Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

My build of this kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gillyg112/06/2020 11:22:53
136 forum posts
21 photos

Bruce

The brown paper i use is the sort that the car sprayers use for masking off.

I'm lucky though in the fact, one ofmy sons, owns a car body shop, so have a ready supply on hand. So if you know anyone in the industry?? See if you can "cadge" the end off a roll. It goes along way.

Cheers Graham ( cornwall)

Ron Gray12/06/2020 11:28:00
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Good on you Richard, can't have too many Warbird Replica kits available, I'll certainly be in the line for more (still not sure about the Spit though!).

Bruce Collinson12/06/2020 11:50:48
543 forum posts

Hi Graham,

Well that's your pilot painted then! Yeras ago I had a client, an aeromodeller and his son and they were the go-to bodyshop in town. His planes were immaculate. I've a retro F3A ready for work but my mate with spraying things is nervous abour Corvids so it sits glowering at me in the mancave.

The brown paper in the farmshop is grocery type on a gurt roll and I spend a lot of money there so I am banking on a cadge, just like stirring sticks for epoxy and pvc gloves for anything, FOC from the independent filling station I always use. Should I weigh a sample? Or even test it on a curved surface? Default is 15gm glasscloth but I'd really like to try to stick to the designer's methods within reason. He's finished exponentially more of them than I have!

BTC

Graham R15/06/2020 22:00:11
364 forum posts
26 photos

Tailwheel arrangement help needed.

Looking at the supplied tailwheel bracket it looks as if the tailwheel will be off centre of the fus . Is this correct.

Any pictures of a complex one would be useful Thanks

RICHARD WILLS16/06/2020 13:52:05
533 forum posts
78 photos

Graham , There is a thin piece of stiff piano wire in the kit to make a leg from . If you cnat find it , use an old push rod.

The wire leaves the axle , runs along the face of the wheel , then cants 45 degrees in to the centre line. At that point it then bends 45 in the opposite direction to bring the leg central .

You can dress the leg up to look two sided if you can be bothered , Do not make it castor ! just fix it straight ahead .,tail wheel.jpg

Graham R16/06/2020 14:05:22
364 forum posts
26 photos

Thank you Richard once again. It’s a problem I don’t usually encounter with tailskid sports models or whisper ’gliders’. Hopefully I got away with mentioning the “G” word without disturbing the masses. 😃😇😇.

Graham R08/07/2020 17:36:38
364 forum posts
26 photos

I am at the stage where I can apply paint to mine. I can't use normal solvent based paints due to health reasons so I am left with acrylics. Having looked at most of the brands, there is quite a variation of colour for shades of the same name.

I know that a number get their emulsion mixed at a diy store. but to do that you need to take a good printed sample which I don't have.

I don't mind which colour scheme. Aircraft will be a mk5 with no invasion stripes. paint will be airbrushed.

Thank you.

Ron Gray08/07/2020 17:40:03
2235 forum posts
978 photos

Graham have a look here at Cassart they do a good range of acrylic and they are good quality and good value for money.

Graham R08/07/2020 17:54:01
364 forum posts
26 photos

Thank you Ron, I am really looking for ready mixed scale colours that can be airbrushed.

RICHARD WILLS08/07/2020 19:19:56
533 forum posts
78 photos

Hi Graham , I appreciate your problem .

Two options , As Ron says , green aerosol , either Cassart or I notice Sussex models say they have Humbrol matt green in aerosol form No AD6080 looks about right . You could rattle can the green first then (I assume you have the grey ) airbrush over the green with grey , or have a look at how Ron did the La7 using aerosols and a stand off mask to get a soft edge .

Secondly , go to B & Q , get some match pots for £1.50 add a tiny bit of water , away you go !

My Ju88 and Heinkel are all B&Q emulsion !

Ron Gray08/07/2020 19:51:34
2235 forum posts
978 photos

If you don't want to go down the rattle can or B & Q route and you want ready mixed / blended warbird colours then Vallejo do them, their Model Air range are specifically for airbrushing.

Jonathan Sharland08/07/2020 22:08:41
34 forum posts

I paint mostly small scale models. Vallejo Model Air is great, good range of colours and easy to use out of the bottle. but can be a bit expensive.

Tamyia do a great range and a 50:50 mix with X-20A will airbrush perfectly everytime. Be aware Tamyia XF range is a partial solvent based but pretty mild.

AK Interactive do some good acrylic paint and they do sets with all the colours in them. AK also do Real colour range but thats not acrylic.

Ammo by MiG is another brand that does good airbrush paint - I just cannot get on with it myself.

I would recommend Tamyia first, mixed as above they will spray almost perfectly every time and you can brush them on too if you want to. But Tamiya paints are not typical acrylics--they contains alcohols in addition to water.

Then Vallejo Model Air is second, this is not as easy to spray and can spit if you don't take care. Also they don't keep as well once opened. But they do come ready mixed and ready to spray out of the bottle. There is also a lot of colours.

AK and Ammo come last. They have a broader range but are more difficult to spray and if your new to airbrusing then I would not go near them.

Lastly is Life Colour, which personally I cannot cannot get on with but is a true Acrylic and comes with the issues that a true acrylic has - i.e. drys on the airbrush needle etc.

• My advice is always use the brands thinners if needed.
  • test on a scrap of similar material to get the flow etc right
  • use a low air pressure and make sure the paint is the right thickness too thick and it will struggle to thin and you will get spiders web splatters

Good luck happy to help more if I can

Graham R09/07/2020 10:57:45
364 forum posts
26 photos

Thank you guys for your help.

I think it’s time I admitted something and get it out in the open. After doing a lot of research I have come to realise that I suffer with a form of ADHD - perfectionism. This is where very little is right and so what will others think. This leads to procrastination, anxiety and round we go again.

In the case of the WB spit, I have spent many hours looking at paint charts from different manufacturers comparing paint colours against pictures (of which non match) and so asking for help.

The same happened with my guitar playing which I have now stopped.

This condition seems to get worse as I get older.

Thank you for reading.

ps. Richard, The bf109 really did fall from a height and broke its back end.

Richard Clark 209/07/2020 11:58:07
422 forum posts
Posted by Graham R on 09/07/2020 10:57:45:

Thank you guys for your help.

I think it’s time I admitted something and get it out in the open. After doing a lot of research I have come to realise that I suffer with a form of ADHD - perfectionism. This is where very little is right and so what will others think. This leads to procrastination, anxiety and round we go again.

In the case of the WB spit, I have spent many hours looking at paint charts from different manufacturers comparing paint colours against pictures (of which non match) and so asking for help.

The same happened with my guitar playing which I have now stopped.

This condition seems to get worse as I get older.

Thank you for reading.

ps. Richard, The bf109 really did fall from a height and broke its back end.

Don't worry. It's common among modellers of all kinds. "Make sure you've got the correct number of buttons on the stationmaster's jacket"

As for the Spitfire Mk 9, the correct colour (though not always used) for the leading edge cloth gun  covers  was formally described as 'Pie dish brown' so not red or yellow. But I've long lost the superb 'Aeromodeller' 1/72 plan that gave the reference

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 09/07/2020 12:01:56

Paul Johnson 409/07/2020 12:27:22
761 forum posts
473 photos

Jonathan,

Please be aware that the reason most of us look for a cheaper source of paint is the small plastic kit tins/bottles range from £2.00 ish to £4.50 ish.

As you will find out a little tin does not go far on a 55" model, before you know it you can easily spend £30 to £40 on paint..!

My Bf110... well don't ask..!

If you want accuracy of colour buy a single tin, paint this onto a piece of white card and take it to B&Q for a sample pot. They are about £3.00 for enough paint to cover 3 or 4 models of that size.

Then you won't have to explain to the Mrs why you spent... HOW MUCH... on your model when the lounge needs painting.

Graham R09/07/2020 12:28:28
364 forum posts
26 photos

Thank you Richard,

I think what I really asking is a picture of somebodies model along with actual acrylic paint shade used so I don't worry that it looks wrong.

Graham R09/07/2020 12:44:26
364 forum posts
26 photos

Thanks Paul, didn't think of that.

Oh !!! what happened to the 110? On Richards suggestion I have been waiting to hear how the maiden when it happens before trying mine.

Ron Gray09/07/2020 13:03:05
2235 forum posts
978 photos
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 09/07/2020 12:

If you want accuracy of colour buy a single tin, paint this onto a piece of white card and take it to B&Q for a sample pot. They are about £3.00 for enough paint to cover 3 or 4 models of that size.

Unless it’s US WWII blue, not one of the local paint mixers (B&Q et al) have been able to match / mix.

Richard Clark 209/07/2020 19:49:09
422 forum posts

Graham,

Getting the 'correct' colours is difficult.

EG: do you want a 1940s 'factory fresh' scheme, a faded one, a probably colour inaccurate restoration, a faded one of those, which particular restoration, etc?

Then there is matt, satin or semi-gloss? Satin look weird, and after seeing service, with oil leaks, cleaning etc, they often ended up quite shiny, particularly noticeable on the darker upper surfaces.

Photos? Colour ones of that period are rare and won't be accurate, modern film colour balance varies, and digital varies again, different from film and different from one make of camera to the next.

Computer monitors vary a lot and the colour is created a different way, with colour created by 'emission' rather than reflection/absorption of daylight on dyed paper.

This may be useful. look an the1938 to 1945 section. It's got the proper colour references, the relevant model paint colours from Humbrol, etc, and click on the 'FS' column and you see the colour (with the monitor limitations above of course)

search for this. It's the Urban's  one you want:

colour reference charts - united kingdom

I admit I gave up on this stuff for ,my TopFlite Spitfire and just uses aerosols from a car shop and then sprayed on a matt coat.. It looked fine to me.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 09/07/2020 20:00:14

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 09/07/2020 20:01:18

Jonathan Sharland09/07/2020 20:33:22
34 forum posts

alL, Getting the colours correct in plastic scale modelling is a well discussed topic.

there are sites you can find that compare the colours from all the major manufatures. And they all look different.

Why well as Richard says there are no colour photos, orginal planes have been repainted in modern colours and restored etc.

The paint faded was chipped covered in oil etc in active service.

One of the master modellers I knows mantra is if your happy then its right.

If you read enough forums you will see people say this plane never had x or chipping never happened like this or that and 2 mins later someone posts a picture that condradicts it all.

So my advise is what do you want it to look like then select the shade for how you want it to look. Then it will be right.

Chasing the most accuate shade is a question that has no real answer.

again these are my personal thoughts.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!