Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

All thumbs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor26/01/2015 04:58:03
1921 forum posts
216 photos

Got 3 flights in yesterday, went ok mainly thanks to my instructor, no crashes laugh Only my problem is only being able to use my thumbs on the sticks, every time I tried using fingers and thumbs I messed up. I've been playing the kids old play station too much.

Does anyone else use just thumbs or do I practise till I master the finger and thumb ?

Bob Rowland26/01/2015 06:29:19
54 forum posts
1 photos

I fly thumbs only.

Always have

Dont think it really matters - whatever is more comfortable and more importantly - safe.

trebor26/01/2015 07:10:23
1921 forum posts
216 photos

Only asking due to the instructor says it's more controllable using fingers as well.

Bob Rowland26/01/2015 07:21:31
54 forum posts
1 photos

Its been a long running debate - both at club level and on many forums!

I can see how people feel they have more control using fingers and thumbs - but it just never worked for me.

Looking at the playstation generation playing games I don't see them lacking any level of control smiley and they are too busy using fingers to launch grenades etc.

I am not trying to undermine what your instructor is working on with you - at the end of the day he may be suggesting you use fingers as well to help you fly with more control. Having not coached you I cant comment.

If you asked all the pilots at your club which way they fly I bet they will all have different ideas.

Look at the different modes everyone fly- we all know mode 2 is the only way, but people persist doing it wronglycheeky

Regards

Bob

trebor26/01/2015 07:37:30
1921 forum posts
216 photos

At the moment I seem to be over compensating stick movements so it's a bit jerky !!

Bob Rowland26/01/2015 07:43:17
54 forum posts
1 photos

All part of the learning curve.

I find that a little expo can help calming things down a bit.

Wait for the gasps from the audience...........

Bob Rowland26/01/2015 07:47:02
54 forum posts
1 photos

Do you have a simulator?

Great way of practising a smooth, controlled flying style.

Added bonus - if you get it wrong you just press the space bar.

trebor26/01/2015 07:53:47
1921 forum posts
216 photos

I've got 20% expo on and 3 different aileron, elevator settings for movement. Also got Phoenix flight sim which I find allot easier to fly.

What I can't under stand is why the instructor uses my tx and I use his on a buddy lead.

simon barr26/01/2015 08:45:24
1039 forum posts
16 photos

Your instructor uses your Tx because that's the one bound to your model's Rx..

The Tx you are using on the buddy lead is purely a slave, so does not need to be bound.

trebor26/01/2015 08:57:09
1921 forum posts
216 photos

I thought he could override if I got into trouble when I was using mine and he was using his with the buddy lead connected. It's because his sticks were set higher than mine and it just felt odd. I'm used to flying mine with the simulator. I've got a Dx6 and the instructors was a Dx8, it just felt odd to me at the time.

Dave Hopkin26/01/2015 09:05:25
3672 forum posts
294 photos

I started off using thumbs (a hang over from boats I guess) and it was suggested using thumb and finger would be better, I tried it, at first I hated it on the sim, but gradually I got used to it and I do think it gives a more precise control but at the end of the day the choice is yours

And dont worry trebor, you mentioned over compensating, I think we all do it when we are learning then gradually we become more subtle with the controls and fly a little smoother - its just stick time thats all

On your sim do you set the wind up and the experience level to high - might help to make life harder on the sim

simon barr26/01/2015 09:13:22
1039 forum posts
16 photos

If your instructor is going to be regular, you could ask him to bind and set-up his Dx8 to your model, so then you can use your Dx6 as the slave. That way, when you finally go solo, you will be useing the Tx that you have become used to.

I have done this on a couple of occasions.

Jon - Laser Engines26/01/2015 09:48:32
5104 forum posts
221 photos

I agree with Simon, setting up the kit so you get used to your own radio will help a lot.

I would also not advise using any expo as you need to learn to be accurate with your stick movements and using expo will not give you this accuracy. Training models are docile enough to not need it anyway. 20% is a lot of expo and if the model is that sensitive just lower the rates. I am responsible for training at my club and all training is done with no expo. I have also reset some of the other guys models to fly with no expo and they have actually found them easier to control. Expo is great when used correctly, but in many cases makes models more difficult to fly as the response to control inputs in non linear.

As for the debate about thumbs, I use finger and thumb as I feel I have greater control and find it more precise. However, when flying fixed wing I tend to use finger/thumb on elevator and rudder and just thumb on the throttle. If im flying a heli I use finger and thumb for both. I find this helps my brain to remember which it is I am flying! There are some exceptions. My small nieuport might as well be a helicopter for all the rudder work it needs so that gets fingers and thumbs for both

Edited By Jon Harper on 26/01/2015 09:51:26

Edited By Jon Harper on 26/01/2015 09:53:42

Shaunie26/01/2015 11:58:57
943 forum posts
78 photos

When I was first taught in the 80's I had been used to boats and was a thumbs only kind of guy (single axis sticks will do it every time). I got told off and told to use finger and thumb, I do think it's better as the grey matter gets more tactile feedback of stick position. To be honest I tend to have thumb on top with finger on the (top)side of the stick. Give that a try.

Shaunie.

trebor26/01/2015 12:12:04
1921 forum posts
216 photos

I've been using Phoenix 5 Sim the High Wing Trainer, then the Pitts Special. I even tried the Electric Precision Acrobatics Addiction which I thought was going to be trouble but was the most stable of the lot surprise I,m pretty sure the real thing wouldn't be.

Old Geezer26/01/2015 12:16:59
660 forum posts

I'm a "Thumb Flier", but I have no option as I have never been able to get used to a neck strap and / or a tray to support my Tx. I think the Thumbs versus Fingers and Thumbs, like Mode 1 versus Mode 2, should be a matter of personal preference - probably going back to the day you picked up a Tx and had your first lesson.

Some folk, regrettably, seem to regard both the above preferences in the same way some folk treat religious and/or political choices -- I would say go with what you feel most comfortable, and most in control. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG MODE OR WAY OF HOLDING THE STICKS - just what suits you best.

trebor26/01/2015 12:18:51
1921 forum posts
216 photos

yes Cheers

Pete B - Moderator26/01/2015 12:43:50
7616 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 26/01/2015 12:16:59:

Some folk, regrettably, seem to regard both the above preferences in the same way some folk treat religious and/or political choices -- I would say go with what you feel most comfortable, and most in control. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG MODE OR WAY OF HOLDING THE STICKS - just what suits you best.

Amen to that!teeth 2

Pete

Jon - Laser Engines26/01/2015 12:51:46
5104 forum posts
221 photos

It is all preference. And a lot comes down you your physical attributes. If you have short fingers its not always easy to get round the radio

john stones 126/01/2015 15:54:52
10874 forum posts
1490 photos

I don't mind saying you're instructors wrong Robert because he is, you should fly whatever method feels comfortable to you and over correcting may be down to you, or too much movement on control surfaces. so speak up and either reduce them a bit or put expo in, again whatever suits you.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us