By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

no wonder the model shop is a dying breed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john melia 129/01/2015 19:22:43
1770 forum posts
24 photos

just been to hobbyking to buy their 30cc msx-r for £132 but unfortunately as usual its on backorder , so thought i'd have a look around and see if i could source one here ,

well i found the exact same model with exactly the same blurb at tjshobbies.co.uk but the price is £200 !!!

**LINK**

no wonder people complain about our model shops

stu knowles29/01/2015 19:32:38
616 forum posts
53 photos

Well when they haven't got one to sell, they can price it anywhere. I have used HK no problems but other have a different experience. If you buy in the YYoo Kaay the chances are that it will arrive in good order and in no time. If it doesn't then you have the law on your side to fall back on. On the other hand, the UK shop has staff wages, rent/rates etc etc etc and they have to make a profit.

I don't see a problem with either price, you gather all the info and make a decision which you feel comfortable with.

Depron Daz29/01/2015 19:34:57
760 forum posts
173 photos

That's the problem. Large companies like HK buy direct from the manufacturers in the 1000's if not more and sell direct to the buyer keeping the prices cheap, whereas UK/Europe distributors buy in the 100's and then each of their shops gets a couple of the items. The prices of buying in smaller quantities are greater, with the add-on of the distributor and the mark up by the shop.

scott finnie29/01/2015 19:35:43
756 forum posts
95 photos
You're not alone. I seen a zinger propeller I want for ?27.99 online but on back order! Went into my local shop and they really weren't interested. Though if I paid ?52 he could get me one. Seems that the lms in Scotland are all turning to quads and fpv ect now it's easy money and big money for cheap plastic (phantom) toys rather than looking after there long serving customers needs. Lancaster model shop though a 3 hour drive away where most helpful in sourcing items I needed at the best price recently.. Yeap sadly once the "I want a drone" days have past they will crumble!

Edited By scott finnie on 29/01/2015 19:36:31

Edited By scott finnie on 29/01/2015 19:37:01

john melia 129/01/2015 19:36:34
1770 forum posts
24 photos

i beleive they bought it from hk uk warehouse and marked it up to sell , like i say they have even used hk's info word for word

john melia 129/01/2015 19:37:16
1770 forum posts
24 photos

wouldnt mind paying a little bit more but £68 more , no chance

Paul Marsh29/01/2015 19:40:26
4111 forum posts
1245 photos

It's like Spektrum AR 610 rx's. You can get genuine Spektrum rx's on line for@

AR 610 DSMX £23 on line inc Free delivery. Model shop: £44

AR400 DSMX £18 inc delivery, £24 at model shop.

Basically you can buy both and still have some money left to buy a chippy dinner!

john melia 129/01/2015 19:43:44
1770 forum posts
24 photos

yeah pretty shocking really , i'll aait until its back in stock

Sam Wragg29/01/2015 19:46:47
171 forum posts
219 photos

Before you slate model shops take a step back open your eyes and ask yourself this.

How much does it cost to fill the shelves? 10's of thousands

Who can give you good advice.

Are you prepared to work for nothing? No doubt the answer is no........ well don't expect others too.

Nothing wrong with buying off the Web but don't expect your local hobby shop to sort you out when it all goes wrong.

You make you your chioce and pays your money

Support your Hobby shop

Sam

Allan Bennett29/01/2015 19:47:48
1775 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Depron Daz on 29/01/2015 19:34:57:

That's the problem. Large companies like HK buy direct from the manufacturers in the 1000's if not more and sell direct to the buyer keeping the prices cheap, whereas UK/Europe distributors buy in the 100's and then each of their shops gets a couple of the items. The prices of buying in smaller quantities are greater, with the add-on of the distributor and the mark up by the shop.

The problem goes deeper than that: I had no problem getting an Align T-Rex 500 heli from my local model shop and, later, an Align T-Rex 550. Their prices were competitive with on-line retailers. But I had no luck getting any spares for them; the shop owner, after trying for several weeks, told me the distributor was just not interested in small value orders.

john melia 129/01/2015 19:52:17
1770 forum posts
24 photos

just been chatting to hk , they said it maybe 30 days before its back in stock , i can wait , got plenty to fly in the meantime

john melia 129/01/2015 20:04:57
1770 forum posts
24 photos

does anyone know if the hobbyking uk warehouse was trading four years ago

extra slim29/01/2015 20:13:48
505 forum posts
49 photos

It really is a crying shame that our model shops are disappearing. However my dealings with most uk stores over the past 5 yrs have been as painful as sending anything back to hong dongfrown

Wrong part sent, ordered online, then no stock, damaged obviously old stock sent.....really annoying, then met with obnoxious attitude as though I am some kid buying a quadcopter....depressing, and the model store owners are acting like a defeated bunch.

i must say the exception are the guys and gals at Nexus who have really given it a throw of the dice IMO, and jolly good luck to um, fingers crossed they get the support from us.

Just my my personal experience and by no means a generalisation, but I can only base what I write on what I am experiencing.

i wouldn't she'll out an extra £68, no chance, but a few quid more from a good efficient model shop....defo

cymaz29/01/2015 20:25:50
9450 forum posts
1241 photos

Well, if RCworld can give good fast service and at comprable prices to anywhere else on the web...then others have to step up to.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator29/01/2015 20:33:21
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I think that drawing generalised conclusions on the basis of this one example is very iffy! From what I can see this dealer is mainly buying HK stuff marking it up then selling it on - that's his business! This is not how other model shops work. This guy makes his money from

a) folks who don't know any better and that they can buy from HK direct, or

b) exactly this situation where he's going say "You can buy it cheaper at HK? Great - you go and buy it there then. Oh sorry, I forgot, they haven't got it have they!" And some people are very impatient!

This model is not available anywhere else you can't compare like with like - its a HK commisioned special - he only has it via this stunt of buying it from HK! So to brand the whole LMS industry on the basis of this one-off special case - is I feel a bit unfair!

BEB

Pete B - Moderator29/01/2015 20:42:43
7688 forum posts
735 photos
Posted by john melia 1 on 29/01/2015 19:22:43:

just been to hobbyking to buy their 30cc msx-r for £132 but unfortunately as usual its on backorder , so thought i'd have a look around and see if i could source one here ,

Has it occurred to you, John, that the reason it is on backorder at Hobbyking is probably because retailers like those in your link buy up the stock when it arrives, bung on a wedge for themselves and then wait for the mugs to flock to their door?

That website looks like a budget version of Hobbyking's shop window.....

Pete

john stones 129/01/2015 20:44:33
11761 forum posts
1521 photos

I use TJ's quite a bit, I get the personal touch, never had an argument over faulty goods or been let down yet, you either pay the price advertised or shop elsewhere.

Sometimes I wonder why more are not running model shops it's all made to sound very easy at timescrook

I feel I ought to warn you though...modellers can be a funny lot surprise

John

John Privett29/01/2015 20:45:10
6106 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by john melia 1 on 29/01/2015 20:04:57:

does anyone know if the hobbyking uk warehouse was trading four years ago

UK warehouse opened in summer 2012.

Erfolg29/01/2015 21:02:56
11857 forum posts
1360 photos

The demise of the LMS is something that we are constantly debating, why it should not be allowed to happen and what we all need to do to ensure the continued good health of the LMS.

A lot is made of the the support and personal service of the local shop. The question is how real is this service, and if real how much are we prepared to pay?

My answer would be based on what has happened in the grocery trade. At the end of the day it is cost and convenience that we value more. I would go as far as to suggest, that often we are more interested in speed of service, not wanting to wait and having access to a vast range of products.

On all of these counts the Internet wins. With grocery shopping we no longer expect to chat when paying. This is also true of the local mini marts. Habits change.

Can the LMS be saved? I suspect not in its current form, that is other than the best stocked hyper model shop. Although we may not know, that the LMS does not have a model in stock, when browsing, we do notice the fact as with the the Internet.

We may baulk at a 10, 20 or 30 day wait for an item to get back in stock on the Internet. It is often no different for a special order at the LMS.

I do keep repeating the basic overhead problem that the LMS has, in rates and many other, virtually unavoidable overheads. It is true and has to be paid for, if the LMS is to stay in business. With these overheads, the turn over has to be high, which suggests to me the need to also be an Internet trader. Get the volume of trade up, means that it is possible to have a higher stock level. One constraint is being that there are only about 30, 000 BMFA members of all categories, which could indicate that ther may only be 100, 000 modellers in the country. This could indicate that there is only room for a few shops in the whole of the UK. In addition the wholesalers et al need to be taken out of their chain, to contain costs.

Of course I am wrong, at least in some aspects, as I have never known a prediction to be spot on, near maybe but not exact.

Edited By Erfolg on 29/01/2015 21:03:43

Area 5129/01/2015 21:17:14
653 forum posts
1 photos

Is the model you need in an EU warehouse by chance? the exchange rate at present is good so it may swing a saving and reduce the wait time.. just a thought.. smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!