Forum sponsored by CML

Flair Etrich Taube

to build the wing with operating ailerons

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Coomes03/02/2015 10:58:56
9 forum posts

Has anybody built this kit and modified the wing to include operating ailerons

any info on this "non scale" modification and results when flying would be of great interest

Rob Ashley29/06/2015 14:04:38
256 forum posts
86 photos

Hi Brian,

I picked one of these up from a swap meet and have yet to fly it. Sorry to say that this one that has not been modified to include ailerons - but I do not have the plans or info for the CG. I don't suppose you have it in the information pack in your kit?

Hope the build goes well.

Rob

PeterF29/06/2015 15:58:41
536 forum posts
732 photos

Brian,

I built one of these around 10 years ago and it has been flying a lot since then, my favourite warm summer afternoon flyer on a cool day. I have an OS 40 four stroke in mine, a bit overkill but running a 12x5 prop you can putter around the sky for ages at 1/3 throttle and it sound just so cool. Everyone at the club admires it so I thoroughly recommend building one.

I did not add ailerons to mine and after as long as I have had mine, I have not felt the need to have them fitted, with so much dihedral I am not sure how effective ailerons would be anyway as they would be fighting the inherent stability.

The one thing I did do that was not on the kit was to add bracing wires from the top and bottom of the fin post to the back of the tailplane. I found that the tailplane as flexible and when you pulled full elevator it actually bent the tailplane down, which was more effective at diving the plane than the elevator was at climbing it. It cost me a nose area rebuild to find that out. The bracing wires are not present in these photos which were taken before I had my learning experience.

a5683453-165-pb110017.jpg

a5683452-116-p5050026.jpg

a5416418-72-p5050011.jpg

a5416419-84-pic-003.jpg

Stevo29/06/2015 16:07:25
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Athing of beauty. Why did Flair stop producing them, amongst other things...

John Olsen 129/06/2015 22:57:02
446 forum posts
23 photos

My son has the Balsa USA version of a Taube, in the smaller size. (60 size engine) That one does not have ailerons, while their larger one does. I had some correspondence with them at the time we built it, and they feel that the ailerons are not actually necessary. This seems to be born out by the way it flies, the rudder puts a bank on very effectively. Although it is obviously not an aerobatic aircraft, it is very pleasant to fly. Remember that the full size would not have been doing aileron rolls either! If you want to be really authentic, you could build it with a more scale like structure and include the wing warping.

John

stu knowles30/06/2015 08:03:55
606 forum posts
49 photos

This is mine. I;m not sure that adding ailerons is worth the effort. Its a great model for ghosting about at low level and minimum revs on a calm day but not so good at anything else really. I would enjoy it for what it is. I have also supported the tail with bracing wires.Th wires on the wing are just elastic. Any king post projecting below the wing has to be made from flexible material or it will break on take off or landing

stu knowles01/07/2015 08:02:21
606 forum posts
49 photos

just testing why the pic above was so small. Sorted now wink

Edited By stu knowles on 01/07/2015 08:03:36

Ernie01/07/2015 08:49:42
2530 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Brian, I dont think you need ailerons, It's fine on rudder only. Of course, you could try to warp the wings as per full size Difficult, but not impossible

ernie

Phil Green01/07/2015 09:20:20
1598 forum posts
339 photos

I think ailerons would look terrible on a Taube unless they were very well hidden.

Brian Coomes06/07/2015 10:33:30
9 forum posts

Hi .Good Morning to you all, Many thanks for the advice and experience regarding the Flair Taube and possible tailerons . Ill take that on board and build without them and let all know how I get along with it Some of the pics you have sent are excellent and the builds look really good I might just copy some of the colour schemes that you have adopted I will be putting the plans for the Taube on the building board as soon as I finally complete my lengthy build of the 1/3 scale Druine Turbulent that seems to have taken for ever but hopefully will be worth it...Does anybody know where to get a 1/3 scale full body pilot that doesn't cost a fortune ? Again many thanks to all Brian

ken anderson.06/07/2015 10:36:58
8683 forum posts
808 photos

hello stu-that look's like a nice model you have there.

ken Anderson...ne...1... admiration dept.

stu knowles06/07/2015 20:15:15
606 forum posts
49 photos

Thanks Ken, If you had seen it in January you might have thought differently, A good scrub with cellulose thinners and a repaint were well worth the effort. Flew it yesterday morning in the flat calm. Set the throttle and trims and see how many laps of the field it will do before it needs a prod on the stick, - followed by a few knee high fly bys..... lovely!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!