Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Meade19/05/2015 14:40:59
2760 forum posts
717 photos

Shame about the broken one, but the flying shots look spot on sir yes

stuey19/05/2015 14:55:27
607 forum posts
12 photos

As Andy said, shame about the handlaunch version. It does look very good flying! Are you going to have the chance to try a bungee launch Tony?

Steve Adams19/05/2015 20:19:35
196 forum posts

Absolutely Stunning Tony,

Will the plan be in mag before the mossie? Your persistence with these model jets seems to always pay off in the end this seems like the Vulcan were it not for the failure you wouldn't have had success. You truly are a master

Keep up the good work

Kind Regards

Steve yesteeth 2

Tony Nijhuis20/05/2015 00:51:32
609 forum posts
233 photos

Thanks Steve for your kind words.......If you look hard enough at any failure, there will always be something positive you can take from it and persistence always seems to pays off.....touch woodwink

I have never used a bungee launch before and as the broken hawk would have been the test bed....im not planning on building another so I'll show a hook position but it will be down to the experts out there to test the theory...

As we have all the photos, we shall pop the plan in the September or October issue, just before the Autumn Special and the mossi

Bill_B20/05/2015 12:58:45
1145 forum posts
11 photos

THESE are far superior to the simple bungee and stake normally seen at clubs and are very easy to make. It's also more compact than the launch ramp systems sometimes employed.

Tony Nijhuis20/05/2015 23:37:04
609 forum posts
233 photos

Yes I have seen Jepe using these years ago

Dose anyone know where I can get a suitable hook or is it a case of making one?

Bill_B21/05/2015 04:17:53
1145 forum posts
11 photos

For a hook I usually use an old piece of partially threaded metal pushrod and put an 80° bend into it just where the threaded part begins. The smooth part of the pushrod is where the bungee ring slides onto, and the threaded end goes through a ply plate let into the fuselage bottom with a nut & washer either side. I find this is more than adequate for EDFs up to 70mm.

Bill_B21/05/2015 12:13:21
1145 forum posts
11 photos

A picture says a thousand words......image.jpg

Tony Nijhuis21/05/2015 21:50:16
609 forum posts
233 photos

Thanks Bill....very helpfulsmiley

Tony Nijhuis26/05/2015 14:15:42
609 forum posts
233 photos

So another weekend of testing and the model is pretty well sorted now.

The heavier retract version I have concluded is strictly for tarmac or very short cut strips. I have flown the hawk at both Hastings and Headcorn grass strips. The Hastings strip although is longer is not cut as short as Headcorn and so it did struggle to get off. Wasn't helped by the strip just being cut and the fan ingesting grass cuttings.

So the Headcorn strip proved to be the better this weekend.

The 11 bladed 6S Hobbyking fan is great and model sound like an turbine modelsmiley. Three flights yesterday and all very enjoyable. Its seems a good head wind dose help to get the model off and help slow her down for landings. She does come in at a rate of knots so learning to use the flap will help.

Having retracts with this size and weight of model dose mean your landings have to be spot on every time. I did pull one of the retracts out on landing yesterday...due mainly to my naff flying ability....but hey, the repair was easier than i thought.

Now sitting here weighing up the pros and cons of the retract version against the lighter bungee launch (don't bother to hand launch), the benefits are weighing heavily towards the retract-less simpler and lighter version. This is based on the flying seems a little crisper (due to the lighter weight) and avoidance of retract damage. Belly landing the model is a doddle....

I have also concluded that with a 70mm fan, you really are at the limits of a plan built model. I say this because a conventional balsa wood model can not compete against the lightness of a foame, which is where you can find most of the 70mm fan designs. Notwithstanding this, the Hawk has ample power once airbourne and will fly on half stick

I think for future designs, I'll use the 90mm fan units as a basis.

Bill_B26/05/2015 14:23:14
1145 forum posts
11 photos

THIS may be of use to help launch the Hawk, although personally I prefer the JEPE dolly.

stuey26/05/2015 15:50:35
607 forum posts
12 photos

Thanks for the update Tony. Looking at the pics, I cant see any reason why a 80mm fan would not go in there. It is going to be a 6S model anyway, so its a step up from the current 4S models. That is until my Freewing 90mm Eurofighter is ready! I look forward to the plan, and to see if it will take the 80mm.

Tony Nijhuis27/05/2015 00:03:32
609 forum posts
233 photos

Thanks Bill, I'll be trying the JEPE one.....

Thanks Stuey....its not so much the power but the scale retract with tiny wheels that limits the model and flying location. Moving to a slightly larger size of model, the weight will not greatly increase but its usefulness will. If you bulge the fuselage slightly of this Hawk, an 80mm fan would fit very easily, but its not the answer....I do like to keep the wing loading as low as possible and generally larger models allow this to happen....

Tripwire21/06/2015 16:16:02
16 forum posts

I saw a copy of RCM&E today and it was stated therein that the plan should be included in either the August or September issue. I have marked my calendar accordingly.

Earlier in the thread, someone encouraged TN to design a Folland Gnat. I've long wanted to build one of those - a great-looking aircraft. If TN could turn his talent to designing one, I would be a very happy man.

Edited By Tripwire on 21/06/2015 16:16:52

Tony F21/06/2015 18:14:30
484 forum posts
105 photos
I'd vote for a TN Buccaneer , how about it Tony

Tony
lightning 75922/06/2015 08:16:12
148 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Tony F on 21/06/2015 18:14:30:
I'd vote for a TN Buccaneer , how about it Tony

Tony

Yes Please I,ll second that yes

Andy

Steve Adams22/06/2015 23:59:32
196 forum posts

Blackburn Buccaneer....and or a Hawker Siddley Harrier showing all mks VSTOL is just a dream for models,but oh how we can look forward to the future!

Stevelaugh

Tony Nijhuis24/06/2015 13:24:32
609 forum posts
233 photos

Well talk about demanding!!!!wink....now then, I did experiment with a Harrier mixing a pair of rotating fans for hover and forward thrust and quadcopter thrust props to 'gimble' the model in hover......not quite there yet but not beaten either

Alan Pennington24/06/2015 14:37:10
174 forum posts
46 photos

Keep up the good work Tony. Great hawk

All the best

Alan

David Ashby - Moderator29/06/2015 14:38:56
10987 forum posts
1706 photos
614 articles
Posted by Tripwire on 21/06/2015 16:16:02:

I saw a copy of RCM&E today and it was stated therein that the plan should be included in either the August or September issue. I have marked my calendar accordingly.

Earlier in the thread, someone encouraged TN to design a Folland Gnat. I've long wanted to build one of those - a great-looking aircraft. If TN could turn his talent to designing one, I would be a very happy man.

Edited By Tripwire on 21/06/2015 16:16:52

Sept issue confirmed thumbs up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!