Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Decals over brown paper and emulsion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy318/03/2015 19:37:41
3467 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all, have covered my current model with brown paper, and painted with emulsion, but not yet fuel proofed. I have a very small amount of Profilm available for a one off shot of my own decals. When applying the decals, would my iron have any effect on the B/P covering and emulsion beneath. Thanks.

cymaz18/03/2015 20:27:01
8489 forum posts
1161 photos

Have you tried waterslide transfer decal paper?

It comes in white or clear. And in inkjet or laser print.

Easily available from eBay

Edited By cymaz on 18/03/2015 20:31:08

kc19/03/2015 11:29:59
5901 forum posts
168 photos

As with all such questions the answer is to make a scrap sample piece and try it out on that first before risking the actual model.

Solartrim might be safer if you don't want to make a sample and test it. Or just build the Profilm decal onto a Solartrim base to stick onto the brown paper /emulsion.

Engine Doctor19/03/2015 13:29:40
2221 forum posts
21 photos

If the profilm will stick to the emulsion it should be be ok . Just dont use a high enough temp to melt any foam underneath surprise

fly boy319/03/2015 20:17:24
3467 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks all for your suggestions. Cymaz, a good idea, but I have no printer. LoL. Perhaps the Profilm would have a better chance of sticking if I varnish model first as it need to be fuel proofed. No foam in this model, all sheeted balsa. Cheers

onetenor19/03/2015 20:32:56
1900 forum posts

Waterslide decal paper or old fashioned gummed labels.. ( ones you lick ) Draw design on the gummed side. This gives raised ridges so you can paint on the paper side really easily using enamels or similar. Use as normal waterslide transfers. Cheap and easy

onetenor19/03/2015 20:32:57
1900 forum posts

Waterslide decal paper or old fashioned gummed labels.. ( ones you lick ) Draw design on the gummed side. This gives raised ridges so you can paint on the paper side really easily using enamels or similar. Use as normal waterslide transfers. Cheap and easy

Dave Hopkin19/03/2015 21:44:30
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by onetenor on 19/03/2015 20:32:57:

Works better if you put a coat of dope over the gum before painting the design, then when ready for use, dunk the whole lot in water, till the gum softens, slide off into place (just like the old Airfix transfers) job done

fly boy320/03/2015 21:02:24
3467 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks Dave , a good budget option. I like it. Thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us