By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What did you want to do as a kid, when you grew up, what would you chose in hindsight ?

Keep it clean please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john stones 128/03/2015 21:38:18
11688 forum posts
1517 photos

I wanted to play for Tottenham Hotspur, Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower were my heroes, now I wish I had been smart enough to be an Archaeologist. As I get older the more history fascinates mecrook

John

andyh28/03/2015 21:47:59
429 forum posts
22 photos

with hindsight, I'd choose the correct lottery numbers

Tim Hooper28/03/2015 21:48:08
2914 forum posts
2412 photos

Sadly I was pretty directionless as a youth, and just drifted from job to job - a trend that has continued throughout my middle years. You name it, and I'll do it!

With the wisdom of hindsight, I would have liked to have discovered the art of photography as a child, become qualified, and then done a stint as a cruise ship/travel photographer before moving on to earn the big money in the celebrity portrait field. Oh well.......

tim (Canis Lupus Exclusion Technician)

John Privett28/03/2015 22:09:22
6091 forum posts
243 photos

I still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. I'll be 57 next birthday...

Dave Hopkin28/03/2015 22:43:26
3672 forum posts
294 photos

I always wanted to join the Army, travel to exotic places, meet exotic people and bayonet them......

I did and I didnt! - took the quens shilling (actually a fiver!) up, took over my troop, but the recruiting posters of water skiing with dusky maidens on far off sun kissed beaches somehow transmogrified into sub zero "camping" trips on Hohne training area or long holidays in the not very sun kissed streets and fields on the Emerald Isle - with the occassional sojurns in that semi tropical paradise known as Catterick a place not known for water sking opportunities - should I sue the MOD?

If I had my time again? Do exactly the same again probably!

Geoff S28/03/2015 22:45:25
3818 forum posts
49 photos

I'd been building and playing with radios from the age of about 13 and I wanted to do something in that line. In 1956 I went for an interview at Ericssons in Beeston for an apprenticeship. When I explained my interests, the interviewer (who I now think was probably a personel type rather than an engineer) showed me a 3000 type relay with loads of contacts and told me electroncs in telephone communications would never happen because you'd need a transistor for every one of the relay contacts! I suppose he was excused a little as transistors had only been invented 7 years earlier and I was well clued up on valves anyway.

After a bit of indirection I ended up as an electronics design engineer though without the degree that would have made it much easier. Effectively I wanted to do a job that hadn't really properly started to be one. Still, I managed to retire nearly 20 years ago when I was 55 so it wasn't all bad

In the fantasy stakes I fancied being a works supported motor cycle trials rider but, as I couldn't even afford a trials bike to get started, that was always a non-starter. Well that and the fact I was never even half good enough when I did get a bike.

Geoff

john stones 128/03/2015 22:49:41
11688 forum posts
1517 photos
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 28/03/2015 22:43:26:

I always wanted to join the Army, travel to exotic places, meet exotic people and bayonet them......

I did and I didnt! - took the quens shilling (actually a fiver!) up, took over my troop, but the recruiting posters of water skiing with dusky maidens on far off sun kissed beaches somehow transmogrified into sub zero "camping" trips on Hohne training area or long holidays in the not very sun kissed streets and fields on the Emerald Isle - with the occassional sojurns in that semi tropical paradise known as Catterick a place not known for water sking opportunities - should I sue the MOD?

I spent 2 years driving from Donny to Catterick to bring daughter in law to ours for the weekend, there's loads of waterskiing opportunities, you just never looked proper cheeky

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 28/03/2015 22:53:40

Dave Hopkin28/03/2015 22:56:59
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 28/03/2015 22:49:41:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 28/03/2015 22:43:26:

I spent 2 years driving from Donny to Catterick to bring daughter in law to ours for the weekend, there's loads of waterskiing opportunities, you just never looked proper cheeky

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 28/03/2015 22:53:40

Somehow breaking the ice to get the ski's in never held that much appeal.........

Bill_B28/03/2015 22:59:19
1145 forum posts
11 photos

I always wanted to join the RAF, but somehow ended up in Aerospace instead. sad

Shouldn't complain though, it's paid the bills and allowed me to mess with model planes, amongst other things.

Delta Foxtrot28/03/2015 23:05:05
566 forum posts
91 photos

I wanted to be a spitfire pilot, but sadly there was not a lot of call for these when it came to talk with the careers officer.

I also remember coming home for school and hearing that RR had gone bust and thinking that it would have been a great place to work not realising that would eventually lead to 30 year career working with jet engines.

Funny how life turns out 😀

Lindsay Todd28/03/2015 23:08:00
1757 forum posts
1825 photos

I always wanted to be a film/theatre director or a Vet, sadly being a very shy individual in my early years I lacked the ego and drive for the first and the academic aptitude for the latter. Oh and I wanted to win Wimbledon but lacked the skill for that as well - pretty hopeless case really. I wish I had had more confidence and self belief but I was brought up in a kids should be seen and not heard and don't take chances or risks environment. I hope I don't regret not doing things as I get older but those old childhood traits run deep. The closest I came to movie direction was making some films for manufacturing processes to be transferred from one plant to another but hey its a start.

cymaz28/03/2015 23:09:21
9376 forum posts
1214 photos

Wanted to be a lorry driver then policeman then lorry driver then in the RAF then police. Entered agriculture .................been a hgv driver for nearly 30 years.

richard cohen28/03/2015 23:45:18
289 forum posts
37 photos

i was torn between becoming a farmer or joining the Royal Marines. Realised that my body can't cope with cold temperatures so both outdoor roles were out. Ended up taking a saturday job at a garage, then an apprenticeship in the workshop, getting my papers, moving from technician to service reception, then to service manager for 3 franchises. Then got out of main dealership and now run a small independent garage - less stress, nicer customers, better hours (more time to fly). Biggest regret ?.....being offered an apprenticeship in a classic car restoration firm and thinking that making wooden chassis's, machining new pistons and panel beating to restore anything from early 1900 cars to 1970's race cars wasn't proper mechanics thinking what a plum !

cymaz28/03/2015 23:51:20
9376 forum posts
1214 photos

Biggest regret....not taking up the chance to work in Minnesota when I was in my early twenties....slap head teeth

David Davis29/03/2015 07:42:24
3851 forum posts
741 photos

As a youth I wanted to be a pilot or a barrister but I found out that I got air-sick quite easily and that I lacked the qualifications necessary to become a barrister so those two were out.

I spent much of my twenties and thirties as a youth and community worker and in my forties I qualified as a careers adviser. On the final day at college each tutor group put on a sketch based on something we'd learned on the course. My group's sketch brought the house down and lots of newly qualified careers advisers and the course tutors said that I should have been an actor! I know what they mean.

If I'd known then what I know now I would have chosen to be a psychiatric nurse, that would have suited me.

Biggest regret? Not taking the opportunity to study music at the age of eleven because the teacher shouted a lot. I've always liked to sing.

Edited By David Davis on 29/03/2015 07:44:14

Edited By David Davis on 29/03/2015 07:46:18

TheFlyingCrust29/03/2015 08:19:22
611 forum posts
67 photos

I never knew what I wanted to do, even right up to leaving school. I drifted into engineering and quite enjoyed my apprenticeship as a civilian in the MOD. Mainly mine warfare and countermeasures.

In my early 20's I'd realised maybe I'd missed my vocation and looked at healthcare - but I was a young man and enjoying the activities we get up to. I was a half-decent club level rally driver and also enjoyed nights out with the lads. But in them days nursing wasn't an occupation you associated as male. so I never bit the bullet.

Then with the onset of family life the opportunity disappered.

At the beginning of the 90's I took voluntary redundancy and with the money I was able to pursue my heart, 18 years a staff nurse and loved every minute of it. Retired from it in 2011. Would I do it again? Probably not when I see what's happening to the NHS.

Biggest joy? Meeting the love of my life. And my family

Biggest regret? Not biting that bullet - but then I wouldn't have met SWMBO.

Ian

Edited By TheFlyingCrust on 29/03/2015 08:24:09

John F29/03/2015 08:20:33
1316 forum posts
51 photos

Left school and trained as a Chef. Worked for two years and after finding two restaurants closing mid week, with windolene on the windows, still owing us wages, I decided to join the RAF after seeing a job advert in the paper.

They were desperate to sign me up as a Chef and promised promotion quickly as I was already qualified but I wanted to do something different so chose Medic instead. I knew how to give food poisoning and now know how to cure it!

I am out of the RAF next year after 27 1/2 years (have to leave RAF to release pension as part of divorce.) So now looking at options. (I've heard the exclamations before - Yes, the courts CAN order you to give up your job to release pension).

So, at the moment, looking at options but would like to try for Train Driver as the shifts would not bother me and, to be honest I like early starts, office 9 - 5 just doesn't appeal.

Former Member29/03/2015 08:25:26
8090 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Peter Miller29/03/2015 08:55:58
11474 forum posts
1365 photos
10 articles

As a kid I had various ideas, Police, Archaeologist and then later RAF pilot. My eyesight and rather patchy education due to moving round abroad with my parents let me down on that last one

If I could not be a pilot I wanted to work on aircraft so 12 years as an airframe mechanic and then airframe fitter in the RAF and then maintenance fitter in local factories.

I can't think of anything that I would change.

Sam Wragg29/03/2015 08:56:14
171 forum posts
219 photos

Remind me not to become an Engineer next time round....... Its a thankless task.......Underpaid & undervalued...

...Well; you are in this country that's unless you're a "Domestic(joke) Engineer"

Sam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!