Forum sponsored by CML

Super Tigre 40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Diamond Geezer03/11/2007 15:09:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Guys

Got a taxi cup ll with a super tigre 40, run the engine in as per the insructions flown the plane a couple of times but the engine is not right,the needle valve does not seem to do very much at all it runs very erratic,does not seem to have much power when taking off nearly run out of runway, the plane just about seems to get up in the air with a bit of a struggle,been to the field this morning to ask some of the lads we have cleaned out the carb changed fuel changed plugs,all to no avail they suggest sending it back but wondered if any of you guys might be able to help can only get the engine to run when the needle valve is only 1 turn from the closed position turn it in the engine falters turn it out it does the same.

00103/11/2007 16:49:00
2212 forum posts
1 photos

Hello D.G. Have you checked all the fuel system, tank, tubes etc.for air leaks, kinked tubes, klunk touching back of tank, height of tank?  If the engine is new, normally S.T. engines are very good and will run well even if the mixture setting is a bit out.

If you have the instruction book go back and read it thoroughly, you may have missed something. If it is a secondhand or an old engine it may have some dirt or congealed oil in the carb. Try to borrow another carb. and try that if you can before returning the engine. (Unless it is under guarantee of course). Hope that helps.......

Tim Mackey03/11/2007 18:09:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

As Richard says really ( Hi Richard )

There is a fairly long thread on here somewhere from someone with a similar problem, you may want to check it out - wil link if I can find it.

As you mention that the needle valve does not seem to alter things much, it does suggest fuel problems. Pretty well all modern 2T model engines are designed around the same basic principle, and are simple enough to be generally foolproof. If the basic conditions are met then the engine should run. Fuel, air, compression, ignition. Almost always, engine problems are down to one of these basics being incorrect. check out the two links below to see if they help. The second, although for Webra engines, gives a lot of universal info.

http://www.rcadvice.com/How-To-Tune-Your-Model-Airplane-Engine.asp

http://www.swanyshouse.com/engines/motor.pdf

Diamond Geezer04/11/2007 10:25:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Richard

Hello Timbo

the motor is new run in as the book says,the taxi cup 2 is a graupner artf and came coplete with tank so as its an an artf i presume the tank height is correct there is no air bubbles present as one of the chaps at the club is pretty good with engines and been building for some time checked it over for me and he does'nt know

Diamond Geezer04/11/2007 10:31:00
334 forum posts
8 photos
HI Timbo the engine runs it just seems to lavk power its ok on the ground in the pits but when you nose up after a few seconds it seems to die off nose it back down it picks up again but tweeking with the n/valve don't seem to make any difference,also set the tickover on the ground nice and slow but when i get enough power to take off i say when! the engine then races away and ican't land the bludie thing cos the tickover is so fast ihave to knock the trim right down again then come in d/stick
Tim Mackey04/11/2007 10:37:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Are you sure the throttle servo / linkage / etc is actually operating over the ful and correct range of movement? Also, check that the throttle rotor and lever assembly itself is not loose or slipping, or sticking. Have you tried running the engine out of the airplane, using a manula throtttle linkage?

When you say it dies off when you nose up, that sounds like it is a little too lean. Do you do a full vertical nose up, full throttle test on the ground after tuning the needle ?

Diamond Geezer04/11/2007 10:47:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

The servo is ok the throttle is opening and closing ok,and yep I do avertical nose up after turning the needle but as I said something does not seem right cos the n/valve is only open 1 turn from the closed position any more or less it won't start

Tim Mackey04/11/2007 10:52:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
1 turn open is not that unusual actually, I have an SC 90 which runs spot on with the needle open just one turn. Try it out of the airplane, with a different tank and manual linkage, you are going to have to use a process of elimination here me thinks....
Diamond Geezer04/11/2007 10:58:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

thanks for your help Timbo

Shaun K05/11/2007 03:20:00
192 forum posts
38 photos

Hi Diamond Geezer, I had a problem with an OS 32F that sounds identical to yours, as has a club mate with an ASP 46. Spent hours trying to tune the @#$... thing to no avail. I even decided that it was due to my home made in-fuselage exhaust, so I removed it, rebuilt the front end of the plane to suit the original exhaust but much to my horror the problem had not gone away!

Finally decided to pull the thing apart and found the fuel inlet blocked with tiny pieces of grass. My club mate found plastic shavings in his fuel inlet from the inside of a brand new fuel tank. After discussing this with other club mates a lengthy discussion on the need to rinse new fuel tanks out with a few splashes of clean fuel before installing them.

Your problem may be similar. I'd pull out the tools, remove the carby and take out the fuel line nipple from the carby and see if there's anything stuck in behind it.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Diamond Geezer05/11/2007 07:14:00
334 forum posts
8 photos
thx shaun i'll take a look
00105/11/2007 07:59:00
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Hello Diamond Geezer, earlier you say that 'the engine was run in' - this seems to indicate that it was operating OK at that time. What happened between that time and the first flight? Was it run in in the same model or on a test stand with the same or different tank/fuel/tubes?
Diamond Geezer06/11/2007 18:35:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Ric

same model same tank same set up the only thing that happened was that the guy who was teaching me at the time put it through a hedge row the engine was ok but i had a few major repairs to do to the plane now i've tried to fly it i have this problem rotors and motors have agreed that something is not right only having the needle valve open 1 turn when the book says 3,they said if i get no joy to send it back to them with my tank and they'll test it fix it or replace it

00106/11/2007 21:54:00
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Ok. Might have bent the needle valve slightly (more likely to make it run lean though), probably best to send it back if you have tried everything else. Let us know the result.
Diamond Geezer06/11/2007 22:48:00
334 forum posts
8 photos
ok
Peter Christy07/11/2007 08:29:00
1518 forum posts

Diamond Geezer,

What fuel are you running? Remember, STs only like straight - they shouldn't be run on nitro, or you will get all sorts of odd issues.

In addition to STs, I've also got a GSM25 (Chinese?) and an AirSupply 40 (Japanese) that refuse to run properly if they get even a whiff of nitro! Yet both run like turbines on straight!

--

Pete

Diamond Geezer07/11/2007 18:40:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Pete

model technics dynaglo straight

Peter Christy07/11/2007 19:58:00
1518 forum posts

Yes, that should be fine.

I prefer fully synthetic myself - I use Bekra Straight - as it doesn't bake on to the engines like fuels with castor in them, but it ought to run fine on Dynaglo.

Send it back to Mick Wilshere. He's very good on repairs, despite the gruff manner on the 'phone!

;-)

--

Pete

Diamond Geezer07/11/2007 23:06:00
334 forum posts
8 photos
You've dealt with him as well then!!!!!
Peter Christy08/11/2007 07:52:00
1518 forum posts

Oh, yes! I know him well!

Seriously though, I doubt if it is a motor problem - it does sound like a weird fuel feed issue. However, Mick doesn't charge for labour on repairs, only parts. And from the sounds of it, your motor is under warranty anyway!

He will usually get a motor back in the post the same day that it arrives, so if you send it off at the begining of the week, you should have it back in plenty of time for the next week-end.

I think Mick's son Dave is teaching his son to fly with an ST40 equipped Taxi, so there is plenty of "local knowledge" about this application to be had!

Best of luck!

--

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us