Forum sponsored by CML

MiniMag and Clear Coat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michel Darribehaude07/05/2015 07:10:19
1 forum posts

Hello to everyone,

Hope somebody can help me!

I'm a newbie and have just finished painting my Multiplex MiniMag with Tamiya spray cans (TS-47 'Chrome Yellow' and TS-30 'Silver Leaf'. The result is rather satisfying for a 'first'.

Now I'm wondering if I should spray the whole model (including some unpainted parts on the fuselage?) with Tamiya TS-13 'Clear'? Or would it ruin the model, i.e. "eat" the paint or foam or both???

Also, if spraying TS-13 is ok, would it be better to apply the stickers (those provided by Multiplex) before spraying the clear coat, or after?

Thanks for your help!

Engine Doctor25/05/2015 10:42:32
2267 forum posts
25 photos

Hi you could spray it with Ronseal water based varnish. It comes in so called gloss which turns out a satin finish ,satin a bit duller than the gloss or matt. I sprayed my kyosho T33 with it a few years ago and it still looks good. It is very safe on foam . Only downsiide is it gets very slightly tacky in damp conditions but soon dries out again. I sprayed straight from the tin at about 40 psi in a small gravity fed touch in gun. Any paint wich is solvent based can affect the foam. The oil based varnish would also be OK but does discolour slightly and browns with age ,its also very heavy so beware of excess weight.

Dave Hopkin25/05/2015 11:26:48
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Agree with ED - but make sure its the Ronseal Water Based floor varnish (sold in wikes/B&Q under the "Diamond Hard" banner - you will probably have to hunt for clear amongst the various wood stain colours)

More expensive alternatives (which are the same stuff but sold as model supplies so more expensive) are Eze-Coat and Poly-C

You can also brush paint it on but the finish wont be as good

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us