Forum sponsored by CML

Servo hatch

construction between ribs?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Murphy 115/05/2015 09:17:33
377 forum posts
14 photos

I am a new builder and this is the first time I have needed to make servo hatchs.

The model is a flair magnatilla and I am putting servos in the wings rather than one central.

I can not read plans well to make things worse.The wing as cap strips so I presume the hatch cover needs to be flush with them and removable with a slot for horn. I will then need to fix a section/plate of wood onto the inside of cap strips? would this need to be balsa or ply ? is the only for screwing the hatch to or mounting servo.

The plan shows 3 layers to the hatch but I can not work out which is solid and which needs cut/outs and wood type to mount to.

Alink to a picture or build would really help please

Dave Hopkin15/05/2015 09:31:44
3672 forum posts
294 photos

A typical servo hatch set up - though there are as many variants as builders!

The hatch itself needs some wood underneath it to take a screws that hold it in place, its not taking any great loading so doesnt need to be that beefy - a lip of 3mm ply or some square section 6mmx6mm will do

servo hatches.jpg

Cuban815/05/2015 09:39:02
2640 forum posts
13 photos

Not easy to give advice on this one as there are so many ways that you could go about solving the problem. Try to have a look at some plans of other models that have the servos arranged as you want and get inspiration and ideas from those.

I had a Maggie years ago and it worked very well with just the one aileron servo as designed, so perhaps trying to 're-invent the wheel' will just be giving you more work and bother.

If you do want to go with twin servos, there may be enough room (with a little adaption) to fit two, side by side in the centre section and have each individual servo drive the aileron cranks and push rods on each side individually. Easier than trying to design and incorporate hatches etc if you are not too experienced at the moment.

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/05/2015 09:44:01

Pete B - Moderator15/05/2015 09:45:47
7572 forum posts
732 photos

The first 3 pics are from my CG Cub build and the second 3 from my DH60 build. This is my preferred method. More info available in those threads.

cirrus moth30.jpg

cirrus moth26.jpg

cirrus moth28.jpg

cirrus moth29.jpg

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us