Forum sponsored by CML

National flying site

The thread for all those in favour of this project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug Campbell28/05/2015 15:15:18
102 forum posts
2 photos

As the "definitive" thread on this subject is full of pages of the minority against a National flying centre, I thought in the interest of balance, I should start a thread for those that are in favour.

I see it as a positive move to protect the future of our hobby. I don't care where it is as I wlll fully support it anywhere. I trust the elected officers of the BMFA to act in my best interest after receiving a huge majority vote in favour from the majority. Anybody else agree with me?

All you anti mob post on your own thread

Andy Palmer28/05/2015 16:48:31
259 forum posts
111 photos

Hooray, I'm with you and agree with every word. But I expect the anti lot will soon be here anyway!

ChrisB28/05/2015 17:21:14
1220 forum posts
34 photos

I think on balance I am in favour of such a facility. I think our hobby is changing in many ways for a variety of reasons and a national centre which can be used to promote, educate and demonstrate our hobby can only be a positive.

kc28/05/2015 19:35:26
6421 forum posts
173 photos

How can you possibly justify sayiing " huge majority vote in favour from the majority " ? Only 1728 BMFA members replied to the survey. I don't know who they asked in their survey but as a BMFA member for 30 years they didn't ask me!

It is wrong to assume that the majority of BMFA members want a national centre in Northamptonshire if you dont ask all the members to vote once the location is known.

Colin Leighfield28/05/2015 19:50:39
5993 forum posts
2503 photos

Considering the wider picture, I support this idea. The BMFA needs to show leadership and move forward, this should be part of that strategy.

Dave Hopkin28/05/2015 20:02:21
3672 forum posts
294 photos

In principal I am in favour of a NFC but the lack of concrete proposals and sustainability plan make me hesitate

..28/05/2015 20:07:49
974 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by kc on 28/05/2015 19:35:26:

How can you possibly justify sayiing " huge majority vote in favour from the majority " ? Only 1728 BMFA members replied to the survey. I don't know who they asked in their survey but as a BMFA member for 30 years they didn't ask me!

It is wrong to assume that the majority of BMFA members want a national centre in Northamptonshire if you dont ask all the members to vote once the location is known.

It's the first I have heard of any vote?? Personally I would think the BMFA would be ending up subsidising a huge cash cow with this. But if those in favour were willing to tick a box and pay annually for this then why not??

Personally I'd rather stick with the terrace house in Leicestershire and keep my spending the same as now.

Simon P28/05/2015 20:48:50
79 forum posts
5 photos

I speak as a young(ish) member of this hobby at 35: This has to be the most irksome thread I've seen on here. Given the poisoned opening post you're certainly asking for it ...

I have not yet said a word for or against a national flying center but it is patently obvious that buying a field will not benefit any of us greately in the short term nor the forseeable future. A museum or national flying center building will not be built for many years and, when finally built, it is laughable to think the greater public would pay very much at all to gawk at a museum full of model aircraft. This over priced decision is likely to hobble the very organisation we rely on to protect our hobby. Some of us are young and can't simply think of the short term. The whole thing seems so out of spirit for an organisation such as the BMFA.

Your foolish wording just motivated one of a great many in the silent majority to speak out against. Please, shape up and stay civil or get your coat. 

Edited By Simon P on 28/05/2015 20:55:37

john stones 128/05/2015 20:57:27
11453 forum posts
1516 photos

How's about we change tack for a bit and say what would get us of our backsides and go to an NFC event.

What would you fancy, a Greenacres style fly in, comps, show pilots, forget the cost and planning permissions etc for a bit...what would you like to see/do ?

John

Simon P28/05/2015 21:28:56
79 forum posts
5 photos

Unable to edit it away now. I must apologise for the harsh tone taken in my message above. I have had a bad day.

Colin Leighfield28/05/2015 21:52:48
5993 forum posts
2503 photos

Hi Simon. Sorry to hear that your day's been rough and don't feel the need to apologise for it, people do understand. We all have our moments and you're entitled to say what you think. I hope that tomorrow is a better day.

I can see a lot of possibilities in this idea with some creative thinking and professional management, but many won't see it that way. It will all come out in the wash.

Martin Harris28/05/2015 23:55:17
9262 forum posts
245 photos
Posted by Doug Campbell on 28/05/2015 15:15:18:

As the "definitive" thread on this subject is full of pages of the minority against a National flying centre, I thought in the interest of balance, I should start a thread for those that are in favour.

I see it as a positive move to protect the future of our hobby. I don't care where it is as I wlll fully support it anywhere. I trust the elected officers of the BMFA to act in my best interest after receiving a huge majority vote in favour from the majority. Anybody else agree with me?

All you anti mob post on your own thread

I think I can post here because I have stated several times, on the thread that I'm assuming you're referring to, that I'm in favour of the idea of an NFC. In fact, I think it's probably fair to say that very few (if any) posters on that thread are actually set against the idea.

I will support any reasoned proposals that are put to the membership but we have yet to see any. I've held back from posting on the other thread since the outline details of the 16th of May meeting were released as we've been promised details from the feasibility study and an EGM before any financial commitment and I'm happy to wait and see some details before discussing my thoughts with my club representative.

What are you looking for from this thread? Hopefully some reasoned and detailed suggestions as to how a NFC can support itself, what it can be used for, where would be the best location etc..but if the thread is only to be used for expressions of blind support and optimistic comments then I can't see how it can add any value.

Oh yes, one other thing - could you please explain where this huge majority vote from the membership is documented.  I'm sure you're not referring to the small low key web survey drafted to exclude any questioners by a strong supporter of the proposal and responded to by a tiny minority of the membership.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/05/2015 00:24:07

MattyB29/05/2015 01:00:38
2029 forum posts
31 photos

Posted by Martin Harris on 28/05/2015 23:55:17:

I think I can post here because I have stated several times, on the thread that I'm assuming you're referring to, that I'm in favour of the idea of an NFC. In fact, I think it's probably fair to say that very few (if any) posters on that thread are actually set against the idea.

I will support any reasoned proposals that are put to the membership but we have yet to see any. I've held back from posting on the other thread since the outline details of the 16th of May meeting were released as we've been promised details from the feasibility study and an EGM before any financial commitment and I'm happy to wait and see some details before discussing my thoughts with my club representative.

What are you looking for from this thread? Hopefully some reasoned and detailed suggestions as to how a NFC can support itself, what it can be used for, where would be the best location etc..but if the thread is only to be used for expressions of blind support and optimistic comments then I can't see how it can add any value.

Oh yes, one other thing - could you please explain where this huge majority vote from the membership is documented. I'm sure you're not referring to the small low key web survey drafted to exclude any questioners by a strong supporter of the proposal and responded to by a tiny minority of the membership.

+1. When I see a fully costed and risk assessed proposal showing such a centre can be built and sustained in the long term without putting the future of the association at risk I will happily give it my full support. However, the vague, aspirational materials that have been provided to date are a long way off that, and the continued delay in providing the minutes and feasibility study do not build confidence - if the numbers really were compelling surely we would have seen them by now?

Hopefully I am wrong, but this has all the hallmarks of a pet project being driven forward by a small core of individuals committed to proceeding whatever the data tells them. I've seen plenty of these at work over the years, and they never tend to end well... 

Edited By MattyB on 29/05/2015 01:01:59

CARPERFECT29/05/2015 07:04:18
504 forum posts
9 photos

I have been watching these post about the NFC, I first joined the BMFA in 1988 and have never been to any event held by them. I am just one of the majority club flyers, that has to join the BMFA to get the insurance. I do not care one bit if they build the center or not, as long as i do not have to pay for it. I am on the committee at my club and if the BMFA start to put the fees upto pay for it then i will start to look for insurance from else where, and propose that the club allow members to get there own insurance , A club only needs Five people to be members to be classed as a BMFA member. The insurance part of our annual fee is only about £14. Where does the rest go ?

Cuban829/05/2015 08:07:09
2910 forum posts
1 photos

I'm in favour of the general idea of a National Centre although I share many of the worries and reservations expressed by others and which have all been well aired.

I'm not entirely clear as what the centre's intended primary role will be. Ignoring any notion of museum or offices for a moment, what would one expect to see the flying area used for on a daily basis? Turn up on the day and pay and fly? Free for all flying access for BMFA members? Exclusive use for practice by the contest fraternity? Regular model airshows open to the public?

We hear so much about "the vision" but it appears none too clear to me at the moment.

The Wright Stuff29/05/2015 10:06:02
1381 forum posts
226 photos
Posted by Doug Campbell on 28/05/2015 15:15:18:

Hi Doug,

First of all, I'm not really sure about the etiquette of thread 'ownership' on this particular forum but as far as I am concerned, since you started this thread you are free to specify it to be used however you like. I fully respect that. If people don't agree with your request for positive posts only, they have no obligation to post anything!

In many ways, having a vision - even a controversial one, is better than no future vision at all. I'm looking forward to following the developments...

TWS

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator29/05/2015 10:54:13
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 29/05/2015 10:06:02:

First of all, I'm not really sure about the etiquette of thread 'ownership' on this particular forum

TWS

Well, to make it absolutely clear - in case anyone is in any sort of doubt - anyone, with any view can post on any thread on this forum - subject to only two conditions:

1. The post is very broadly on topic

2. The post complies with the CoC.

We have not yet reached the point where posters can specify that only those that agree with them are allowed to post!

BEB

FilmBuff29/05/2015 11:06:56
258 forum posts
28 photos

I support the intent and vision of a National Centre.

The concrete plans must, of course, be well scrutinised, feasible and acceptable.

extra slim29/05/2015 11:13:23
482 forum posts
48 photos

Just an idea for the moderators. There have been many pages of enthusiastic debate on this subject. Couldn't we use the collective power of the contributor's to derive a "Summary" in the form of a consolidated list of 1) Pro's expressed, and 2) concerns expressed.

It may be very useful information for not just all forum members, who can view other opinions perhaps not thought of ourselves, and perhaps provide an interesting, free and constructive market research exercise which you never know, someone close to the project at the BMFA finds beneficial.

There are just a lot of good points made either way....couldn't we use them in a really constructive manner??.

Just thoughts

Dave Hopkin29/05/2015 11:20:01
3672 forum posts
294 photos

There doesn't seem that many who fundamentally oppose the idea of an NFC, what there seems to be is a large number of people who support the idea in principal but want to understand the proposal in full, its risks and costs both for the initial creation phase and its long term operational life - that is where we have not seen anything from the BMFA - some of those detail may indeed be commercially sensitive but the long term operational plan cannot be so classed and should be made available, I think if that sustainability plan were seen to be realistic and robust a great deal of hesitancy about support for the NFC would evaporate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!