By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Dash Cams

Protection against the nutters on our roads?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dai Fledermaus29/05/2015 14:59:53
1019 forum posts
52 photos

Yesterday, whilst out in the car, I began to get the feeling that all the nutters in the area had formed an alliance and had set out to get me one way or another. After one particular narrow scape, I began to think I should invest in a Dash Cam to cover myself if caught up in an accident.

I understand that film footage from one of these things can be presented in Court to cover yourself if it's needed, but does anyone know if a recording from a dash cam can be presented to the Police as evidence of particularly bad driving?

Rosco29/05/2015 15:07:16
448 forum posts
386 photos
Here in Oz there have been many incidents caught on dash cams by vehicles not actually involved and handed over to the police for prosecution of the offending driver.

Just recently I can recall 4 incidents that have made the media where the offending drivers have been identified via others dash cams and the police have taken action.

Dave Hopkin29/05/2015 16:05:21
3672 forum posts
294 photos

There was a cretin whose own "dash cam" (well handlebar cam) footage over the Snake Pass Derbyshire got him prosecuted when he filmed himself overtaking on a blind bend on the wrong side of the road when he met an on coming vehicle, he went through the fence and down the hill into the field - then posted the film on youtube

The police saw it and did him

Mark Stringer29/05/2015 16:52:34
322 forum posts
209 photos
I can't see why it can't be used .. just like CCTV is.
I got a nice little one from the UK Banggood warehouse for about just 15 pounds when it was on offer
Alan Jarvis29/05/2015 17:32:26
161 forum posts
24 photos

They can and are used by the police for prosecutions but be aware you may have to go to court as a witness to confirm that it was taken by a camera in your car if there is a not guilty plea. However most plead guilty with video evidence. You must hand the original video (SD Card) to the police and not a copy and very soon after the incident.

Area 5129/05/2015 17:45:12
653 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 29/05/2015 16:05:21:

There was a cretin whose own "dash cam" (well handlebar cam) footage over the Snake Pass Derbyshire got him prosecuted when he filmed himself overtaking on a blind bend on the wrong side of the road when he met an on coming vehicle, he went through the fence and down the hill into the field - then posted the film on youtube

The police saw it and did him

I live a mile from the incident mentioned above; if the Police mounted CCTV watching the approaches to A537 they would get 10-15 idiots like this per day, on the weekends the number would be 60-70! I kid you not and they are very intimidating; often abusive...

I have a rather quick motor myself; travelling toward the A537 last week, one sunny evening, I was passed by a motor bike doing a wheelie past me at over 60 mph! He left me standing so I guess his speed was over 80mph..

I have thought of a dashcam, purely to capture this type of idiot.. No second thoughts on handing over evidence either.. Weekends can be fun; the amount of ambulances heading up the Snake Pass!.. few less to worry about...

Last week there were guys (eight of them) from Holland on the track (sorry A537), all going backward and forwards..!

Good slope soaring off the A537 yes

Stevo29/05/2015 18:12:59
2699 forum posts
419 photos

My son always has a HelmetCam on at all times when out on his Bike.., I hope I don't start a Bikers vs. drivers war here- none implied guys!

Peter Miller29/05/2015 18:29:31
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

After a couple of idiots came round the corner on the wrong side of the road just on the way to the village I bought one.

This one

It comes from Amazon and has two important features. GPS logging and a G meter. If you plug the micro SD card into your computer and click on the map sybol you can follow your route and see what speed you were doing at each point.

The GPS is quite important for the evidence point of view.

The G meter is also important. Someone who just nudged another car's bumper was accused of causing whiplash. The G meter would have proved them liars.

I have caught a few really insane drivers on mine.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/05/2015 18:31:30

Stevo29/05/2015 18:31:51
2699 forum posts
419 photos

WHAT ?? £27?? Ordering mine now...

Peter Miller29/05/2015 18:36:21
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

You also need a class 10 micro SD card.

I th0ught mine was playing so bought a spare just to be sure.

By the way, the camera also improves your own driving because you know you are being watched.

Essjay29/05/2015 18:45:25
578 forum posts
1 photos

One thing to be aware of with some of the 'cheaper' dash-cams is the picture resolution (or rather lack of). This can be quite critical when you need to prove blame and you're unable to read number plates etc.

There is a very good web forum which I use which is dedicated to dash-cams and has some invaluable advice/reviews, which can be found here:

**LINK**

Bucksboy29/05/2015 18:51:03
559 forum posts
106 photos

Why do you need a GPS? If it shows me driving down the High Street, Anytown and it records a collision at the junction with Station Road those two roads are all the location anyone needs. Likewise the date and time don't necessarily need to be shown. Again, if I had a collision between my car and someone else and I recorded the footage, when this actually happened is beyond doubt. It's no good the other driver saying 'the collision happened at 3pm, the footage says it's 5pm so you can't prosecute me'. What the footage is likely to show is who actually did what, the time date and place is not disputed.

I paid £15 delivered for mine, it's got little clear plastic bits which it claims are infra red. What tosh, they're clear bits of plastic. But, it does record a clear picture and sound of me driving down the road safely.

Peter Miller29/05/2015 19:22:33
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

But what if he says you were speeding?

Essjay30/05/2015 00:51:47
578 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/05/2015 19:22:33:

But what if he says you were speeding?

And if you were, you'd be incriminating yourself with your own evidence!

Bucksboy30/05/2015 06:24:40
559 forum posts
106 photos

I agree that the GPS will provide evidence of speed but it's not normally the speed alone that contributes to a collision. It's the decision making, or lack of it, that's important, and the camera will record some, or all, of that. If speed is a really important part it can be worked out from time and distance covered, I agree that it would be far easier to have the speed incorporated but then you'll have to prove that it's accurate and calibrated.

The camera will record all the main causes of collisions, changing lanes, pulling out at junctions, going in the back of someone (your camera can prove that you had stopped in time but that it was the car behind that shunted you into the car in front)

John F30/05/2015 08:03:55
1318 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/05/2015 18:29:31:

After a couple of idiots came round the corner on the wrong side of the road just on the way to the village I bought one.

This one

It comes from Amazon and has two important features. GPS logging and a G meter. If you plug the micro SD card into your computer and click on the map sybol you can follow your route and see what speed you were doing at each point.

The GPS is quite important for the evidence point of view.

The G meter is also important. Someone who just nudged another car's bumper was accused of causing whiplash. The G meter would have proved them liars.

I have caught a few really insane drivers on mine.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/05/2015 18:31:30

I bought one of these due to the price and my friends spreading the word how cheap it was and have had nowt but trouble.  Many of my friends also commented upon the problems they've had with them.

It claims 5MP camera but it's nowhere near, resulting in number plates that are completely unreadable. It also works then doesn't, works then doesn't. It's a moody horrible thing and even if it states it is recording, it sometimes doesn't!

Transferring video to PC is a pain in the bum and is not easy at all as it is old tech; it will only reliably read the data with Win XP!!  If you've got Windows 7 forget it, it's problematic at best.  Even if it does read the data you're not guaranteed access as sometimes the recording cannot be accessed despite playing fine on the device itself.

The pigeon English instructions that were written by the same folk who try to send you 200million US Dollars as long as you give them your banks details.

There are much, much better dash cams out there such as the **LINK**

You really do get what you pay for.  Buy cheap and you will get cheap.

With regards to reporting bad driving to the Police : Forget it.  They don't have the staff to act upon them and will only act upon bad driving if they witness it themselves. 

Sometimes folk recommend policewitness.com but they are not affiliated with the Police and are regarded simply as a vigilante website trying to sell you overpriced dash cams.

The Police will only take your videos if there has been any kind of incident or a persons actions has caused an incident.

Edited By John F on 30/05/2015 08:23:53

Dai Fledermaus30/05/2015 08:58:55
1019 forum posts
52 photos

Auto Express have just done a review of dash cams and the Transcend Drive Pro 200 came out as winner when compared to other models costing much more.

Thanks for your contributions by the way

Ian Jones30/05/2015 11:38:09
3218 forum posts
1397 photos

The real issue is poor driving standards.

Yes, video evidence can be useful after an incident but it doesn't protect you from anything. The best protection is preventing the incidents occurring in the first place; that needs an improvement in driving standards.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/05/2015 11:39:30

john featherstone 130/05/2015 12:10:18
44 forum posts

ive had one for a couple off months i got it because of lycra louts (cyclists) were i go flying i have to go down a lot of country lanes these on bikes can be 3 or 4 abrest and will not move to let you pass?? no road tax? no m.o.t.? no insurance.? and more rights on the road than me??????makes you wonder dosnt it

Cuban830/05/2015 13:17:08
2641 forum posts
13 photos

Just Googled some figures. Between 2010 and 2013, 7200 people were killed on the UK's roads. Extrapolating the figures to date means we're almost certain to be over the 10000 mark by now. Just imagine that, the population of a typical fair sized town wiped out every five years or so. Hysteria about 'poison chicken' in the papers, yet we still accept the road carnage almost without thought.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us