Forum sponsored by CML

what propeller for speed 600 motor

advise please...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ash N13/06/2015 15:33:58
7 forum posts

Hi All,

I had a glider with a speed 600 motor with a 2.8:1 gearbox running a 12-10 propeller.

The gearbox is broken and now only have another speed 600 motor with no gearbox. Now what propeller should I use with the non-geared motor?

It is on an old kit build 100" glider and no i dont want to convert to brushless.

many thanks!

Ash

Chris Bott - Moderator13/06/2015 15:47:03
6826 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Hi Ash.

That gearbox was there to increase the efficiency a fair bit by being able to use a large propeller.

If I remember correctly we used to use something like a 9x6 prop for direct drive. I don't think it will pull your glider as well as the 12x10 though.

Malcolm Fisher13/06/2015 20:33:16
643 forum posts
7 photos

My Easy Pigeon had a direct drive 600 motor and used an 8x4.5" folder on a seven cell NiMH battery if that's any help. Performance was good I thought, and ought to be enough for a reasonable climb rate with your glider but don't expect vertical OOS type. wink

Malcolm

Tim Hooper13/06/2015 21:06:46
2899 forum posts
2406 photos

I don't think an old direct-drive S600 is going to manage a 100" glider.

tim

Phil Green13/06/2015 22:25:33
1591 forum posts
339 photos

Neither do I Tim. Its just not moving enough volume of air. Why the reluctance to fit a brushless I wonder?

PatMc13/06/2015 23:46:32
4405 forum posts
527 photos

A direct drive S600 should be able to take a 100" glider up so long as it isn't too porky - but not at a very fast rate.

One of my first ventures into electric flight was the conversion of 110" glider using 7x1.2Ah nicads squeezed in to the fus on the cg with a 600 can motor mounted on a ply pylon. It had an ic prop 'cause there was no such thing as an electric prop then nor were there speed controlers & a normal 4.8v 600mA nicad was also needed. To avoid a 3rd servo the motor control was achieved by a micro switch turned on with a dab of up + full up trim & off was a dab of full down + full down trim.
That combo was enough for about 3 slow climbs to about bungee height per charge but switching the motor off invariably resulted in some switchback antics with a loss of altitude.
Inevitably, the model met it's end when one day I tried to switch the motor off a bit too low. crook

Ash, what gearbox did you use ? I may still have an old Master GB & a 12" folder lying around.
OTOH as Phil said - why the reluctance to go brushless, even if you're using nickel cells it would give an worthwhile increase in power & with ability to use a big prop if a low KV motor was chosen.

Ash N21/06/2015 14:53:54
7 forum posts

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for all of your responses.

Chris and Malcolm - I found an folding 8 X 4.5 and thought id give it a try. it took it up relatively well but as you suggested it doesn't quite have the smooth pull it had before. it did the job though.

Patmc - Im not sure what gearbox it is. It looks to have come already on the graupner motor (i bought if off someone a long time ago) so not really sure how else to describe it apart from it being a 2.8:1...

I have all of the other bits (esc, new Nicad) and dont want to have to go through adapting the fuselage for new bits. but i may have no choice...

Thanks!

eflightray21/06/2015 18:00:41
622 forum posts
132 photos

Any chance of a picture, as I have a lot of gearboxes and belt drives from old 600 motors, (and 600 motors), from when I changed over to brushless motors.

I still can't bring myself to throwing them away.

Edited By eflightray neath on 21/06/2015 18:01:25

eflightray21/06/2015 21:33:03
622 forum posts
132 photos

See if you can spot anything the same here from my collection.

gear drives (2).jpg

Ash N24/06/2015 20:04:54
7 forum posts

hi eflighttray neath,

please see images below.

would be great if you had one. the one with the red gearbox looks very similar but looks a little smaller from here, maybe just the light though..

thanks for your help!

Ash

Displaying DSC_0374.JPG

Displaying DSC_0375.JPG

Displaying DSC_0376.JPG

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!