Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Lipo as a receiver battery

Help no Lipos and BECS

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bruce Richards29/11/2007 18:24:00
1849 forum posts

Does anyone use a Lipo as a Rx battery in an i/c model?

I am planing to us a 2S1P lipo and a 3A UBEC and I was wondering if others are doing this and if so how well it works.

I would be interested to know how you go about ensuring that the Lipo has enough charge at the start of each flying session.

My main reason for doing this is that I can charge up the Lipo and leave it and should be able to fly at short notice without waiting to charge up the receiver pack.

Thanks for your help

Bruce

Ultymate29/11/2007 21:17:00
1700 forum posts
62 photos
Bruce to check lipos properly I use a variable load voltmeter, a fully charged 2S lipo will show around 8.4V under a 1amp load and I charge when down to 7.0 volts again with the one amp load. The particular meter I use is produced by Hangar9 but I don't know whether it's available in the U.K. I got it from Troy Built Models in the States. You can charge your lipos in September and go fly them in March
John Laird29/11/2007 21:40:00
431 forum posts
46 photos

i seem to recall seeing something about some receivers/servos ok on the higher voltage but that some were not, but cannot remember detail.

To get round this  you can buy fairly cheaply a simple BEC which will cut the lipo voltage (2 or more cells ) down to Rx /servo voltage.  This is not an ESC with BEC but just a BEC hence much cheaper.

a quick google on lipo +bec turned up $22 for a 10 amp unit so they are out there.

google also turned up an article on this web site !!! which also covered lipos for Tx's

john

Ultymate29/11/2007 22:40:00
1700 forum posts
62 photos
Sorry I forgot to mention in my post a reg is needed to bring the lipo voltage down to accepted level for the reciever and servos I've got one model running 5.5 volts and another running 6 volts. If you've not run lipos before you will also need a charger with a dedicated lithium charge program.
Tim Mackey29/11/2007 22:45:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Hmmm - my thread has died then ?? - its even on the front page of the forum !!

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/222/v/1/sp/

Bruce Richards30/11/2007 07:50:00
1849 forum posts

John

Thanks for your reply I am sure you were trying to help but did you read all of my original post?

Bruce 

Bladerunner30/11/2007 10:50:00
129 forum posts

I've been using Lipo's as the Rx battery. You need a BEC that regulates between 5V and 6V and with enough power to supply the servo current(amps) demands. Charge the battery using any normal Lipo charger. I charge via the balance connector by using an in line balancer.

To ensure adequate charge, you should charge before each flying session - Lipo chargers are all quick chargers so it's not like you'd be wasting much time. If you have a battery checker that can attach via the balance connector, it would be a useful way of verifying charge before you fly.

John Laird30/11/2007 17:41:00
431 forum posts
46 photos

Bruce,

yes  and what  meant to infer was that as becs were aavailable for just that purpose, then the market was already well established and that there were by inference many people already using lipos for this purpose clearly without problems.

john

Bruce Richards30/11/2007 17:45:00
1849 forum posts

OK John thanks I understand now.

Bruce 

Tim Mackey30/11/2007 18:32:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

And in case you missed this one too Bruce, try

HERE

Bruce Richards30/11/2007 19:18:00
1849 forum posts

Thanks Timbo I had seen that. Very informative.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us