Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Drones... The dark side

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DCW09/07/2015 22:15:38
100 forum posts
66 photos

I don’t like to use the word ‘drone’ I prefer UAV or Multi-rotor, but it looks like we are stuck with it. So I will follow everyone else and call them drones. I quite like these machines, or for that matter any form of model flying. My concern is however, that these aircraft are not just being sold by our favourite model shops, with all of the help, advice and safety recommendations that usually follow. That is...

Why not join a club and get help learning to fly your new machine.

Get yourself insured by joining an organisation BMFA, LMA, BARCS etc.

Don’t fly in built-up areas or on private land without permission. And so on.

Maybe these RC aircraft are being sold by the wrong people, to the wrong people. My first reaction is ‘not my problem’, on second thoughts though, well, maybe it is. Particularly if local authorities start to bring in restrictions or maybe refuse planning permission for new clubs etc. We are after all ‘Judged by our worst’. I wonder just how many of these non-model shops are responsible enough to give the above advice. How about a few of us becoming ‘secret shoppers’ and reporting the results back to this thread? Any ideas? DW

john stones 109/07/2015 23:25:23
11698 forum posts
1517 photos

I reckon there's lots of secret shopping going on already DW judging by the build threads wink

John

cymaz10/07/2015 06:44:34
9388 forum posts
1216 photos

Our club has banned FPV etc. The landlords should know of this. Hopefully then, if anyone found flying one by our landlords they won't be a member so the club will not be in trouble.

We have to wait and see.

Dave Hopkin10/07/2015 07:41:38
3672 forum posts
294 photos

When I read this last night I decided to have a look at a reputable retailer selling drones to see what advise they gave on operation of them, I picked Maplins, nothing showing at all on the website about the legalities of flying them, so I picked the "ask a question" about the product option and asked "why they were encouraging people to break the ANO by suggesting you can fluy a small drone upto 2Km away"

Looked at my email this morning and guess what - my question has been moderated and removed!!!!

Pete B - Moderator10/07/2015 10:42:48
7680 forum posts
735 photos
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 10/07/2015 07:41:38:

When I read this last night I decided to have a look at a reputable retailer selling drones to see what advise they gave on operation of them,

Fair point, Dave. Out of interest, I've just looked at three very well-known online model shops and, guess what - none of them mention anything about the legalities, either.....disgust

Pete

Dave Hopkin10/07/2015 10:55:49
3672 forum posts
294 photos

I was wrong - on the Maplins Web Site pages for drones have a small link embedded after the main product characteristics entitled "Responsible Flying pdf" - this links through to a document showing the main points of the ANO and a further link to the CAA - no mention of the BMFA sadly

Pete B - Moderator10/07/2015 11:00:41
7680 forum posts
735 photos

That's very decent of you to correct yourself - do you want me to delete your post?wink 2teeth 2

Pete

Dave Hopkin10/07/2015 11:09:20
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Its not the first time I have been wrong Pete, I remember the last time, 18th August 1987 it was wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!