window2.jpg

MattyB17/07/2015 11:40:03
1908 forum posts
29 photos

Very nice - where is that?

Delta Foxtrot17/07/2015 11:41:38
566 forum posts
91 photos

Thiis is the Battle of Britain memorial window commissioned by Ernest Hives, the MD of Rolls-Royce and designed by Hugh Easton to honour the sacrifice of the pilots of the RAF during that conflict.

I am not religious, but when I first saw this window in its original setting at the top of the stairs in the marble hall entrance to the main works in Derby, is was utterly awed by it.

The words at the bottom read: 'This window commemorates the pilots of the Royal Air Force, who in the Battle of Britain turned the work of our hands into the salvation of our country'

Sadly the main works is no more, but I am so pleased that this window was saved and is now on display in the training centre in Derby. It is a very large window and still has a big impact on me, though it did look better in its original setting.

Ross Clarkson17/07/2015 11:47:13
1438 forum posts
106 photos

Wow.

Area 5117/07/2015 12:56:36
653 forum posts
1 photos

Delta Fox, nice one! Thanks for showing us this.. Excellent work by the MD.. should be on the national news.. yes

Delta Foxtrot17/07/2015 21:48:55
566 forum posts
91 photos

No problem Area51, glad you like it.

The window was unveiled in 1949 in front of as many Battle of Britain pilots as could be mustered. Lord Hives is long gone, but he had a huge influence on the company and left behind a wonderful tribute with this window.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Revoc
Motion RC
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us