By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What are these springs called and where can I get them?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Smith 103/08/2015 09:10:35
2493 forum posts
1276 photos

p1020421.jpgI have occassion to use these springs supplied with kits on the tail wheel assembly. However, doing an 'tinernet' search I can only find ones without the "tails" at each end and they are mostly too big. Any ideas where I can get them? Thanks.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 03/08/2015 09:10:59

Bob Cotsford03/08/2015 09:15:49
8948 forum posts
498 photos

Good question Adrian, I could do with finding a source for them too

john stones 1 Moderator03/08/2015 09:24:39
11924 forum posts
1531 photos

Don't know where to buy them, but this stuff works just as well, it's elastic used in pole fishing, comes in different thickness and strengths, secure knots with cyano, and it comes in pretty colours cheeky


bert baker03/08/2015 09:34:18
1649 forum posts
337 photos

Tension springs,are the type they are for pulling stuff together, ,,,,,,,,,,,compression spring are for pushing stuff apart.

Available on internet and workshop consumables traders, and most model Engineering shops.

Wingman03/08/2015 09:34:50
1191 forum posts
406 photos

Try Lee Springs - great for all things springy. Just for a check I put in a search for wire dia 0.25mm by 3mm spring dia and got 76 hits - cost £10.95 for 5 for the biggest one.

Colin Bernard03/08/2015 10:25:24
531 forum posts
94 photos

I found these in my local Maplins - very useful!

Tomtom3903/08/2015 10:44:34
708 forum posts
1 photos

Excellent Colin. Just what I was looking for.

Adrian Smith 103/08/2015 12:34:25
2493 forum posts
1276 photos

Food for thought there thanks. I should be able to find something there hopefully.

Martyn K03/08/2015 17:40:05
5151 forum posts
3761 photos

I used to make these all the time. You need some 26g (approx) stainless steel rigging wire from a model yacht supplier - try Graham Bantock, Housemartin Sails, KBITS

Simply wind using a 3mm drill bit or a length of brass tube as a mandrel. If you have a variable speed pillar drill and can slow it right down then you can wind them under power but it's not necessary

They are very easy to make. Piano wire doesn't work as its too hard



Edit. Make sure you are wearing gloves and have eye protection..

Edited By Martyn K on 03/08/2015 17:40:50

Adrian Smith 103/08/2015 19:12:30
2493 forum posts
1276 photos

Bert I appreciate your comment, but I have tried to search using the criteria you mention, but to no avail so any suggestions as to which website to go to? Thanks.

Matt Jones03/08/2015 19:31:09
1186 forum posts
1 photos

Adrian, what size do you need, I may have something.......

bert baker03/08/2015 19:37:16
1649 forum posts
337 photos

Look under the fittings section near the bottom


Edited By bert baker on 03/08/2015 19:38:18

Adrian Smith 104/08/2015 08:43:49
2493 forum posts
1276 photos

Thanks for your offer Matt, but I think I have something in an assortment box on Amazon. We'll see.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

 No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!