Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Motor windings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor28/08/2015 14:29:47
1906 forum posts
214 photos

My poor old motor started jamming up so I pulled it appart for a look inside. I removed small grit like iron pieces which had become attached to the magnets. After cleaning I noticed some of the windings loose and moving about, the question is what can I stick them down with ? Would I be ok with varnish or even super glue ? Not sure what super glue would do to the winding protective insulator though. dont know

Plummet28/08/2015 15:44:22
1394 forum posts
41 photos

Whatever you use has to be compatible with the insulation on the wires. The wires are usually coated with some form of varnish to insulate each turn from the next. It used to just be the old fashioned oil based varnish - in the olden days when I was a lad. What they use now - ???

So - the answer is the usual - test it first. I (and probably you) have no way of knowing what the manufacturer used.

Do you have a similar motor in your scrap box? If so, experiment with that. Failing that - you have one try!

Plummet

John Rudd28/08/2015 17:00:25
96 forum posts
2 photos

If its a relatively modern motor then chances are its wound with enamelled copper with a coating of a polyesterimide or modified polyester base coat which is fairly inert to most chemicals....I've successfully used polyester resin before today to secure windings on rotos on generators that I have rewound...alternatively you could just use epoxy....

Edited By John Rudd on 28/08/2015 17:00:47

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us