Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

My first real crash

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
vic evans 102/09/2015 16:42:17
34 forum posts
5 photos

I'm a 3rd year novice recently had my first 'real' crash.

I was attempting to fly a 4 CH HK Club Trainer & carried out (I think) all of the pre flight tests including a range check. The 'plane was hand launched, banked right & continued into the deck despite all of my efforts to get it back on track. The Tx was a Dx6i & Rx an Orange R710 with satellite receiver. The plane had been successfully flown several times before.

When rebuilding the 'plane I found the Rx main aerial was detached from the Rx & as it wasn't fixed to the plane I don't think it was pulled off in the crash.

Could it be that the 'plane was tested & launched on the satellite aerial only & lost signal when it crashed about 100m from me ?

The Rx was OK as I then flew my Bixler for several long flights with no problems.

Radio interference was unlikely as I was flying on the cliff tops at Hoy, Orkney & have never had a problem there before.

I've yet to retest the systems as the plane is not fully rebuilt.

Cuban802/09/2015 17:05:50
2727 forum posts
13 photos

All of us with a few years of model flying under our belts have been in this position, so don't feel too badly about it.

What to do though?

Did you just lose roll control or had the model lost the other channels as well? dodgy aileron servo?

Was it just a bad hand launch and there wasn't enough control authority to get it back in time?

Was the battery OK?

Control reversed on ailerons perhaps?

If you inspect the broken aerial, does it look as though it's pulled out or possibly a fatigue break at the solder joint?

Does your tranny check out OK when range testing another RX.

If you can't pin the cause down !00% - I'd not risk the RX in a model, they're as cheap as chips anyway, so replace it as a precaution

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/09/2015 17:09:47

vic evans 103/09/2015 11:43:02
34 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks C8.

Not sure if I lost just roll control as I was too busy trying to avoid the inevitable

Hand launch fine as was control authority

Battery fully charged

Ailerons correct ( I think)

The aerial was a pop on/off press stud type fitting

Tranny fine when used to fly my Bixler 5 min later

I've just done a mock up test using the original Tx & Rx + 4 spare servos & interestingly when doing a range check at about 40m the signal using the satellite aerial only was sporadic but fine when I reconnected the main aerial. I'm therefor leaning towards thinking the main aerial was detached before launch & I 'ran out' of signal strength at about 100m. Does this seem a realistic theory?

Stephen Jones03/09/2015 20:16:21
2695 forum posts
1528 photos

Hi Vic ,

These things happen to the best of us i`m afraid to say, the best you can do is try and trace down where the fault lies and try to make sure it does not happen again be it human error or equipment error .

I crashed my sons trainer this weekend .dscf1182.jpg

It flies very well in fact i have flown it more than he has , it has flaps on it and it can be flown around nice and slow but more often than not i throw it around the skies , rolls loops , inverted high speed low passes it`s a great model to fly ,

Only thing is my son is apprehensive to fly it by passing the transmitter back and fourth .

So i set up my old transmitter to work via wireless trainer connection .

and we flew it that way for a couple of weeks the only problem was that the engine was temperamental .

So i bought a new engine and put that in with the determination of getting my son to learn to fly on the large trainer ,

Got him to the field got the engine started checked with him that all the controls are working and correct , check that his transmitter is working correctly , i carried the model to the strip while my son waited in the pilots area , i then started the take off , as soon as the model left the ground it started to go crazy i fought with it the best i could .

Needless to say it crashed in the next field . Luckily there was not much damage broken prop cracked nose fairing and a crack on the wing .Took it back to the pits area and re checked the controls , all ok.

I was dishearten more than my son as i had a very good flying model that we have flown for years and flown perfectly the week before on the same setup with no problems .

So what went wrong , well the reason i stopped using that old transmitter was due to the fact i have trashed loads of my models in the past due to unexplained glitches .

I changed transmitter and never had a problem again .

So why did i not throw it out .

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us