Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric retracts input voltage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
stuey07/09/2015 10:23:38
601 forum posts
12 photos

Hi everyone. I have ordered some electric retracts for my Hangar 9 P-47 60 size Thunderbolt. They are supposed to have quite a wide input voltage threshold, but I did read that some of them might not like too high a voltage. The RX power is from a 6v nimh pack (2/3AF size) which has a higher capability under load than AA cells so I believe. I was thinking about using a diode in the positive feed to the retracts to lower the input voltage a bit, I think its about 0.7v drop? This would keep it a bit lower when the pack is fully charged, as it will be above 7v. Is this a suitable method? I dont want to add a seperate pack for the retracts at this time.

Cheers

Bob Cotsford07/09/2015 10:36:16
7927 forum posts
436 photos

I run mine off 4 cell Nixx, 2S LiFe direct, and 2S LiPo through 5v regulators. E-Flite and HK units all seem fine up to 7.5v at least, in fact the only problem I've had is on an old 4 cell NiMh pack that couldn't provide enough voltage under load, cured by running the U/C off 2S LiFe.

stuey07/09/2015 12:58:31
601 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Bob. I had an issue with my eflite 60-120 retracts which proved troublesome until I powered them via 5 cell nimh rather than 4 cells. The new ones I have ordered are HK ones, and I did read on their reviews that some of the units did not like higher voltages. I was thinking a small voltage drop might mitigate that issue. It wouldnt take much to put a suitable diode in the positive feed, not sure what a suitable specced diode would be though!

Bob Cotsford07/09/2015 16:12:59
7927 forum posts
436 photos

5A or more and anything over 10v rating? Google 5A rectifier diodes, but avoid Schottky types as I don't think they give the voltage drop.

stuey07/09/2015 16:33:06
601 forum posts
12 photos

OK thanks Bob, that sounds the ticket. If they pull more than 5A something must be wrong!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us