Forum sponsored by CML

BMFA on the BBC, Martin Dilly.

A good representation of our hobby.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy4823/09/2015 16:20:17
1545 forum posts
9 photos

Our club is registered as a Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC). It helped us get planning permission, and a grant for trainers.

Colin Leighfield23/09/2015 17:44:48
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

There's no question that registration as a sport is an important factor in being sensibly recognised at national and government level, very important to our long -term survival and ability to defend ourselves against negative influences.

Martin Harris23/09/2015 23:35:01
9351 forum posts
252 photos
Posted by Ernie on 23/09/2015 11:48:26:

Huge levels of physical and mental effort?

As I understand it, nearly half of the participants sit drinking Tea in the clubhouse. Another one throws a ball at a batter, who hits it as hard as he can. The rest stand around trying to catch the ball.

They should try riding the tour de france

ernie

On that definition, riding round France on a pedal bike can hardly be considered as a sport - half the time they're just sitting on the bike coasting down those big mountains...cheeky

Martin Harris23/09/2015 23:44:35
9351 forum posts
252 photos

...and if I was standing around 50 yards from where Malcolm Marshall was starting his run-up towards me, just the quivering in my legs would be enough to satisfy any requirements for energy expenditure!

Ernie24/09/2015 14:08:08
2530 forum posts
21 photos

The've got to get to the top Martin

ernie

Daithi O Buitigh24/09/2015 16:21:39
1376 forum posts
54 photos

The distinction between sport and hobby is really blurred. Is it 'sport' when some undereducated youth gets paid a small fortune because he can kick a ball with a certain amount of skill? To me, if you get paid for it, it's a job and not 'sport'.

As for 'hobby': I hold a full amateur radio license but while most consider that to be a hobby, we're classed by the government as the 'Amateur Radio SERVICE'

john stones 124/09/2015 17:28:47
11541 forum posts
1517 photos

Of course it's a job if you get paid..then you're a professional sportsman/woman. And if you don't get paid for it you're called...not very good at it wink

John

Daithi O Buitigh24/09/2015 18:03:15
1376 forum posts
54 photos

All the same, there is something drastically wrong when the average weekly wage of the prima donnas in the premier league is almost double that of a junior doctor's ANNUAL salary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!