By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Anyone with experience of Kolm 4 stroke petrol engines?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Smith 106/10/2015 09:20:33
2422 forum posts
1224 photos

In discussion with a chap called Allan Ballard at Ladbroke Hobbies in Warickshire about sourcing another 50cc AeroWorks kit (more about that later), he suggested considering a Kolm 4 stroke petrol engine for my next project. This is a new one on me but I understand they are made in Austria. As there are no prices on the website I guess they are firstly very expensive and secondly for the very serious flyer. I am just curious as a confirmed OS lover. That said Allan was quite disparaging about OS petrols, too much vibration apparently, but I suppose he would say that. That put me in my place!

To go off at a slight tangent here, the reason I ended up speaking to Ladbroke is that after contacting AeroWorks in the Denver, US about trying to source their ARTFs in the UK now that IAD Model Designs supply has almost dried up, they suggested Ladbroke Hobbies. That drew a blank sadly and part of the supply problem is due to shipping costs from the US. Unless somebody is prepared to stump us £20k for a crate of them to import the AeroWorks kits it is not economically viable. crying

Anyway, the long and the short of the discussion with Allan was the purchase of a Pilot RC Extra 300SC 88" jobbie smile p. It's supposed to be with me by Thursday , shipped directly to me from Macgregor Industries apparently. Hope I have done the right thing…………..

Simon Chaddock06/10/2015 09:38:00
5689 forum posts
3026 photos

Of course if you really want to spend some money Kolm do a very nice 4 in line.

And it makes a nice noise too!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 06/10/2015 09:38:48

Essjay06/10/2015 10:40:32
578 forum posts
1 photos

Very nice sound, but why on earth is it compulsory for German modellers to have their throttle "on a switch" except when landing. I personally would like to have heard a varied throttle sound. Galloping around at full throttle all the time does not do this motor justice.

Adrian Smith 106/10/2015 11:58:19
2422 forum posts
1224 photos

Wouldn't pass the 82dB guidelines would it? Blooming awful landing too. Nice noise though!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!