Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

200 SR X Tail rotor orientation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Armstrong 213/10/2015 11:25:02
234 forum posts
23 photos

The 200 SRX has a motor driven three blade tail rotor. I stupidly took off a broken rotor blade without noting the orientation. Strangely, neither the manual nor the replacement part shows which way round it should go. It can be installed with either the concave or the convex face of the blade facing left or right.

Anyone know which way is correct?

John Payne14/10/2015 12:48:25
162 forum posts
63 photos

Hi Robert, just checked mine and the convex face is away from the tail boom.

Robert Armstrong 214/10/2015 13:13:25
234 forum posts
23 photos

That's weird. I looked at the Horozon Hobby site after starting the thread and there is a picture of the tail set up which appears to be the other way round. I wonder if the rotation direction of the tail rotor motor would affect this? Is your tail rotor motor plug connected to the ESC 'black wire to brown'?

Edited By Robert Armstrong 2 on 14/10/2015 13:13:45

John Payne14/10/2015 17:06:53
162 forum posts
63 photos

My apologies mate, got my convex and concave mixed up. The CONCAVE side is away from the tail boom (just checked again to make sure, twice!).

Robert Armstrong 214/10/2015 19:06:36
234 forum posts
23 photos

Thanks.

Allan Bowker15/10/2015 16:06:03
1622 forum posts
227 photos

The way I remember which way round it goes is that there is a smooth side to the 3 blade prop and that side faces outwards away from the motor.

Getting it the wrong way round can make the brushless motor on the tail rotor run very hot too!

Robert Armstrong 218/10/2015 14:56:15
234 forum posts
23 photos

Actually, both sides of the blades are 'smooth'. Both are also curved, one concave, one convex.

It can do worse than make the tail motor run hot, mine burnt out. Completely unnecessary and avoidable, both by me noting which way round the blades were before I took them off and by E-Flite by noting in the Manual that this is a potential 'gotcha'. Still, helps to keep up the spare parts sales I suppose.

MaxG19/10/2015 10:16:21
151 forum posts
3 photos

This thread on Helifreak should help. Just go down until you find the picture.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=639551

HTH

Maxg

MaxG19/10/2015 10:21:33
151 forum posts
3 photos

There is a lot of good info about the 200SRX on helifreak, not only about repair but also other information about better ways of doing trim flights rather than the HH way.

It seems to be a very good forum on heli things. Have got a lot of useful info about my SR120 as well.

Also settings for using it on Phoenix which has made the sim much more like the real thing than it was when I first started.

If you are a beginner with these infernal machines, like I am, it is worth a look.

MaxG

Allan Bowker19/10/2015 10:48:36
1622 forum posts
227 photos

Robert, if you look at the tail rotor closely, the sufaces have a slightly different finish on each side.
It's not easy to spot but MaxG's helpful link above contains this useful picture:

Blade SRX 200 Tail Rotor Orientation

Robert Armstrong 219/10/2015 18:02:25
234 forum posts
23 photos

Sorry about that, I can now see that there is a difference in surface finish on the two sides. Still think it's poor that the manual doesn't comment. It is a beginner model after all and some repair work is probable for most I would think.

Allan Bowker20/10/2015 12:39:09
1622 forum posts
227 photos

No problem Robert wink

I couldn't agree more on the poor design and documentation though, my son fell fowl to this design oversight very early on. Thankfully he noticed the poor flight performance and hot tail motor quickly, so no damage done.

I have to forgive Horizon Hobby, however as their customer service is usually very good and I guess this is just down to their high product output.

'Must try harder' will appear on their report card for this laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us