By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Iron Socks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
NORKER28/10/2015 08:11:23
6 forum posts

For a cheap covering iron sock try a cheap pair of cotton baby's socks from BHS or Primark, a bit loose around the point but the main sole is where you get the scuffing. Put the sock on, pull it tight and secure the loose end round the shank of the iron with an elastic band or similar. You will poke a hole through the toe fairly quickly but you do that with a proper sock anyway and at 50p. per pair against £5 for one of the real ones the saving is obvious. Make sure they are cotton socks and not polyester however.

Norker

Geoff Sleath28/10/2015 11:15:14
3248 forum posts
247 photos

My first thought on seeing the thread title was "Aren't they uncomfortable?"

I have a Prolux covering iron which comes with a sock supplied. I've never used it in anger. I tried it once but prefer to use it naked. What are the advantages?

Geoff

Dave Hopkin28/10/2015 11:29:28
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 28/10/2015 11:15:14:. I tried it once but prefer to use it naked.

Geoff

Now thats an image I really don't want in my head.......... don't you get a bit cold in the shed covering wings naked?

Geoff Sleath28/10/2015 11:35:45
3248 forum posts
247 photos

My 'shed' is indoors and centrally heated Though I do wear iron socks for stability.

Geoff

Don Fry28/10/2015 12:30:18
3604 forum posts
42 photos

Being tight, I have used my iron for so long it is worn out, mainly from dropping it, and then smoothing it back with abrasive. Never used a sock. What are the advantages. Might get another 20 years out of it.

Pete B - Moderator28/10/2015 12:43:54
7548 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 28/10/2015 11:15:14:

I have a Prolux covering iron which comes with a sock supplied. I've never used it in anger. I tried it once but prefer to use it naked. What are the advantages?

Geoff

Picked up the cotton baby sock tip from Ken Anderson on here a while back and found it works very well. I don't use it all the time but I've found that when smoothing down it protects the covering from the occasional bit of ham-fistedness, which can leave a mark.

Pete

Robin Etherton30/10/2015 16:05:52
263 forum posts
41 photos

Hi

Tried Primark and most other retailers but they only do cotton rich socks not pure cotton.

Will this work?

Robin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us