Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Carbon tube/snake push rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Spitfire fan01/11/2015 21:04:55
27 forum posts
3 photos

Hi. I want to try making push rod assemblies with 5mm OD carbon tubes because of their stiffness and lightness but I have not found any useful threads with pics showing how the end connections are completed. Quite by chance however I found that the inner plastic of Sullivan type snakes is a perfect light push fit into the 5mm OD carbon tube. I inserted about 15mm of snake inner into the tube and applied cyno. It seems to hold but not wanting to take a chance I decided to pin it with a split dowel which was easy enough to do. Now it is easy to screw a short length of 2mm studding into the snake and attach a clevis or swivel link, or whatever is reqd.

I think the result is a lightweight, very stiff, and easy to finish push rod. I will use two each approx .5m long.

Does anyone see a reason why this should not work ?

Cheers,

Peter.

carbon tube & snake push rod 2.jpg

Percy Verance01/11/2015 21:10:10
8067 forum posts
155 photos

Looks ok to me Peter..........

Matt Jones01/11/2015 21:29:04
1186 forum posts
1 photos

Peter, I use 5 and 6mm carbon tube a lot for pushrods, you can get some aluminium adapters that glue on the end with either 2 or 3mm threaded ends.

Spitfire fan01/11/2015 21:43:32
27 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Matt. I could not find these adaptors you referred to when I did a web search. Please could you post a link.

Thanks, Peter.

fly boy301/11/2015 22:46:21
3467 forum posts
18 photos

I also would like some info on these too. Cheers.

Dave Hopkin01/11/2015 23:30:15
3672 forum posts
294 photos

You can also use 2mm carbon rod, file a point onto the end then use a threaded adapter to cut a thread thread in the carbon, then wick some CA into the thread - rock solid

Andy Green02/11/2015 08:15:09
2279 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles

Hi Peter, I use 5mm carbon as you suggest.

I take a length of threaded rod with about 2" inside the carbon with the end roughed up a bit and secured with JB Weld. I make sure the glue has run down the tube.

I seal the end with some heat shrink to tidy it up and it helps to centralise the rod in the tube.

Andy

MaxG02/11/2015 10:02:52
144 forum posts
3 photos

I use 4mm tube that has about a 1mm wall leaving a 2 mm hole. The screwed end is then inserted with a bit of epoxy. Cover the end with heatshrink and the job is a good one.

The 4mm has always seemed stiff enough for me.

As an aside, if you make shortish pushrods for servo in wing aileron linkages but are a bit unsure if the 2mm wire is stiff enough you can always slip a bit of 4 mm carbon tube over the wire befor screwing the clevis on. Stiffens it a treat for almost no weight and uses up odds and ends of carbon tube as well.

Maxg

extra slim02/11/2015 10:14:51
443 forum posts
48 photos

ditto MaxG, exactly the same as I do it

Spitfire fan02/11/2015 14:07:30
27 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for all the comments/alternative suggestions. They will be very useful for future builds.

Regards, Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us