Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Trials and tribulations of an SC 1.08

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Benton23/01/2008 19:18:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF A  SC 1.08HAVING RECENTLY BOUGHT A NEW PLANE THE HARRIER I PURCHASED A SC 1.08 ENGINE TO PLACE INSIDE THE HARRIER THINKING THAT IT WOULD BE A GOOD ENGINE TO PUT IN IT SEING AS MY TRAINER HAS A SC .40 ENGINE IN IT AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT (TOUCH WOOD).OH BOY WAS I WRONG!!

WEEK   1. MAKE A TEMPORARY ENGINE MOUNT FOR RUN IN PURPOSES OK 25 MINUETS INTO RUN IN I STILL CANT GET ENGINE TO START FINALY AS IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON IT THE ENGINE STARTS UP (FINALY) I FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS SUPPLIED BY THE MANUFACTURER ENGINE SEEMS TO BE OK. 2 TANKS LATER IT ALL SEEMS TO BE RUNNING OK.SO I DECIDE THAT SEING AS IT IS RUNNING SO WELL I WILL FIT THE ENGINE.OK THEN HERES MISTAKE 1. I FIT THE ENGINE MOUNTS UPSIDE DOWN (T BAR DESIGN MOUNTS)ENGINE SEEMS TO BE A TIGHT SQUEEZE BUT FITS TO A DEGREE SO I FIT THE COWEL ETC AND BRING MY HARRIER TO BONCHESTER CLUB TO HAVE A RUN IN OF THE ENGINE ON THE GROUND I IN THE AREA IT WILL ONE DAY FLY, (WITH A BIT OF LUCK VERY WELL IN) .

WEEK 2 .HAVING CHECKED EVERYTHING BEFORE I WENT TO THE CLUB I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN CONNECT MY GLOW START AND USE MY STARTER ON IT (OK SO I WAS WRONG AS A MATTER OF FACT I COULDNT HAVE  BEEN MORE WRONG ).IT WOULDNT START. WHAT STARTED OUT AS A VERY GOOD DAY TO FLY SOON TURNED OUT TO BE A NIGHTMARE  . I SOON I HAD FLETCH COLIN AND AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER EVERY MEMBER OF THE CLUB OVER TRYING TO HELP ME OUT WE PUT THE PLANE UP ON A STAND TO GET BETTER ACCESS TO IT THE TOP END WAS TURNED DOWN THEN UP THEN DOWN THEN WE DECIDED IT WAS THE BOTTOM END THAT WAS WRONG SO IT WENT UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN MANY TIMES OVER IN THE END WHICH WAS ABOUT 3 ½ HRS WE FINALY ALL GAVE UP AND PACKED AWAY WITH INSTRUCTIONS THAT I SHOULD RUN A FEW MORE TANKS OF FUEL THROUGH THE ENGINE .OK SO HOME I GO WITH MY HEAD BETWEEN MY TAIL NURSING MY FAILURE

Tony Benton23/01/2008 19:19:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

WEEK 3 .I BRING OUT MY PLANE FROM THE HANGER (small shed )FUEL UP PUT ON MY GLOW START PUSH MY STARTER TO THE ENGINE AND ....................................IT STARTS UP FIRST TIME (SODS LAW INNIT NEVER DOES THAT WHEN PEOPLE ARE WATCHING I START ENGINE PUSH THROTLE UP TO FULL AND ADJUST TOP END TO PEEK AND THEN SCREW BACK A FEW CLICKS AND LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING AT FULL THEN THROTLE BACK TO MID WAY THEN LOW REVS ALL SEEMS FINE I DO THIS TILL HALFWAY THROUGH THE TANK AND THEN THE ENGINE CUTS OUT ON ME SO I START IT UP AGAIN AND IT TAKES FIRT TIME THINGS ARE LOOKING UP .I RUN THE REST IF THE TANK DRY AND REFUEL AND DO THE SAME ROUTINE AGAIN THIS TIME IT RUNS DRY WITHOUT CUTTING OUT ON ME . WOO HOO CRACKED IT !

WEEK 4 .OK BACK UP TO CLUB I BUILD UP MY PLANE AND THEN STRAP IT TO GROUND SO I CAN DO ANOTHER ENGINE RUN AT THE CLUB BEFORE I DIVE IN AND TRY TO FLY MY NEW PLANE  AND AGAIN IT DOS’NT WORK  HELP IS AT HAND IN THE FORM OF NICK THIS TIME  WE GET THE ENGINE RUNNING HE SUGGEST CERTAIN ADJUSTMENTS WHICH I  DO AND WE GET THE PLANE RUNNING AND IT MANAGES TO TICK OVER NICK NOW SUGGEST AS EXPERAMENT WE PUT A TANK OF HIS FUEL IN MY PLANE TO SEE PERFOMANCE DIFFERENCES (I HAD BEEN USING 5 % GLOW AND NICK USES 10 % GLOW THE REVS OF MY PLANE ARE NOW MORE STEADY AND ABOUT 500 MORE AT TOP END .THAT SETTLES THAT FOR ME I DECIDE I NEED TO USE 10 % INSTEAD OF 5 SO START LOOKING OUT FOR PLACES TO GET SOME MY PLANE FINALY HAS ITS FIRST EVER FLIGHT IN THE HANDS OF COLIN UP IT GOES .IT LOOKS OK BUT NEEDS THE COWEL REFITTED TO LOOK BETTER   BUT IN MID FLIGHT YET AGAIN THE ENGINE FAILS COLIN LANDS IT SAFLEY SO I TAKE HOME MY PLANE GLAD ITS FLOWN AND ALSO THAT IT SURVIVED ITS FIRST EVER FLIGHT WITH A DEAD STICK LANDING

Tony Benton23/01/2008 19:20:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

WEEK 5 I’VE RUN ANOTHER TANK OF FUEL THROUGH AT MY HOUSE UP TO THE CLUB I GO AGAIN I BITE THE BULLIT AND DECIDE TO TAKE IT UP MYSELF. 2 FLIGHTS LATER WITH DEAD STICK LANDINGS IN ROUGH GRASS WE ADJUST THE MIXES AGAIN AND I TAKE IT UP YET AGAIN THIS TIME IT DIES OUT ON MY IN A VERTICAL CLIMB I GET BACK SOME SEMBLANCE OF CONTROLL AND LAND 800 YARDS AWAY THANK GOD ITS STILL IN ONE PEICE WE ALL NOW HAVE COME TO THE COCNLUSION I SHOULD RE FIT MY COWEL AND MAKE A NEW HOLE IN IT SO I CAN STILL ADJUST THE BOTTOM END THE REASON TO REFIT THE COEWEL IS NOT FOR LOOKS BUT  BECAUSE ITS BEEN DECIDED THE ENGINE IS GETTING TO COLD IN FLIGHT AND CUTTING DUE TO THAT

WEEK 6 AFTER RE CUTTING AND RE FITTING THE COWEL AND ALSO PUTTING A CHESS BOARD AFFECT ON THE UNDERSIDE OF MY PLANE SO I CAN MORE EASILY SEE IF ITS UPSIDE DOWN OR NOT I GO BACK TO THE CLUB A NICE CRISP 2 DEGREES AND WET GROUND GREET ME WHEN I ARRIVE I BRING OUT MY HARRIER NOW IN ALL ITS SPLENDOR COWEL ETC ALL FITTED I BUILD IT UP FUEL IT UP AND HAVE 3 FAILED ATTEMPTS TO KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNIG BEFORE TAKE OFF COLIN COME OVER AND SUGGEST THAT I MAKE THE MIX RICHER AT THE TOP END ONCE ITS STARTED UP WHICH WE DO .OVER TO THE STRIP WE GO COLIN CARYING MY PLANE DOWN IT GOES AND THEN UP IT GOES BUT NOT VERY QUICKLY FLETCH QUICKLY TELLS ME IN FUTURE NOT TO HOLD DOWN THE ELLIVATOR FOR THE FULL TAKE OFF  THE ENGINE CUT ON ME AGAIN BUT YET AGAIN I BITE THE BULLLIT AND TAKE OFF AGAIN MUCH SMOOTHER THIS TIME  THE PLANE LOOKS REALY NICE IN THE AIR AND HANDLES EXTREMLY WELL RESPONSE IS LOVELY IT LOOKS GOOD AND BEST OF ALL  I GET A FULL FLIGHT OUT OF MY PLANE WITH NO ENGINE CUTS SO THERE YOU GO ALL THE PROBLEMS IVE HAD WITH THAT ENGINE BUT FINNALY IT SEEMS TO BE SOTING ITSLEF OUT ITS BEEN SAID TO ME SO MANY TIMES NOW AND I HAVE TO AGREE I THINK ITS TRUE NEVER THINK THAT 3 OR 4 TANKS OF FUEL IS EVER ANOUGHT TO TRULY RUN IN AN ENGINE AS MINE HAS PROVEN ITS HAD ABOUT A GALLON OF FUEL THROUGH IT NOW AND IS ONLY JUST STARTING TO LOOK LIKE ITS  GETTING RUN IN I HOP (FINGERS CROSSED)THAT IN A FEW MORE WEEKS AND A FEW MORE TANKS OF FUEL THROUGH IT I WILL HAVE A PLANE  AND AN ENGINE TO BE PROUD OF I’LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE  !!

winchweight24/01/2008 17:36:00
2516 forum posts
67 photos

Wow, you are clearly unhappy (and shouty)! I have an ASP 108 which is effectively the same engine and it is as sweet as can be. The first start of the day uses a starter, but all subsequent starts are a 1/4 turn back flip and it's away.

I have run it in inverted, fitted to my Sea Fury and I use Coolpower 10% with an OS No8 plug and an onboard glow. Absolutely no dramas at all.

Initially it ran fairly high at idle, but after a couple of tanks it was tweeked down to a nice steady low RPM. Acceleration is good and I imagine it will only improve with use.

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/th_EbayAM047.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/p][p][URL=http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/?action=view&current=EbayAM049.flv][IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/winchweight/th_EbayAM049.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/p

Tony Benton24/01/2008 17:55:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

sorry for shouting was forgetting to put of my caps lock rofl sorry about that

winchweight24/01/2008 20:29:00
2516 forum posts
67 photos
No worries mate. The two links show mine running. I don't know what could be wring with yours? I assume you've changed the plug and tried different fuel?
Tony Benton24/01/2008 21:12:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

yeh switched to 10 % and stuck an os 8 in does run better with the 10 % and the glow but its just not right at the bottom end now runs ok if i run it rich at the top end but as you probably know the harrier is designed to be flown at walking pace for the majority of the flight im gonna keep tweeking the mixes week by week as i think it may just be a bad carb set in it and needs to be run in more i hope so any way if i keep having problems in slightly warmer weathwer im gonna stick at petrol engine in it instead one of the members of bonchester club (http://www.scottishbordersmfc.co.uk/)

says he has a 19 cc one that i can us  for a  trial run to c if im happy with it or not

i hope its just some gradual tweeking i need to do as i would hate to have spent money on an engine just to through it away btw plane looks gr8 m8 will post the vid of my plane in here when i get the foottage  sorted out having probs getting it off the disc

winchweight25/01/2008 13:53:00
2516 forum posts
67 photos
A mate of mine who runs the LHS has told me that these engines really don't like to be run too lean. He says keep them just on the rich side.
Tony Benton25/01/2008 17:40:00
29 forum posts
72 photos

cheers will give that a shot did think that it had run better being a bit richer on top end need to try that on bottom end as well

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/drollserbitar/?action=view&current=NVEExport.flv

heres a vidof the first full flight with a richer mix

winchweight26/01/2008 03:18:00
2516 forum posts
67 photos
Looks good!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us