Forum sponsored by CML

Tiger 72.

Sports aerobat by Jim Newberry.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.11/11/2015 19:37:59
465 forum posts
248 photos

It's that time of year again - time to get busy building. So this winter's build project is a rework of a much earlier model; actually one of my all time favourites. It's the Ruhig Tigre, a 60" aerobat designed in the late 80s by Colin Dickson and published as a free plan in Radio Modeller magazine in November 1990. I built one from the original plan around 2005 and flew the socks off it until its eventual demise (after numerous rebuilds) some years later. I have been meaning to get around to building a bigger version ever since then but other things got in the way until, egged on by other forum members, I finally got around to drawing up the plan over the last few months.

First up, here are a couple of pictures of the earlier, 60" span version...

dscf1977.jpg

img_0184.jpg

So, that's our starting point. The redesigned model is 20% larger at 72" span. The outline remains very similar to Colin Dickson's design, but I have comprehensively redesigned the structure to take advantage of CAD software and laser cut parts. That being so, I felt it appropriate to change the name from Ruhig Tigre to Tiger 72. Based on the performance of the 60" version, I have high hopes for this one!

Edited By Jim Newberry on 11/11/2015 19:38:56

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.11/11/2015 19:48:41
465 forum posts
248 photos

To begin with, we will be needing a plan so, after many hours on TurboCAD, here are the drawings that formed the basis of the plan.

screen shot 2015-11-11 at 19.18.02.jpg

screen shot 2015-11-11 at 19.18.22.jpg

Pleased with my progress so far, I filled in the details and had the plan printed. It's a bit of a squeeze but it just about fits onto two sheets of A0 paper.

image.jpeg

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.11/11/2015 20:09:06
465 forum posts
248 photos

So, with the plan sorted, it was time to set about making a kit of parts. An exchange of emails between myself and SLEC ensued at the end of which I had a set of laser and router cut parts all ready to collect from their stand at the Gaydon LMA show (just a couple of miles from my house) in late October.

image.jpeg

In the event, I had two full sets produced - one for me and one for my dad as a birthday present.

While SLEC were busy cutting the wood for me, Sean at Perfect Pilots produced a 3D printed cowl from which vac formed copies could be made and lo and behold, the first of the vac formed cowls was ready for collection at Gaydon.

image.jpeg

That will save some work later on!

I produced a first draft instruction manual and packed up a full kit to send to my dad for his birthday (shh, it's a surprise!)

image.jpeg

Actual construction will get under way shortly, just as soon as the electrician turns up to sort out the wiring in my new shed!

Former Member11/11/2015 20:19:45

[This posting has been removed]

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.11/11/2015 20:39:52
465 forum posts
248 photos

Thanks Percy! I was about to email you to let you know things were progressing here!

Former Member11/11/2015 20:45:29

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.11/11/2015 21:35:52
465 forum posts
248 photos

Yes, on the size front, I am building the wing in one piece which just fits into my car with the back seats folded flat but a two piece wing would be an easy conversion if required. I found the original had a great range in terms of speed and performance so hopefully this one will too.

There are lightening holes in pretty much everything so with luck I should be able to keep the weight down too.

Piers Bowlan12/11/2015 09:38:51
2168 forum posts
53 photos

Jim, I was only looking at the original RM article and plan (Nov 1990) the other day, with a view to building one as my 'winter build'. What e-power train are you planning to use? Do you have any thoughts of selling some kits of the SLEC laser cut parts of the Tiger 72? That could be the decider for me!

Masher12/11/2015 09:57:51
1109 forum posts
79 photos

Me too! I have been following Stevo's build and was already inspired by Percy's comments - it's always good to get such good feedback on prospective models.

I will build the standard size with IC power. I have ordered the plan from MHS and have just spoken to Belair kits. There's good news and not so good news - the kit is available and looks comprehensive but it is now £110. This is probably a bit rich for me so I'll wait to see the plan before making the decision on make/buy the parts.

Lovely looking model and nice to hear that it will also do the aeros.

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.12/11/2015 10:16:45
465 forum posts
248 photos

Thanks chaps. The power train will be a 4-Max PPPO5055-580 on either four or five cells.

I am definitely planning on making plans and parts available to anyone who would like them, I need to do a bit of head scratching and come up with some prices so I can send you a PM when I've given it some thought.

Jim.

Former Member12/11/2015 19:25:44

Former Member12/11/2015 19:29:07

David Holland 212/11/2015 19:57:10
224 forum posts
25 photos

Jim, a cracking looking model....and the aircraftwink. Very Turbulent-ish. If you have a list of interested parties could you please add me to the list of plan and parts fanciers?

regards, David

Former Member12/11/2015 20:32:04

Lindsay Todd13/11/2015 00:19:16
1754 forum posts
1822 photos

Now that's a pretty looking model, I shall be watching with interest Linds

kc13/11/2015 11:57:00
6646 forum posts
173 photos

The original Ruhig Tigre plan is still available here

Ruhig Tigre seemed a strange .choice of name until I looked up ruhig in a German dictionary which defines it as " quiet, tranquil, calm" from descriptions of the model this seems a good name.

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.13/11/2015 14:35:22
465 forum posts
248 photos

The funny thing is that the customer review attached to that plan was the one I sent in years ago! It even makes mention of a plan to build it 20% bigger!

I'm at work for the next couple of days, hope to be able to get cracking with the build some time next week.

Former Member13/11/2015 14:42:21

Glyn4413/11/2015 21:06:46
733 forum posts
93 photos

Hi Jim,

Had a look as you suggested via Jocasta blog. Looks very nice. I will give it a go when, if, there's is a woodpack eventually.

Glyn

Jim Newberry - Nuviation Ltd.07/12/2015 15:45:12
465 forum posts
248 photos

I have finally moved into the new workshop and begun work on the Tiger. As always, I started with the tail surfaces which are made from a number of laser cut parts in 3/8" balsa and 3/8 x 1/4" strip. After releasing the laser cut parts from the balsa planks holding them, I had a pile of bits and two very black hands from the charring on the edges of the wood.

image.jpeg

Fitting the laser cut parts together took no more than a few minutes and slotting in the strip wood took a few more and that was all the tail pieces ready for sanding! In all, hardly more than an hour's work.

img_1704.jpg

img_1708.jpg

The construction method I've used differs from the original design, which used a 1/16" balsa core with balsa laminations making up the leading and trailing edges. There was nothing wrong with the design - in fact it worked very well on the 60" model - my method is a bit quicker and easier, the laser cut parts slot together very well and guarantee an accurate shape, but of course when the original plan was drawn up, laser cut parts were simply not available.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!