Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Batteries

Parallel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Comper24/11/2015 13:41:43
13 forum posts

hi I've joined two three cell 11.1 22mah batteries in parallel ,they work fine but when I come to charging there are two balance plugs, does anyone know if you plug one in thanks Mike

Dave Hopkin24/11/2015 13:48:12
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Charge them separately.........

AJ24/11/2015 13:56:27
143 forum posts
12 photos

Rather than just joining the batteries in parallel you should join the cells in parallel then you would only have 1 balance lead.

A.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator24/11/2015 14:10:04
6720 forum posts
189 photos

You shouldn't need to balance the cells every time you charge them up Comper so you could simply charge them as a 3S 4400mAh pack without any balancing needed but if a balance charge is necessary I'd charge them separately as Dave suggests.

Simon Chaddock24/11/2015 14:33:23
5442 forum posts
2853 photos

My advice would be to treat them a separate batteries all the time until you parallel them together for flight.

Whether you balance charge a LiPo every time or not is up to you. I always do.

There are of course factory produced 3S2P batteries which have their individual cells 'paralleled' together so there is only one balance plug. However soldering the leads together of active LiPos is not recommended.

In the factory the leads are all soldered on before the cells are 'activated' so there is no risk of a accidental short circuit.

IanN24/11/2015 14:44:56
1675 forum posts
119 photos

Or charge them together, in parallel. Plenty of accessories available to help with that, this being just one example

**LINK**

Daithi O Buitigh24/11/2015 14:58:51
1356 forum posts
49 photos

'Parallel charging' accessories are generalyl bad news as they never seem to actually work correctly. There are more complaints than enough about them on various fora (the 'correct' plural for 'forum' wink)

MattyB24/11/2015 15:55:39
1944 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 24/11/2015 14:58:51:

'Parallel charging' accessories are generalyl bad news as they never seem to actually work correctly. There are more complaints than enough about them on various fora (the 'correct' plural for 'forum' wink)

That's not my experience. I never do anything other than parallel charge; it's easier on your batteries and charging equipment, and once you understand the basics is extremely simple. The main thing to remember is safety - you are generally charging each pack at a lower rate, but there is a larger amount of lithium in close proximity when parallel charging, so if something does go wrong it could have bigger consequences. As a result make sure you use ammo boxes or good quality lipo bags, fit a fire alarm in your workshop, have an appropriate extinguisher or sand on hand to put out fires and charge on a fireproof surface (concrete floor etc). And of course it goes without saying don't leave your batteries alone whilst charging!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 24/11/2015 14:33:23:

My advice would be to treat them a separate batteries all the time until you parallel them together for flight.

Whether you balance charge a LiPo every time or not is up to you. I always do.

There are of course factory produced 3S2P batteries which have their individual cells 'paralleled' together so there is only one balance plug. However soldering the leads together of active LiPos is not recommended.

In the factory the leads are all soldered on before the cells are 'activated' so there is no risk of a accidental short circuit.

+1 - completely agree.

Edited By MattyB on 24/11/2015 15:58:06

IanN24/11/2015 16:20:27
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 24/11/2015 14:58:51:

I admittedly did have one HK item (not the one shown) that shorted and "spat" at me - fortunately on the balance plug side, not the main leads so more of a scare than an incident. The scorch mark when I took it apart appeared to indicate a short on the circuit board on the balance side

Others all fine though and you don't have to use a board. You can easily make up a harness to suit your own requirements

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us