Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Dust extractor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor06/12/2015 23:04:19
1917 forum posts
215 photos

Anyone got any advise on keeping your workroom clear of sanding dust. I fancy getting something that's not too noisy to run all the time I'm sanding. I'm getting fed up cleaning everything afterwards. I can't run a normal vac cleaner all the time due to the noise.

Monz06/12/2015 23:49:26
550 forum posts
31 photos

I investigated various extraction options for a business I'm setting up. For the hobbyist, a normal (Henry or equivalent) vacuum is the best option. I have invested in an industrial vacuum, but the noise is much more than what is acceptable for home hobby use, albeit more effective.

An alternative is sanding inside a small polyethylene shell and then evacuating that once done.

ben goodfellow 107/12/2015 07:20:51
1069 forum posts
41 photos

i am currently in the build of a work shop and have thought about this too, record do some good extractors , mine will be used along side plastic waste pipe and some blast gates to my tools...fly low

Masher07/12/2015 07:45:22
1106 forum posts
79 photos

For "standard" wood chips and dust, the range of dust extractors from Axminster tools are fine. They also do a good range of blast gates and fittings. There are a range of sizes/quality to suit your workshop size/budget.

These work fine for sawdust but ................. these are not specifically fine dust collectors. I have become sensitised to all the modelling adhesives and balsa dust so am looking at fine dust collectors. These are actually air filtration systems and claim to take all the fine particles out of the air such that that fine layer of dust on the bench in the mornings is no more. They can also provide fume extraction with a charcoal filter.

It would be nice to know if anyone uses these?

Martin Dance 107/12/2015 07:59:39
205 forum posts
33 photos

I have a SIP chip and dust extractor (a generic type much like the Record Power, Axminster ones) connected to my planer thicknesser, band saw and scroll saw, it works pretty well but blast gates controlling flow from each machine are essential these extractors don't have the puff to draw from each machine simultaneously. The noise level is reasonable. I also have a Record Power dust extractor mounted near the ceiling of my workshop this filters down to 1 micron particles. However to control dust from sanding you really need extraction close to the source of the dust, say no more than 150mm away a small vacuum cleaner is probably the best answer. I have a cheap bucket type bought from Screwfix mostly for floor cleaning but can be used close to sanding source, but like all machines of this type is fairly noisy, read noisiest thing in the workshop!

Tony Manzur07/12/2015 08:37:07
20 forum posts
64 photos

In my workshop builds, I use strategic ducts leading to a filter box and a 'quiet' fan mounted on an exterior wall. They don't have the pressure gradient of a vacuum cleaner, but they are quiet and they work. When the dust collection box gets full, you can shovel most of it out and the vacuum the filter.

trebor07/12/2015 09:14:13
1917 forum posts
215 photos

I tried looking for one with a variable speed motor but not found anything yet, not too bothered about chippings it's just dust oh! and fumes. Ideally I could do with a flexi outlet pipe so I could poke it out of the window for fumes. I gave myself a panic session the other day using Zak foam safe kicker. Sat in a chair spotting small amounts of kicker on my vision went double, the room I was working in upstairs meant walking down stairs while seeing double which made me nearly panic just to get outside. It felt like a hospital job as I sat in the garden for quite a while so I won't be doing that again crying

Martin Harris07/12/2015 10:31:11
9084 forum posts
224 photos

The Vax Dynamo Strike is a compact cylinder cleaner with variable speed - it needs it to stop the cleaning head sticking to the carpet (according to SWMBO of course!) so you'd have fairly quiet operation with the option of some serious sucking power when it's needed.

Andy4807/12/2015 12:26:27
1414 forum posts
5 photos

My workshop is at the back of the garage. I use a ducted extraction system (Axminster) with the extractor itself mounted in the garage, and a remote control to switch it on and off. No noise and tremendous suction.

Model Monster07/12/2015 13:25:23
55 forum posts
101 photos

I've got one of these, works really well. I put it at the end of the bench when doing anything really dusty or smelly and just hoover the front grille every now and then (turn the filter off 1st). The charcoal filters are easy to change every 3-6 months and seem to cope with cyano, thinner fumes etc. It's not too noisy and just needs the radio turned up a couple of notches.

My workshop also has a large Expelair wall extract fan, ducted to the outside, but I hardly ever use it now I've got this.

extract.jpg

Edited By Model Monster on 07/12/2015 13:30:58

Cabbage Man07/12/2015 14:23:06
110 forum posts

I have a microclene as well and it excellent. Not silent and it does drown the radio but it has stopped me getting balsa dust in the lungs . Recommended .

trebor07/12/2015 17:34:10
1917 forum posts
215 photos

What size do you recommend ?

Cabbage Man09/12/2015 15:30:40
110 forum posts

Depends on the size of your room ?

Martin Harris09/12/2015 16:15:10
9084 forum posts
224 photos

Recommendations are on the Microclene website - they helpfully relate sizes to average garages and sheds...

Martyn Johnston09/12/2015 16:47:56
811 forum posts
249 photos

Axminster have a deal on at the moment.

£50 off any Festool dust extractor.

I was sorely tempted but, even with that discount, can't see the difference between a posh Festool and a cheap vacuum cleaner.

kevin b09/12/2015 18:58:45
1706 forum posts
128 photos
Posted by Martyn Johnston on 09/12/2015 16:47:56:

Axminster have a deal on at the moment.

£50 off any Festool dust extractor.

I was sorely tempted but, even with that discount, can't see the difference between a posh Festool and a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Try running your vacuum cleaner all day and a) see how long it lasts and b) watch you electric meter spin ! wink 2

We use festools at work and they are good - but expensive.

Being from Yorkshire, we believe in using the cheapest methods. Work outside, preferable when a little breezy (like now). teeth 2

Robert Cracknell10/01/2016 00:47:20
126 forum posts
3 photos

Probably bl**dy expensive but if you value your health....

http://www.nederman.com/products/extraction-arms/bench-top-fume-and-odor-extraction-arms/bench-top-fume-and-odor-extraction-kits

Stuart Z24/12/2019 13:41:51
389 forum posts

Having another bout of bad breathing so looking at getting an air filter. Shocked when low sun highlighted the dust hanging in the air even after finished and removing mask! (I use both dust mask and fume masks as needed)

Looking at the Jet system and will look at the Microclene after the new year. Building on hold until resolved!

Any further advice to above welcome. (Yes I could go all foamy, but where’s the fun in that, no building.)

S

John Stainforth24/12/2019 14:33:27
323 forum posts
39 photos

I bought a Jet air filtration system about 8 years ago. Worked well up until a few months ago, when the motor packed in; nice and quiet with three speeds. The filtration unit uses a standard-looking A/C filter. I sanded parts directly in front of the filter. All the fine dust goes straight into the filter (which can be cleaned out by banging against an outside wall). The heavier stuff falls onto the floor beneath where it is easily swept up.

The only snag was the cost, which IIRC was about 160 pounds, which stuck me as rather a lot for what is basically an electric motor in a tin box. I see that the current equivalent model is now over 300 pounds.

Engine Doctor24/12/2019 14:48:31
2383 forum posts
29 photos

If your using ducting to your machines then try looking at Cyclonic dust filters on you tube easy to make , don't clog the filters and can be used with any type of vacuum cleaner.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us