Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

outrunner wiring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ernie20/12/2015 12:24:10
2512 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Guys, I must be missing something. This must be a very common problem.

I've just finished a wee glider, with an outrunner motor. Now, space is pretty tight up front, and the wires come out of the front of the outrunner, so they are passing very close to the rotating shell of the motor, with the danger of damage.

What do you electric whizzes suggest?

ernie

PatMc20/12/2015 12:39:01
4200 forum posts
521 photos

First choice is to glue or secure the wires to the fus clear of the rotating part. If that's not possible you could make a hole in the side of the nose corresponding to where the wires come out of the motor then another hole beyond the motor length to bring them back in. A small fairing covering the holes & wires would tidy things up.

Geoff Sleath20/12/2015 12:55:14
3368 forum posts
272 photos

It is a problem. We don't really want the motor to commit suicide by cutting through its own wires I've always been able to tape or stick the wires to the fuselage without going to lengths Pat suggests. Fortunately, on electric conversions etc it's more usual to mount the motor the other way round and then it's not a problem at all.

Geoff

Simon Chaddock20/12/2015 15:37:10
5443 forum posts
2855 photos

Ernie

In an installation where there is very little room selecting a motor that has its wires coming out the back becomes an important design issue. wink 2

I have a couple of planes where the outrunner motor bell is the size of the motor fairing!

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator20/12/2015 16:57:24
6720 forum posts
189 photos

Is this type of situation not what Inrunners were made for...? wink 2

But yes as the other chaps have said you do need to keep the wires away from the rotating can either by taping or gluing them to the fuselage side out of the way....thumbs up

Ernie21/12/2015 08:14:58
2512 forum posts
20 photos

Thanks all, It is a problem. at the risk of sounding negative, theres not much room to stick the wires to the inside of the fuz...I don't want to buy an inrunner, with all the installation problems...Its tight in there. I suppose the best way is to go out side the fuz and add a fairing. I'll go and give it a whirl

ernie

Allan Bennett21/12/2015 08:56:36
1544 forum posts
39 photos

Is it too late to give your model a firewall behind the motor, and a removable lightweight cowl for the nose? I mounted an AXI outrunner in my scale Cub by bolting it directly to the firewall instead of using the normal X-mount, which was too wide to fit in the cowl. It does require access to the rear of the firewall though, to tighten the mounting bolts from the back -- hex socket bolts and a long ball-ended hex driver does the job for me.

gangster21/12/2015 09:57:09
958 forum posts
17 photos

Is it possible to reverse the shaft on the motor you have? It sounds like the prop driver is on the shaft coming out the back. On some motors you can reverse the shaft or get a prop driver that bolts to the outrunning bit. I am sure there is a motor out there to suit your needs. Not a good plan to have the wires coming out the front Have a word with BRC hobbies

Engine Doctor21/12/2015 10:07:21
2300 forum posts
27 photos

Hi a canned out runner would sort your problem if you can find one . It's an out runner that runs inside a metal can giving all the torque of a out runner with the convenience of an in runner. There are not many on the market but you may be able to find something suitable. They were fitted in the Flying Legends fighters sold by Ripmax a few years ago Other option is to re configure your motor so that the shaft protrudes from the other end effectively letting the wires exit at the back out of the way of the rotating can. Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

PatMc21/12/2015 16:51:01
4200 forum posts
521 photos
Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/12/2015 10:07:21:

Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

Not as untidy as a cylinder head would be. There would be no need for them to be "hanging" even if not covered by a small fairing, as suggested.

Geoff Sleath21/12/2015 18:02:52
3368 forum posts
272 photos
Posted by Engine Doctor on 21/12/2015 10:07:21:

Wires hanging out of the side of the model should not really be an option as they are untidy and can get caught or damaged when landing.

Not necessarily. The esc for my Limbo Dancer is mounted on the outside of the fuselage between the undercarriage legs and perfectly safe and secure.

Geoff

Simon Chaddock21/12/2015 18:43:17
5443 forum posts
2855 photos

Surely there are lots of "foamies" that everything hanging out side!

Whether you bury wiring (or anything else come to that) is entirely a matter of personal choice. wink 2

Dave Bran21/12/2015 20:01:11
1898 forum posts
5 photos

Reverse the shaft and turn the motor round?

Ernie23/12/2015 09:19:40
2512 forum posts
20 photos

Thanks all,

It really is a minefield.

I've done a bit of cobbling with some tape, and it doesnt seem to be touching. I'll give it a whirl next week,and think about a more permanent solution

ernie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us