Forum sponsored by CML

Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

HD having no relation w/ HiDef but simply Hybrid Depron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

john stones 113/12/2016 20:45:59
9682 forum posts
1435 photos

Bench Flying ? put the fuzz on the wing...on the bench... and we can have a look...butchers wink

John

Rosco14/12/2016 03:29:45
448 forum posts
386 photos
I'm still here Chris

Work has taken over my life for the last 3 weeks. I've actually not had a day off and even now I'm at work!.....anyway.....

....Your wing is looking good. I'm looking forwards to it being 'dummy' mounted for a photo moment.

In my building experience, when you can fit up a wing to a model , even if it's not mounted properly and just dummied up, it feels like a moment of celebration and relief. I seem to get a feeling of inspiration and relief, that things are coming together.

Keep it up mate

Rosco

McG 696914/12/2016 18:55:52
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Thank you both, gents.

Can't "put the fuzz on the wing", John... as the fuse carries the u/c, I will have to hang the wing under the 'fuzz'... frown

Don't worry, Rosco. Keep faith and you'll be rewarded soon with the build of your "Rocket-Writer"...

As for the 'bench flying', you'll have to be a bit patient. When the wing is finalized, I'll have to make & install the wing tips and than go for glassing the whole thing first as the bare Depron is a real 'ding-magnet' so far.

What about around Christmas time? I could even add a few typical season's decorations to the 'bench flying' session... angel

By the way, I managed to cut & laminate the R1 bits together and also had all of the centre section pieces prepared for the next gluing job... yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Jingle Bells Control

McG 696915/12/2016 20:47:25
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Hello gentlemen,

I have the feeling to progress quite well for my current abilities, but on the other side everything is going so slow that I don’t have much to tell or even to show… blush

All the bits for the centre section that I prepared have been dry fitted and finally glued in.

1968_wing_ centrebits01_900.jpg

I also made two triangular pieces of Deply to avoid that the laminated R1 bits with the dowel would ‘leave’ Bella’s wing undesired as the front part of it contains no reinforcing u/c mounts/bearers or whatever ‘strong’, but only thin Depron sheeting. I thought that now at least the loads to the dowel are spread over the main spar brace… angel

1971_wing_centrebits02_900.jpg

The port wing top sheeting is dry fitted in place to allow me to measure and prepare the central covering bits.

… and in the meantime, Simon has successfully maiden his second Ballerina build… crying > smiley > yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tempus Fugit Control

McG 696916/12/2016 20:37:27
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Hi to all,

I’m still plodding with the central section bits before coming up to definitely fit the port wing covering on.

I have a question though.

I have some 6mm dowel lengths of ‘épicéa’ (French for spruce) and also of ‘bouleau’ (which is birch) at hand. Which one should I preferably use for the Bella’s wing dowel, please… indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dowel Control

Peter Miller16/12/2016 21:31:28
9190 forum posts
1062 photos
10 articles

I doubt if it will make very much difference but birch might be slightly better unless someone else has better information

McG 696917/12/2016 10:13:48
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Thank you for your advice, Peter.

'Birch' it will be then. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dowel 2 Control

McG 696917/12/2016 19:05:46
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Hello to everybody,

I nearly forgot to foresee the two small infill blocks for the wing bolts. Just in time, I used two bits of my favourite insulation foam as “variation” to Peter’s balsa stock on top of the ply. angel

1975_wing_foam_900.jpg

The rear top sheeting was glued in place and although it looks like made of two parts, it’s just one piece of Depron, but ‘scored’ on the centre line. As it will be visible through the glassing later, it could help to temporary align the wing to the centreline of the fuse formers. Don’t know yet, but maybe… indecision

1980_wing_centrebits03_900.jpg

The birch - thx again, Peter - wing dowel is just dry fitted for now as it will be easier to sand the LE and glass the wing without it. smiley

1982_wing_centrebits04_900.jpg

The front sheeting part is to be brought in after the port top sheeting has been glued which is now very clearly the next step.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Score Control

Rosco17/12/2016 19:53:06
448 forum posts
386 photos
Your workmanship is immaculate Chris.

Very neat and precise.
World's away from mine!

Nice work

Rosco
Colin Leighfield17/12/2016 20:00:59
5438 forum posts
2229 photos

I share Rosco's admiration

Colin Leighfield17/12/2016 20:01:01
5438 forum posts
2229 photos

Colin Leighfield17/12/2016 20:01:02
5438 forum posts
2229 photos

Colin Leighfield18/12/2016 00:41:56
5438 forum posts
2229 photos

Chris, my apologies for the three odd posts. I was writing as some visitors arrived and put the cover down on the IPad without completing the message or turning off. When I looked later I found that the partly completed post had fired off three times!

Anyway, as Roscos does, I think your workmanship is excellent. I don't get near to that standard.

Simon Chaddock18/12/2016 01:22:09
5173 forum posts
2710 photos

Chris

According to Google that birch dowel being resistant to mould and rot (unlike spruce) will out last the rest of the wood in the plane! wink 2

Peter Miller18/12/2016 08:32:51
9190 forum posts
1062 photos
10 articles
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 18/12/2016 01:22:09:

Chris

According to Google that birch dowel being resistant to mould and rot (unlike spruce) will out last the rest of the wood in the plane! wink 2

You mean that it is not biodegradable?surprise

Hi Chris.

AS they all say, you do achieve perfection. Something that I never do.

McG 696918/12/2016 17:42:53
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Well gentlemen, I think I'm really going to be embarrassed now, but thank you all for your motivating comments. blush

It's far from "perfection" really, but I try to be as neat as possible with the materials at hand and very certainly still training my skills a lot.

Don't ask if it has a relation with my Bella being the 'last one' apparently from the Ballerina Mass Build though... indecision

If somebody is to be blamed, my finger points straight away to Danny. Before deciding to give it a try to the MB 2016, I've been reading Mr Fenton's Chippie blog for months. So, he must be guilty - without even knowing - of my attempts to be as "precise" as possible.

No reasons for apologies, Colin. I just thought you were not considering my English to be sufficient to understand your words 'in one go'... wink

Regarding 'biodegradability', I now think that at the next Alien visit, the little Green guys will wonder why those local 'Earthlings' are keeping their tiny round shaped amulets in a large amount of some kind of white leightweight mass...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR BioAlien Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 18/12/2016 17:47:57

McG 696919/12/2016 19:18:38
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Hi everybody,

Not so much news again…

… but, for me, some ‘great’ news.

The port wing top sheeting is glued to the wing and the front centre section as well. yes

No picture though as it looks exactly the s(h)ame of course as the starboard wing with those old catalogues, steel rulers and even sandbags and vintage quad battery… angel

As the next job will be to make some blue foam wing tips, I decided to have a HAD (Hand Assisted Design!) for another mild insanity.

If you remember, the Bella’s fuselage had a few ‘variations’ with a thinner fuselage, a modded fin, a fibreglass cowl, an ‘inboard’ u/c, etc…

So, while the sheeting is drying, I thought the wing should have some ‘McG-identification’ as well and decided to give the wingtips a ‘discrete boost’.

After a bit of pondering, I remembered an ex-Belgian Army BN-2 Islander – now OO-MMM & based in Ostend – still operating for some North Sea Survey patrols.

islander_00-mmm_04.jpg

For the period in which it was designed, I was surprised it had some ‘winglet’-ish type of wing tips also giving some kind of ‘washout’ at the TE.

I’m convinced that even this time, Peter will forgive me again. So, some pencils, a piece of paper, a bit of old trig & some neuron-screwing might make it possible to obtain it for the Bella.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Winglet-ish Control

Peter Miller19/12/2016 19:39:10
9190 forum posts
1062 photos
10 articles

Why not? It looks like some light planes. the RV series if my memory (rather short these cdays) serves correctly.

I don't mind what people do with my designs. It is the first step in learning to design themselves.

The only thing I ask is "Don't blame me if it doesn't work!!"

Simon Chaddock19/12/2016 21:21:27
5173 forum posts
2710 photos

I would not worry too much Chris.

Such a tip will almost certainly work or at the very least not make much difference - which of course you will never know unless you make interchangeable wing tips. wink 2

The 'sliced off' wing tip on my Ballerina does not seem to cause any ill effects - as demonstrated by the last video!

Wing tip1

I could even make out a case to show such a tip might actually reduce the potential for a 'tip stall' although I suspect the relatively thick constant chord wing has much more to do with its benign stall characteristics.

McG 696920/12/2016 10:41:12
2177 forum posts
912 photos

Hello gentlemen,

I hereby officially declare that I won’t have any complaints formulated, Peter… angel

I’m totally convinced that your “sliced off” wing tip has some anti stall effect, Simon. Certainly in combination with a thicker type airfoil.

zenith_701_oo-d82.jpg

It reminds me of the Zenair 701, one of the most ‘homebuilt’ planes in the States and even worlwide, with a similar wing tip attribute. Not really the most attractive design I’ve ever seen - its nickname is the “Sky Jeep” - but Chris Heintz made a great job towards its STOL characteristics. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR STOL Control

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues