Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

HD having no relation w/ HiDef but simply Hybrid Depron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696930/01/2017 18:44:02
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hi to all,

Still no Biarritz ‘pistes de ski’, nor Seychelles sanded beaches, but still plodding around with the Bella.

2157_wing_glassweight_900.jpg

I forgot to post the weight of the wing & ailerons after glassing. Sorry, Rosco… blush

So, at nearly 315gr, it’s nearly 60gr heavier when glassed with varnish or Poly C as you gents would call it.

As there is still some sanding to do next, I think I should be pleased with that result - taking in consideration the 1436mm wingspan - as it means that I’m still in the running for the 400gr target with the servos & extensions… and around 430gr if I’m careful with the Fred Sauce & the final paint of course… indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Obesity Control

McG 696901/02/2017 18:40:41
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hello everybody,

I’m still trying to have some progress made to the Ballerina.

The glass cloth got finally lightly sanded and foreseen of a layer of Fred’s Sauce then - after drying - the ‘big’ sanding session was started.

The ailerons are done now as well as the bottom of the wing. I will be very pleased when the top part will be done allowing me to have a decent cleaning of all that dust in La Grotte. frown

This is really a job to be done outdoors on a nice sunny springtime day. I guess my building timeline went totally wrong. blush

2161_wing_aileron_sauced_900.jpg

Speaking of “progress”, in fact I don’t even have that impression when looking at the different bits. Some time ago, I had nice looking white foam combined with some cute balsa edges… now it seems that all my pieces got ugly and cloudy-grey shaded… crying

2164_winaileron_sauced02_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Progress? Control

Simon Chaddock01/02/2017 20:12:19
5169 forum posts
2708 photos

Chris

You know the solution to keep the white bits white - just don't glass them! wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 01/02/2017 20:16:00

McG 696902/02/2017 18:10:02
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hi Simon & thanks for commenting.

I should totally agree with you except for the fact that the Depron and the balsa bits were still looking great and shiny after the glassing. wink

My silly idea to mix some grey acrylic to Fred's Sauce brought this kind of 'visual disaster'. blush

Next time I'll consider using a few pink drops... or even fluo yellow... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fluo Control

McG 696903/02/2017 21:29:27
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hello gents,

Have you ever had one of those days when the only thing holding you back is your own stupidity”… (quoted from ‘somewhere’ on the net).

With all the wing bits finally sanded down - some of them needing two passes of Sauce to properly fill the ‘handling dings’ - I got finally ready for some priming job.

2168_wing_aileron_cata01_900.jpg

I had some water-based grey primer spray cans and started to give the ailerons a first layer… without reading the ‘small letters’ of the tag stating that the propellant gas was a … solvent!!! surprise

As I had been meticulous about sanding the Sauce deep enough to just fill the small dings and to avoid as much as possible excessive weight, I very probably went too far and left some tiny openings for the solvent to penetrate the foam.

2171_wing_aileron_cata02_900.jpg

I’ll need to have some deep 'surgery' here, cut the ‘sick’ foam covering away, replace it… and start the glassing and the finishing procedure all over.

Of course, I could have started with the wing instead of the ailerons, so somewhere I should feel ‘lucky’ I didn't…

But, I’m not that sure if I needed ‘this’ right now. frown

May I allow myself a gigantic moan here, please…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Moan Control

onetenor03/02/2017 21:57:00
1716 forum posts

Chris Remind me please what is FRED'S SAUCE ?

Mark Elen03/02/2017 22:22:03
328 forum posts
577 photos

Hi Chris,

I feel for you buddy. Nothing a man of your means cannot overcome👍

I would be tempted to stick some lightweight filler in there, sand it down and paint over it, once it's finished, only you (and the rest of us watching here) would know it's there.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 03/02/2017 22:26:15

john stones 103/02/2017 23:08:26
9666 forum posts
1435 photos

I would just fill it, and if i was real fussed about it glass cloth that side again ?

John

McG 696904/02/2017 18:17:57
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Thank you for commenting, guys.

@ Onetenor > if you visit page 43 of this blog and scroll down a bit, you'll find the complete explanation of Freddie B's Sauce.

@ Mark & John > my first thought was indeed to 'bodge' some filler in the 'sick' places, but the cancer seems to be involving more than just a superficial 'melting'. I think the solvent melted some areas at the surface and also continued the job under the glassed and filled surface as major parts of the surface feel like there is just 'nothing' underneath anymore.

Not a full 'disaster', but I'll have to cut the foam away to have an idea of the damage 'inside'. indecision

More to come after a dissection/diagnosis at La Grotte, hopefully tomorrow.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Diagnosis Control

McG 696905/02/2017 18:02:33
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hello again everybody,

Just got back from La Grotte and here's my 'dissection' report.

The port aileron was indeed very sick, so I had to cut the foam sheeting away as there were different areas with only some thin glass fiber and filler left over. As I suspected, the foam was totally 'vanished' at some major places. frown

I had a new piece of Depron covering made up and glued in with foam safe CA - which was a first time use for me - to gain some time. The port aileron is now glassed again and curing. yes

The starboard one had only superficial damage and was filled back easily with a mix of OneTime and white glue.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Back in Business Control

McG 696908/02/2017 20:10:48
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Apprentice Chris back to report progress, Sir(s).

- Port aileron lightly sanded after glassing was cured and some Sauce applied.

- Starboard aileron sanded both sides & primed top side with foam-friendly white spray can primer & left to dry.

- Port aileron's Sauce sanded & primed top side (cfr above spray can) & left to dry.

- Starboard aileron primed bottom side (cfr above spray can again) & left to dry (again).

- Port aileron sanded & primed bottom side (cfr above spray can which seems to be nearly empty already).

- Tried to retrieve my breath for multiple hours as this was done indoors in a improvised spray booth being a large carton box... no

- Started to prime the main wing bottom - outdoors this time & with a new rattle can - when it started to lightly rain after a very short while. I will have to sand that one back again... frown

Why do I start to hate rattle cans?

Matata (again)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lack of Spray Can Control

john stones 109/02/2017 18:06:29
9666 forum posts
1435 photos

Aye they're a bit hit n miss unless you shake em for ages, it's all purple progress though.

John...Purple Rain Control.

McG 696910/02/2017 18:25:33
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Thank you for visiting and commenting, John.

Please believe me I "shake em for ages" and even put 'em' in the sink filled with 60°C water, but even then...

If I spray the main wing 'indoors', I will have have to clean La Grotte for hours trying to remove the spray dust all over the place. surprise

I suppose you guys must have a 'secret trick' somehow, but meanwhile I'll have to wait for a sunny and dry day to primer spray the wing outdoors. It's waiting for it as I sanded it back already after that 'really funny' rain shower but today we even had some light melting snow here in BRU . frown

I guess I will have to find a budget for an airbrush, compressor and touch up gun someday. angel

By the way 'Prince' John, aren't you confusing your "purple progress" with Peter's Purple Plan???

But then we had some 'Rain' as well the other day...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Candy Dulfer Control

McG 696911/02/2017 19:40:32
2167 forum posts
909 photos

... ooh, by the way, as there seems to be a recent "Fly with music" thread on here.

Candy Dulfer was the saxo-lady of Prince’s music guys in those days.

Pretty talented young woman and - Lucas should be aware of it - she was... Dutch.

Just to give you an idea >

But then, also being proud to remember that the inventor of the saxophone was a Belgian…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Adolphe Saxe Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/02/2017 19:41:11

Simon Chaddock12/02/2017 00:05:27
5169 forum posts
2708 photos

Chris

If you visit a production spray environment you wouldn't believe a) how fast they spray and b) how quickly they get the article into the hot (70C?) drying ovens but then if you are doing hundreds of items an hour I suppose you can afford to wreck a few paint jobs before you get the conditions just right.

For one off model planes it just has to be 'trial and error' coupled with experience. wink 2.

onetenor12/02/2017 08:14:21
1716 forum posts

Thanks Chris Fred's Sauce is like mine.I also use dilute Celly to add the talc to..Clear or coloured but you can't use this mix on most foams

onetenor12/02/2017 08:38:45
1716 forum posts
Posted by McG 6969 on 08/02/2017 20:10:48:

Apprentice Chris back to report progress, Sir(s).

- Port aileron lightly sanded after glassing was cured and some Sauce applied.

- Starboard aileron sanded both sides & primed top side with foam-friendly white spray can primer & left to dry.

- Port aileron's Sauce sanded & primed top side (cfr above spray can) & left to dry.

- Starboard aileron primed bottom side (cfr above spray can again) & left to dry (again).

- Port aileron sanded & primed bottom side (cfr above spray can which seems to be nearly empty already).

- Tried to retrieve my breath for multiple hours as this was done indoors in a improvised spray booth being a large carton box... no

- Started to prime the main wing bottom - outdoors this time & with a new rattle can - when it started to lightly rain after a very short while. I will have to sand that one back again... frown

Why do I start to hate rattle cans?

Matata (again)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lack of Spray Can Control

Chris please use a proper mask when spraying.Those vapours can kill

McG 696912/02/2017 18:27:21
2167 forum posts
909 photos
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 12/02/2017 00:05:27:

For one off model planes it just has to be 'trial and error' coupled with experience. wink 2.

Thank you, Simon.

I've been invited to visit the finishing department of a 'top end' bicycle manufacturer (Ridley) here in BE. The carbon fiber frames are made in China and the finishing and assembly are done here in Hasselt. As you wrote, the powder coating & curing takes less time than for me to write down... Amazing. surprise

Unfortunately, in my case, it's more like "trial and error coupled with"... UNexperience. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR UNcontrol

McG 696912/02/2017 18:38:52
2167 forum posts
909 photos

You're very welcome, Onetenor. And great if you knew the recipe already.

Not sure if I understand your "Celly" correctly, though. Does it mean 'cellulose'? Those thinners would very probably 'kill' any foam I know of. crying

Normally I'm wearing a 'real pro' mask for spraying larger items... but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to wear some glasses as well. But then, indoors, I was only spraying the small ailerons as a test-piece. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Fumes Control

McG 696913/02/2017 21:46:14
2167 forum posts
909 photos

Hello everybody out there,

I came to the decision not to wait till Easter to be able to make some painting progress to Bella’s wing. As working indoors was definitely a ‘no-no’, I just had to build my spray booth outdoors… surprise

The kitchen terrace seemed to be a perfect strategic place. Two small ladders, some ropes and broom sticks did allow me to build a ‘frame’. An old bathroom curtain became the roof, some large painter’s plastic sheets were perfect walls. Half an hour and half a roll of duct tape later, I could plug in my small blowing heater.

I was only a bit afraid that the ‘construction’ could start to convince itself being a genuine hot air balloon but all went well this time and now at least I have a result.

My only regret is that I won’t be able to use the booth again as I really had to dismantle it right away before it could get blown away. frown

The wing is finally drying now and will deserve a picture soon… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Booth Control

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues