cymaz20/02/2016 15:58:55
9388 forum posts
1216 photos

Hooray party

But does it start?

Braddock, VC20/02/2016 17:08:07
1658 forum posts
82 photos

On my ngh 9 it's possible to fit the prop driver 180 degrees out, there being two flats machined on the crankshaft to locate the prop driver. I can't remember if it's possible to do the same with my ngh 25. As I don't have the 17 I don't know at all.

Both engines behave well, start ok but both have to be pretty "wet" to get the initial start of the day over and done with.

simpson j22/02/2016 16:18:04
189 forum posts
122 photos

image.jpegimage.jpgHi all I started my engine to day with hall sensor upsidedown ok and it works cheekyimage.jpeg

john stones 122/02/2016 16:33:52
11698 forum posts
1517 photos

Magic yes

cymaz22/02/2016 17:25:09
9388 forum posts
1216 photos
Posted by cymaz on 19/02/2016 18:03:39:

The only thing I can think of now is which way is the magnet and/or pick up detector?

It would seem that if the ignition box has been given the ok then it might be that the magnet is the wrong way round....no idea after thisdisgust

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the reply I gave some moments ago.......( in the smug zone) blush

Really glad you got it sorted yesyes. Unidentifable spark ignition problems are a complete PIA

cymaz27/09/2020 09:37:02
9388 forum posts
1216 photos

A club member has a problem with his NGH GT17. Starts and runs on idle nicely. Picks up and revs well......that’s when the problem starts

• 30 seconds from idle to WOT the engine tightens up considerably, slows and stops.
  • everything else is great. Starts well, idles well, draws fuels well, easy to tune.

The only thing we could come up with is that the piston ring has an incorrect gap, causing it to bind on the cylinder when up to operating temp.

Am I clutching at straws or onto something???

Brian Dorricott 127/09/2020 10:42:07
120 forum posts
2 photos

Won't help with the tightness but I replaced my sparkplug with the OS G5 glow plug in my NGH17cc because my CDI units got burned in a fire . Starts and runs lovely on test bench but the NGH is still a bit noisy for our field and I don't have anything suitable to put it in at moment . Really can't see any difference between CDI or glow plug running and for £7.50 it's worth a try , one less battery and CDI unit to fit . Some people say it has problems in tuning but they are modding a glow to petrol but the NGH is already petrol all your doing is replacing the ignition !

Bob Cotsford27/09/2020 11:17:48
8794 forum posts
494 photos
Posted by cymaz on 27/09/2020 09:37:02:

A club member has a problem with his NGH GT17. Starts and runs on idle nicely. Picks up and revs well......that’s when the problem starts

• 30 seconds from idle to WOT the engine tightens up considerably, slows and stops.
  • everything else is great. Starts well, idles well, draws fuels well, easy to tune.

The only thing we could come up with is that the piston ring has an incorrect gap, causing it to bind on the cylinder when up to operating temp.

Am I clutching at straws or onto something???

Can you check the ignition timing? Even better if you can try it with another ignition unit from a known working engine. I'm thinking timing advance issues caused problems back when we ran manual or mechanical advance/retards on motorbikes. Other than that you would have to think something is distorting as it warms up, or possibly a bearing on it's way out?

Engine Doctor27/09/2020 11:58:55
2620 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by simpson j on 22/02/2016 16:18:04:

image.jpegimage.jpgHi all I started my engine to day with hall sensor upsidedown ok and it works cheekyimage.jpeg

Ok you have taken the prop off on the top and bottom pic ?smiley Painting the prop tips white or yellow gives a definite visible ring to avoid when its running .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!