Forum sponsored by CML

EDF Vectored thrust

Has anyone tried it & if so any tips please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Myron Beaumont16/02/2008 18:42:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Wanting to hand launch the Hawk on the way & seen some videos of vectored thrust jets .Incredible manoeverability .No experience in this field so would appreciate any advice Seems to make one hell of a difference ?
Eric Bray16/02/2008 18:50:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

Vectored thrust is very tempting, for a jet with re-heats!

I imagine that for a ducted fan, it would be way too lossy. As you already know, ANYTHING in the airflow costs thrust, so trying to 'bend' the tailpipe is doubly iffy! 

Myron Beaumont16/02/2008 19:04:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Eric   Have you seen the models on youtube ? (no reheat)  Try www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnFEgHfbvc    Thanks for reply .They dont "bend " the tailpipe but one guy put a simple flap for want of a better word at the exit .It works up & down approx 30 degrees I would guess ?Amazing results (on video) Never seen anything turn on its own length before like that & he seems to have a micro servo only to power it .Hence the request for info ?
Eric Bray16/02/2008 22:35:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos
I have now!!! Could do with a smilie with a boot in the mouth!
Myron Beaumont16/02/2008 23:21:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Myron Beaumont17/02/2008 19:59:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Jetsome  Hmmm  Not sure what sort of thrust to expect . Some of my models (eg Bullet /Webra 40 powered ) I'd just let go vertically & get both hands on the tranny quickly .(showing my age again)
Geoff Parkes21/02/2018 09:19:07
108 forum posts

if you look at videos of the freewing SU35 on you tube ,these are amaizing, twin 70 mm contra rotating fans with nozzels fitted to the end of the jet outlet tubes, these vector the thrust up/down with the elevators, left/right with rudders and up/down with ailerons,they use 6s batteries and are amazing, give approx. 5mins flight,only down side is the inlets are really close to the ground O.K. if you fly off tarmac but if you fly off grass you pick up any debis thats on the runway -dont ask me how I know,spare fans are cheap from RCCastle in Hong Kong. Hobby king sometimes offer these planes at considerably cheaper price than Freewing stockists.

Former Member21/02/2018 18:35:09
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

PeterF21/02/2018 20:56:59
490 forum posts
675 photos

The Sebart Mig25 is another good example of this, very light, greater than 1:1 thrust:weight, these can be prop hung for want of a better description.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us