By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Nostalgia aint what it used to be........

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bravo Delta04/02/2016 19:18:37
79 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 04/02/2016 11:06:11:
Posted by Dave Bran on 04/02/2016 11:03:09:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 04/02/2016 09:42:42:

Pans People

Especially Babs.............................

Get away from MY Babs you................ angry

I think Robert Powell the actor might have something to say about that !

Dave Hopkin04/02/2016 19:23:03
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Bravo Delta on 04/02/2016 19:18:37:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 04/02/2016 11:06:11:

Pans People

Get away from MY Babs you................ angry

I think Robert Powell the actor might have something to say about that !

I was wondering what happened, she popped out for a pint of milk in 1977........

Eagle 89904/02/2016 19:27:08
189 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 04/02/2016 18:08:02:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 04/02/2016 15:46:57:
PPeter there is a standard "Dangers of Thunderflashes" demo they do (or did anyway) to terrify recruits - battle bowler body minus the spider and headband, pull the igniter and pop the tin hat over it - KABOOM - tin hat goes about 60ft in the air - powerful things them.....

They used to throw the damn things at us when we were on the assault course during RN training; still got tinnitus to this day!

john stones 104/02/2016 19:49:52
11443 forum posts
1516 photos

Road sweepers used to use a cart pulled by a big white horse, (shire maybe) called him Flower, we used to carry carrots to feed him, our old fella always sent me out to collect his droppings for his roses...made a right mess of my pockets crook

John

Geoff S04/02/2016 20:16:52
3578 forum posts
14 photos

Pans People

The guy who was the permanent skipper on the Rolls Royce yacht 'Merlin of Clyde' (a 54' ferro-cement ketch) was married to a former Pan's Person. Not sure which one it was because I never met her. Best job I ever had at RR in the 1990s was going sailing for a week every year as first mate all expenses paid (I never logged my overtime ). I don't think they got on all that well because he was never in a rush to go home when we arrived back in the Inverkip marina after the cruise.

We used to take about 10 raw RR apprentices out for a week in the Clyde or Irish Sea and by the time we got back they were working as 2 teams sailing the boat (between bouts of sea sickness)

Geoff

Phil 904/02/2016 20:27:29
4287 forum posts
251 photos

setting the tracking for VHS tapes

Action Man

Tv ads for Ronco products

Marathon chocolate bars

watching the A team and thinking it was good

the Benny Hill show

dr magnus pyke

Dave Hopkin04/02/2016 20:43:15
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Tomorrows world...............

Staying up all night with dad enthralled at the live TV feed from the first moon landing, after mom had told us we were both mad!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 04/02/2016 20:44:25

cymaz04/02/2016 20:45:25
9182 forum posts
1181 photos

I know what to spend my paper round money on.....this!

Mike Etheridge 104/02/2016 20:50:08
1543 forum posts
429 photos

I have just seen these posts and they certainly brought back memories. Someone mentioned about home made rockets with W & S. I did precisely this and made three with different sized exit holes for the exhausts, 1/8 inch, 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch. The chemical mixture if left some time would sweat (Deliquescent ?) so I waited for the first opportunity to set off the rockets in our garden when both my parents were out from home. Once the chance came I dashed out the garden with three milk bottles with the rockets installed and lit all three Jetex fuses. unfortunately this was all witnessed by my neighbours who were gardening. One rocket blew up, another burnt out in the bottle and the last one shot into the air and landed in a neighbour's garden and burnt out on their lawn where after a week or two a large patch of grass died. I was of course 'grassed on' and was banned from firework making. Undeterred my friend and I asked our science master at school if there was a better chemical mix for rockets. He brushed past us and said ''have you tried S and Z ''. Well I did try a small quantity in my bedroom at home in a saucer and once ignited with a catalyst it completely filled the room with smoke and I had to evacuate the room immediately. This mixture appears on a restricted site on the internet.

Another person mentioned about a school near the old Millwall football ground. Was this Monson Primary School?--I had the job of producing a rewire scheme fro the school in 1990 on behalf of the GLC just prior to it's demise.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/02/2016 20:52:59

cymaz04/02/2016 21:19:46
9182 forum posts
1181 photos

Off to watch some telly,

Look out for the Condor advert, have we learnt nothing in RC over the years wink

Former Member04/02/2016 22:32:15
3577 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Andrew Dunn 104/02/2016 23:42:39
24 forum posts
4 photos

the little white dot when you turned the tv off

Stuart C05/02/2016 00:16:35
128 forum posts
4 photos

Kids' cricket matches - in the middle of the street. Very few motor vehicles about after the war, and all the parks were still massive "dig for Britain" vegetable plots.

What ever happened to Empire Day? When we all proudly marched to school with the biggest union jacks we could carry.

Playing on decommissioned military vehicles, just parked in the street unguarded.

Policemen on bicycles. Duty arm bands.

In the 60's, that horrible sound - the police car bell behind you. It only had to ting, and you froze!

Cars with drum brakes that faded until nothing - just aim for something soft and cheap.

Inner tubes, and tyres with more canvas than tread.

A man at the garage who would come out and put the petrol in your car for you. (How civil)

All gone, and nearly to be forgotten.

Former Member05/02/2016 06:28:10
3577 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

cymaz05/02/2016 06:28:48
9182 forum posts
1181 photos

This is how to do nostalgia devil

kc05/02/2016 12:16:48
6417 forum posts
173 photos

Bob, I still have the issues of Practical Mechanics with the Luton Minor articles. The 1950/60s ones not the pre-war series, unfortunately one is missing. I did provide a copy to Peter Russel's Straight & Level column for him to send to a full size builder.
Practical Mechanics covered everything such as making your own electric fire, making a lathe, tape recorder, caravan, trailer, photographic timer, model locomotive, in fact anything. Remember the little pencil sketches of some village scene with a bike in the Cyclist section?

Practical Mechanic together with Practical Wireless, Practical Motorist and Practical Householder inspired a generation with the idea that one could make or fix anything oneself.   F.J. Camm brother of Sydney Camm was the man behind all this.    A little bit of knowledge and basic tools lead to an attitude of "we can do it" amongst ordinary people. I believe that is what really created the Affluent Society It's the attitude of mind. The practical man seems to have died out now with the current generation of younger people. Everyone now thinks they have to " get a little man in to do it" and they look down on the person who does anything themself.

Edited By kc on 05/02/2016 12:18:52

GONZO05/02/2016 12:37:43
1354 forum posts
14 photos

Talking of newspaper cartoons, does anyone remember 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred'? IIRC one was a penguin. Would have been somewhere around 1951/2.

Cuban805/02/2016 13:23:15
2904 forum posts
1 photos

Public information films shown just before BBC TV closed down for the night - "wear something white at night" and the Mr Blunders films on road safety are a couple that I recall.

Being reminded by the announcer "don't forget to turn your set off" if you waited for a minutes or so after he'd said good night. A little later they'd broadcast a loud tone presumably to wake you up and switch off!

Anyone remember the 'Colour Receiver Installation Film' shown by the BBC in the mornings during the late 60s? Narrated by Michael Aspel it was mainly aimed at the trade - as a kid with a love of technical stuff I found it fascinating as we still only had a black and white 405 telly then and the notion of colour images on a TV was almost like magic to me. I wrote to the BBC about a technical point (I was about ten or eleven at the time) concerning colour TV and their engineering department very kindly sent me a whole load of pamphlets and documents free of charge. No Wikepedia back then of course and I remain grateful to the person at the Beeb who took the trouble to bother with a kid's letter.yes

When I was older and started work, I went on to do a C&G in radio and TV repair although I never entered the industry.

Colin Leighfield05/02/2016 14:24:34
5993 forum posts
2503 photos

Practical Mechanics! Thanks for reminding me chaps, I'd forgotten about it. What a great magazine and I remember the Luton Minor build.

Gonzo, Pip, Squeak and Wlfred were I am sure in the Daily Mirror, early fifties, there was a penguin but I can't remember which was which. Also there was a cartoon strip called I think "Just Jake", about some bounder called "Reilly-Foul" who was always saying "strap me"! Alongside that there was Jane, very sensual and my favourite, Garth, a time-travelling super-hero who's best mate was the Frenchman Professor Lumiere.

Cuban8, I recall most of that. Who remembers Humphrey Lestoq, Hank with Mexican Pete and the Bandits, Billy Bean and his Funny Machine. (He built it out of sticks and stones, nuts and bolts and glue. I can still sing it)!

Another one I loved but no one else seems to remember was Sergeant Renfrew of the Mounties. Please someone else tell me that I'm either the only one who does recall it, or else it's dementia!

Stuart C05/02/2016 15:43:16
128 forum posts
4 photos

Humphrey Lestoq (Lestock?) Program called Wirlygig with Mr. Turnip. Also featured Peter Butterworth. Was Michael Bentine and the Bumblies part of the show? Sergeant Renfew of the Mounties has got me, but there was a character of similar (or the same name) published in the Eagle.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!