All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Android08/02/2016 17:30:49
61 forum posts
2 photos

Unable to post links.

But still worth a mention .

A truly Worthwhile Organisation

Respect.http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/hrh-launches-air-cadets-75th-anniversary-07022016

Edited By Peter Android on 08/02/2016 17:39:50

cymaz08/02/2016 17:35:21
9034 forum posts
1189 photos

THIS ....may help yes

Peter Android08/02/2016 17:50:20
61 forum posts
2 photos

Thank You. cymaz.

Terry Walters08/02/2016 18:29:33
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Oh to have my ATC days all over again!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator08/02/2016 18:53:55
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well, as an ex member of 90 Squadron ATC I wish them many more years!

BEB

Stuphedd08/02/2016 18:57:04
687 forum posts
361 photos

Too True !!

I was a "member" in the late 50s and managed to log up 137 flying hours , ended up "flying " Vampires , When you had time to spare , on with your uniform down to the nearest RAF field , into the mess and put your name on the board and just wait for an invite to go flying , I dont remember ever not getting one , and in the holidays you could live at the field .

Mind you could draw a short straw and get a whole night tour in a Shack out of Kinloss , just noise and darkness and the only break was doing the 180 at the end of a sweep .

only regret is I never qualified as a pilot as they tested my eyes !!!

I often wonder if all the tax I payed over my working years payed for all the fuel and airframe life I used in those days wink

Colin Leighfield08/02/2016 19:23:47
5982 forum posts
2501 photos

I stupidly left the ATC when I was 17 after being made up to Corporal because of female distraction. Regretted it ever since. I had a wonderful time.

Max5008/02/2016 20:29:29
178 forum posts
8 photos

Wrexham 2279 for me. Flight Sergeant and then instructor. Those were the days. Battling it out with Hawarden in the Drill competitions; Singing those unmentionable songs,in the back of the bus on the way home from Shawbury.

Brings back memories.

Use to call me Noddy, as I was always falling asleep in the pub. And why was it the barman always used to ask me was I over eighteen, when I was the only one there who was. Great days.

FastFlyer Smyth08/02/2016 20:38:09
309 forum posts
12 photos

Proud member of 301 Squadron Bury St Edmunds. Loved it. The civil instructor was a neighbour of mine so I used to get a few perks ! Loved the chippies and the gliding and shooting at the local brewery rifle range on a Wednesday evening.

Dave Hopkin08/02/2016 20:53:24
3672 forum posts
294 photos

491 Sqd (Handsworth Wood) now sadly gone

Fun days... Gliding at Gaydon, Camps at Chivenor, Lossiemouth, Coltishall, shooting at Stafford, Weekend in Snowdonia.....

Colin Leighfield08/02/2016 22:03:15
5982 forum posts
2501 photos

Mine was 425 (Aldridge) Squadron, but I was in "B" Flight, based in Great Barr. 425 still exists, but only in Aldridge.

Gazza5808/02/2016 22:39:21
125 forum posts
1 photos

1147 Barking Sqn, part of West Essex Wing. I joined at 13 and left as F!t Lt. Fabulous organization.

Took me to Germany, Malta, Cyprus, Canada as well as all over the UK.

Flying Chippies at Marshal's, gliding at Swanton Morley, 303 at Purfleet. Every weekend kept me busy.

I just wish I was able to thank all those wonderful gentlemen who steered so many of us in the right direction.

My gliding instructor when i was 16, was an elderly chap of around 24 years of age. When my son came home from his gliding course, he told me about his ancient instructor, a certain Sqn Ldr Horsley. Yup same man.

Thank you gentlemen

Gary

Andrew Price 209/02/2016 00:35:54
815 forum posts

Well Colin. I guess we both fell for the female form at the same time of our lives and with the same disastrous consiquences. I left 220 Sqd, St Albans, at just about the time i was getting close to being offered flying/cliding tuition. What idiots we were. sad

ASH.09/02/2016 01:35:22
334 forum posts

I loved my time in the ATC, they were memorable days and I remember them fondly.

I was so keen to join I went along twice a week for months before I was old enough for my uniform. I learnt how to 'spit & polish' so my boot toecaps were like glass and used soap in my uniform creases to make them razor sharp. Learnt how to shoot, march and drill, read map and play snare drum. Proper littIe action men we were. I even persuaded my father to get me an air rifle for my thirteenth so we could practise for father and son comp.. he was a lousy shotsmiley

Flew in many different aircraft from Puma,Wessex and open canopy gliders, my favourite being the Chipmunk of course. I remember cold Sunday mornings at Cambridge, clambering onto the Chippie wing with propdraft in face and parachute hanging down behind. And flying over the local flower gardens upside down to get a better look.

Those were the days.

Edited By ASH. on 09/02/2016 01:37:00

onetenor09/02/2016 01:50:13
1901 forum posts

I was in the CCF at school RAF section so got the same sort of things our ATC pals did. Gliding at Sealand Chippies at Woodvale. Also r with Meteor I left that school and did not join the atc as I was in the BB and was busy ever ynight doing a lot of activities.When i moved to Neston i became a civvie instructor with 2375 Sqdn Neston The CO was Jim Bailey Flying officer I think. He also owned the Model shop so I had the rub of his workshop and stock. Yes I did pay for the stuff I used but at a huge discount as I often built and repaired aircraft for him and his customers

However I changed jobs and did shift work that cut down the hours I could have given to tdsqadrdron Jim was POW after being shot down over Belgium But I never found out what he flew. After his release from Colditz he found that he had had TB but recovered untreated I lost touch with him and was shocked to hear of his death.a year or two later It was good fun while it lasted

Gordon Nicol09/02/2016 09:42:48
81 forum posts

I was in St Andrews Sqn ( can't remember the sqn number because it was so long ago) tried to join the RAF as an airframes fitter, but was a bit too thick for that . was offered an apprenticeship in the army as airframes fitter , but after the first twelve weeks of training decided I wanted to be a tank mechanic instead. Spent the next 25 years up to my A~~e in mud and water and sand and snow fixing big heavy things that went bang, instead of lounging around in a nice heated aircraft workshop.... would I change anything, , not likely.. have enjoyed most of my working life, still work for the army , but retiring in July, time for some serious flying then

back to the ATC Did my first glider flights at RNAS Condor, in a T31 and T21 Sedberg when I joined the army, was a member of the army gliding club as it was then   solo'd in a graunau, and eventually got a C cert then I discovered beer and women, the downfall of so many young men..... years later wife bought me a flight in a sailplane at Portmoak , a Blanik  hadn't forgotten much. Conversation after landing went like this " whats the big idea landing so far up the field ? ... Pilot " don't blame me , he landed it!" it was great, but a dicky ticker stops me from gettiong back into gliding

Edited By Gordon Nicol on 09/02/2016 10:01:44

Terry Walters09/02/2016 10:22:00
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Just to bring some more nostalgia to the blog - some pics from my days as a 5F cadet as a staff cadet at 644GS at RAF Spitalgate in the late 60's! Out of school 4pm on a Friday, 5pm with my mate Rick hitchhiking from Northampton to Grantham. Draw bedding at the Guardroom and there until after tea on Sunday - lift home with the instructors. First thing Monday morning do school homework!! LOL!

dsc00443 - copy_resize.jpg

Look at this poser! Real Polaroids too! Flying suits from Silvermans Surplus!

dsc00446 - copy_resize.jpg

Not only did we drive the winches but the Land Rovers and the 3 tonners! The other kids at school never believed what we told them we had been doing.dsc00445 - copy_resize.jpg

Edited By Terry Walters on 09/02/2016 10:23:07

Bob Cotsford09/02/2016 10:29:10
8258 forum posts
454 photos

I was in 492 Shirley (no jokes please) squadron, we used Gaydon and Cosford for gliding, Shawbury for Chippie flights and the .303 range. Happy days. Hullavington camp during Concord's early testing meant we could see it flying out of Fairford iirc.

Phil Brooks09/02/2016 10:41:28
464 forum posts
148 photos

1244 (Swindon) Squadron. We used to mount the guard of honour for A.O.C's parade at Salisbury every year. We even devised our own continuity drill routine. Being so close to RAF Lyneham (Hastings, Britannias and Comets), I seemed to spend a lot of the summer holidays airborne! If there was nothing flying we were often given free run of the Link trainer.

atc cdu at headlands, c1958 01.jpg

Edited By Phil Brooks on 09/02/2016 10:42:22

Eagle 89909/02/2016 10:54:25
186 forum posts
19 photos

1340 Rhyl Squadron; Great times gliding at Sealand, Chippies at Shawbury. Intended to join RAF but then decided on the Fleet Air Arm! We had several flat tops in those days smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us