Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

A new series for the beginner

A new series for the beginner

coming soon! - 23/11/12

Jon21/02/2008 12:46:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Hi After being helped by this forum to get started flying and also to get a flight simulator set up and working  the bug has really bitten...its now time to get a that A licence.

I am about to order the Seagull E-Pioneer Trainer  (see RCM&E Mar 08 page 118) plus a whole load of other goodies from BRC Hobbies. The whole lot is going to cost over £400.00 so I don’t want to buy the wrong plane or motors, batteries & chargers etc that are not future proof.

My club instructor fly's only I/C models him self and has said that he cant get on with electric...ok... so I'm looking to hook up with others like me and may be a mentor or two to guide me/us along this tricky electric path!.

BRC Hobbies have already both advised (they were extremely helpful) and quoted me for the plane and all the other bits I would need to get it in the air and so that I will be able to do a few of the tricks that I can already do on the Phoenix Simulator plus to be somewhat future proof. 

Are you in a similar situation ? if so lets get in touch and help/talk each other all the way along the electric high wire! or are you able to be a mentor to any of us on this thread...

Thank you John

Jon22/02/2008 08:19:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

eh! I have been searching this Forum for any mention of the Seagull E-Pioneer and have drawn a blank!

Am I the first nutter to try this kite?  or should I get cold feet about it ?....come on - somebody must have had one before me....your making me very nervous about parting with my total worth !

I'm getting very sheeppish about the whole idea....

David Ashby - Moderator22/02/2008 08:27:00
11058 forum posts
1740 photos
619 articles

The model hasn't been out long Jon and we got our review completed propmptly so most buyers may still be building theirs. Andy Ellison liked the model a lot and Seagull are a respected brand so you'll be fine - I've always been pretty impressed with anything from Seagull that I've seen. 

The motor we used is very powerful so don't be afraid to use a smaller unit in the nose - BRC can advise. Get at least two battery packs so you don't have to wait while you re-charge. Go for it

Jon22/02/2008 08:34:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Thanks for the reply

Any comments about my shopping list 

2820-7 Motor and ESC: [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=338[/u]

Prop: [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=269[/u]

[u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=268[/u]

Lipo cells Evo 2500 4S x 2off: [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=674[/u]

Charger BC-6 [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=566[/u]

Servos x 3 (not fitting one on the nose wheel [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=102[/u]

Servo for elevator x 1  [u]http://www.brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=27[/u]

David Ashby - Moderator22/02/2008 08:39:00
11058 forum posts
1740 photos
619 articles

No Jon, looks good

Don't forget some extension leads!  

Jon22/02/2008 08:42:00
359 forum posts
67 photos
Thanks... yes the list includes many other bits and bobs too....Thank you David
Chris Salomon22/02/2008 13:56:00
157 forum posts
2 photos

One thing I would say, the APc props, although very good, are a little brittle.  Not such a problem with an u/c equipped plane such as this but can be frustrating.  Master Airscrew Electric are almost as good but not brittle.

Chris Salomon22/02/2008 13:59:00
157 forum posts
2 photos

Also, see if Timbo has sold his Imax charger yet, it would do the job nicely.

Hang on a minute, this is the 8th post on an electric flight related thead and Timbo is nowhere to be seen...........................must be sick!

David Ashby - Moderator22/02/2008 14:01:00
11058 forum posts
1740 photos
619 articles
Yes where is the old leccy guru
Jon22/02/2008 14:19:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

OOPs   did I post this thread in the wrong place... I was only trying to find other beginers to buddy up with

Timbo...if you want to move this complete post to a different place, do please feel free....sorry  

Timbo...Seems we could be of mutal benifit to each other...please send me a PM if this is so...Tnxs

Chris..... I will look into the brital Prop thing...thanks...ps what do you mean by "u/c"?

Thanks for all the comments guys

David Ashby - Moderator22/02/2008 14:20:00
11058 forum posts
1740 photos
619 articles
No you're fine Jon
Chris Salomon22/02/2008 15:19:00
157 forum posts
2 photos
Undercarriage Jon, the brittle thing is only really a problem with handlaunched planes.
Jon22/02/2008 15:34:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Ok.. get it now...landing without wheels!...made myself feel like a real newbie now...

I have sent Timbo a PM but no reply as yet.....He's maybe busy flying even!

So do I buy or what...I'll just wait for his reply....first....then I'll take the plung....oh yes... I'll need some shade's too...just to look the part you understand

Tim Mackey22/02/2008 15:47:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Hello guys...been busy painting and decorating and DIY stuff - wifey has her daughter coming tonight for the weekend

I have responded to your PM Jon - and for what its worth...I think the BC6 is way overpriced. Just my opinion of course  

Jon22/02/2008 15:52:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Timbo...thanks for your promt reply, have read the PM....

Am I correct in saying the BC6 can charge from 240v or 12v (using a step up system to charge a 14v battery).....can the IMax....?

do you know what other beifits has either over either?

Jon

Tim Mackey22/02/2008 16:14:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

The BC6 is dual voltage input yes ( mains or 12v) and the IMAX is only 12Vinput. The Imax can however charge as many cells as the BC6 using power inverters inside the machine. The only real difference is its ability to run from 12V only and not direct from mains. Having said that £60 difference in price is a HECK of a lot for a mains facility !

Power supplys are cheaply available ( even free if you know where to look ) which will happily run the Imax.

Of course, many people simply hook it up to an old car battery or similar. Simple .

Other benefits...yeh the IMAX is excellent value for money ( even brand new ) ...whereas the BC6.......hmm

Jon22/02/2008 16:40:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Ok...Timbo .... all points taken onboard..what would this forum do without you....Hey! no comments from the rest of you please!

Thanks Timbo....

Bill Thompson22/02/2008 23:40:00
21 forum posts
2 photos
 I have an E-pioneer and is was no problem to build. Just a few pointers I found though. Centre of gravity was difficult to match as per instructions remembering that a nose heavy model is much better to have than an almost fatal tail heavy one. This was also with a second rx battery fitted in the front as I used all five servos and was therefore drawing 2 or more amps. Apparently ESCs can be tempermental with this current draw, as the battery runs down, and your plane could fly off because your servos are not able to respond correctly because of a lack of power.I used the shorter motor support which looked correct visually.However the longer one would have given a greater distance to the fulcrum and therefore,hopefully, it could have been easier to balance the plane if weight was a problem. The wheel servo rod needs to run down the middle of the body. This avoids mixing if connecting to the rudder servo with a Y cable. A nice little bending exercise for you as a beginner. You also need to drill out the firewall hole to match movement. A great little plane .Enjoy.
Jon23/02/2008 08:35:00
359 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Bill

Oh dear, and there I was beginning to think I was at last going to be famous for something in my life having been the first to build the E-Pioneer  Thank you for responding to my post.

I rightly or wrongly took advice from one of the helpful Gary's at BRC re a second battery for the RX & Servos. He seems to think that the chosen motor /ESC/ battery set up as I have listed above would not be a problem. I understand many of the calc's etc but I suppose until I understand all of them it I'll just have to trust the guidance of others. I am a Radio Ham in my other life so have a fair understanding of these things but it still seems a bit of a black art to me at the moment.

So what are your motor/battery/ESC etc ratings...apart from the extra battery do they differ much from mine?

As yet I have not yet purchased the plane so have little idea as to the detailed layout and thus was not able to fully understand your comments about the wheel servo rod, Y cable, I assume  your talking about the nose wheel ? Sounds like its mounted  in the way of things a bit, stopping you from adjusting the CofG maybe. At the moment I do not intend to steer the wheel, once I'm sure of landing  the plane I'll maybe install a servo for it then.

Thanks for the tip about the motor support, will the kit contain a choice of support or did that come with your motor....

Regards Jon

Ps I'm on Hayling Is near Portsmouth...where are you?

Bill Thompson23/02/2008 22:55:00
21 forum posts
2 photos

Hi John

I am no expert but learning fast like yourself but hear are a few more remarks.I too purchased my plane from BRC but asked about using a secondary battery for the RX as I like a switch in line in the RX power souce and not to become live when the main lipo source is connected. This started the conversation about the five servos on the ESC and battery elimanation circuits.This I feel is very important as all the main connections are on the underside at the front. Turning over a live plane is not my idea of safety if I caught the TX or somebody else switchs on using the same channel. Please everybody else it may sound a bit over the top but I love my fingers and I prefer to switch on with my plane firmly on the ground sat on its undercarrige as it has a big prop and powerful motor. Electric motors can start in an instant not like IC which has to be wound up. Some ESCs have switchs built in but my was not suppied with one and it was not a problem to overcome.Small planes are easier to handled without a switch but this model is almost the same size as the its IC predecessor the Araising Star. As for the servo for the front wheel a lot will depend on wether you are using a hard surface strip or grass. If you use grass you may find it advantageous to have one from the start as its more difficult to move around on it. I will look at your shopping list in more detail but it looks very similar to mine.

All the best Bill 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!