By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Going to Poundland tomorrow anything i should snap up?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Oblengo10/02/2016 19:22:22
7 forum posts

I am a beginner who loves tinkering this hobby is perfect for me. After Uni i will pop into town and go to poundland is there anything i can get on the cheap that will be useful for a new foam build?

Thanks.

M

Frank Skilbeck10/02/2016 22:23:30
4500 forum posts
101 photos

Not sure but I think Poundland do UHU POR glue which is good for foam. Also see if they do some modelling knives.

Geoff Sleath10/02/2016 22:35:52
3451 forum posts
307 photos

Poundland do sell UHU but it's not UHU POR ( at least in our local one) so not suitable for foam. I use a lot of Poundland Cyano, which seems to be OK, and some 5 minute epoxy but not in really critical areas.

Most PL tools are rubbish in my experience and not worth even the £1. Their tiewraps are useful.

The best buy in Poundland for me recently was a 3 watt LED bulb with a 230v bayonet connection. They've since disappeared but it was perfect for a dark passage in our house where we leave a light on all the time when it's dark outside. Not model related, of course but ...

Geoff

PatMc10/02/2016 22:53:59
4223 forum posts
521 photos

Do they charge 5p for bags or are they a pound like everything else ? teeth 2

Robin Colbourne10/02/2016 23:18:23
435 forum posts
6 photos

Bombay Mix. I bought five bags there on Monday as I couldn't find it anywhere else! laugh

When I went in a couple of weeks ago they had 20g bottles of cyano complete with a bottle of accelerator. Put it in the fridge if you're not using it, and test it on foam as its probably not foam safe.

10 metres of rolls of brown wrapping paper ideal for reinforcing skins on foam models too.

Lidl have a lot of good stuff for modellers at the moment. Two boxes of tools to fit Dremels for £4. Also some plastic clear plastic film 'wrapping paper' for £1 a roll. One is completely clear, the other has ladybirds on it! I'm going to give it a go as a covering for open structures.

Gary Manuel11/02/2016 00:00:24
1959 forum posts
1514 photos

Clear nail varnish / nail strengthener.

Great for sealing the edges on covering film.

Mike Etheridge 111/02/2016 00:06:42
1535 forum posts
429 photos

Nothing to do with aeromodelling but within the last fortnight my wife's VW Golf had it's driver's mirror knocked off outside Dulwich Picture Gallery. I got the mirror replaced and then noticed after returning home via Avicraft in Bromley that someone had put two scrapes on the rear bumper. Later at 2 minutes past midnight my oldest son phoned to say that the Polo Ranger he borrows from us had been dented by someone. By coincidence I was made aware on Facebook that there is a video that shows you how to remove small dents from cars. You just heat the dented area with a hair dryer and then spray the area with a can of 'Air Duster'. They sell 'Air Duster' in Poundland so on Friday I am hoping to acquire some

Richard Edwards 111/02/2016 00:11:19
5 forum posts

I use the twin pack of the 20g cyano and accelerator and have done for a couple of years when it is available with no problems. The syringe 5 minute epoxy is not very good dries brittle and one squeeze and is finished. Hobbycraft sell a UHU solvent free which I bought last week(£3) and tried it on some scraps of foam of which the joints were as good as POR with no ill effect to the foam. One of the best thin cyanos (50g) I have found is from Toolstation and there light weight filler (400g) is very good, both just over £2

gliggsy11/02/2016 19:55:16
96 forum posts
4 photos

Not sure if this is where the 'tommy Walsh ' c a with activator but it bonds.depron fine......glyn

Richard Edwards 111/02/2016 20:10:05
5 forum posts

yes it is the Tommy Walsh brand, I have never tried it on depron. I also use their single pack blue masking tape which again is excellent.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us