2 forum posts

Hi all,this is my first post to this forum, I am a late arrival

to the RC airplane hobby at 52, after buying A max riot end

of last year I thought I would have a go at a balsa kit and went

for the sky 40 from Slec , which later I found out later was a build from

RCME , my question is this I have almost finished the kit , and took time

out to compare the wings, one looks straight ,but on viewing the other

wing edge on looking along the LE , I can see a bend in profile of the

wing , the kit is cnc cut so perhaps I took my eye off the progress of the build

no excuse I know , will the bend affect the flight of the model , its a bit late

to correct this bend as the wing is very nearly finished, any advice

welcome

regards Gary

Frank Skilbeck28/02/2016 16:54:15
4752 forum posts
104 photos

If the wing is twisted then yes, it will make the model want to turn, you may be able to trim it out but it won't fly as good. If the twist is to increase the wing incidence at the tip it could also make it tip stall. But is the twist is not too much then you can sometimes take it out by twisting the wing and re-shrinking the covering

john stones 128/02/2016 19:21:21
11597 forum posts
1517 photos

Unless it's severe don't worry about it too much Gary, get it out if possible, but before ARTF's came along bent wings where common place and most managed o.k

John

gary burford 128/02/2016 22:09:10
2 forum posts

Thanks for your reply,s , the wing is not so much twisted it is more of a

curve when viewed along the LE ,when I lay the wing on a flat surface

the curve peaks at about 6mm gap in the middle then curves down

with the wing tip pretty level ,the wing has not been covered yet,

but I do feel I will not be able to fix this ..

regards gary

Keith Evans 301/03/2016 19:31:14
396 forum posts
148 photos

A couple of suggestions .

First have you joined both wing halves together ,if not could you jig up the non offending wing half to mirror the one that is out ?

Have you tried to support the offending wing half at the tips leaving the bowed part un supported and placing a heavy weight on the max . bow position. Over bow it to allow for creep back and leave it for a couple of days and see what happens.

You may need to consider sheeting in or bracing some of the open wing bays to hold it in this position .

Best of luck.

P.S. are you sure you have not just sanded in the bow ,then could you possibly sand it out .

IAN Winn10/07/2020 14:05:37
1 forum posts

Sky 40 Trainer

Can anyone please supply me with a copy or photo of the plan or build instructions for this trainer as I have a kit that came without plans.

Any help appreciated - please PM me. 

Thanks

Ian

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 10/07/2020 15:50:01

Denis Watkins10/07/2020 17:52:38
4544 forum posts
123 photos

Sarik have the plan here Ian

**LINK**

kc10/07/2020 18:05:34
6587 forum posts
173 photos

There is a copy of the RCME with the article for this plan for sale at 2.50 here. It may have been a free plan with this issue and maybe the issue has the plan in it ( it doesnt say it is missing!) so would be a worthwhile way to get the article and possibly the plan. Worth a try!

Martin Harris10/07/2020 20:39:03
9411 forum posts
256 photos

I shouldn't get too worried about a small twist. A friend built a DH71 and managed to build in a sustantial twist on one wing. This was particularly odd as the kit incorporated a jig to ensure a true wing build!

After discussing options, we decided to suck it and see and I test flew it for him, starting with a reasonable amount of contra-twist aileron deflection, ran out of trim, offset them even further and flew it again to trim it.

Thereafter, it flew perfectly well with the best part of 30 degrees of deflection at "neutral".

P.S.  Just noticed that the twist question dates back a few years but the info might help someone...

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/07/2020 20:41:04

Piers Bowlan10/07/2020 21:20:04
2167 forum posts
53 photos

Gary, welcome to the forum. If one wing is just a bit bowed rather than twisted I think it will have no effect whatsoever on how it flies. If you put the bowed wing on a flat surface, by how much is the middle or ends (depending which way it is bowed) sitting proud of the surface? If more than a few mm you could rest the tips of the offending wing on a couple of piles of books and then load the middle with more books to reverse the bow and leave overnight. Trouble is, this is a bit hit or miss and you may find it either doesn't work or you find the wing is now bowed in the opposite direction! crook

Probably best just to cover it and then get it flying. Enjoy smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!