Forum sponsored by CML

Sig Demoiselle, a question for owners please

Do the wings come off?!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Pearce 407/03/2016 15:26:53
312 forum posts
37 photos

Can any owners of this model please tell me if, once built, the wings are removable? It's a question of storage for me, if they don't then it won't fit in my place.

From all the pictures I have seen on the web, I suspect they don't. People seem to hang them in the roof space. So please advise, thanks.

Ian10107/03/2016 20:26:47
225 forum posts
323 photos

I have just bought one from SMC.

Not had chance to do anything with it yet, but if I have read the destructions properly, the wings are designed to be removable. With all of the rigging on, I think this may be a little difficult!!

http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC90Demoiselle.html

This link takes you to the build manual (hopefully).

If you want to wait a few months, I will be able to give you a definite answer.

Ian

David Pearce 408/03/2016 07:43:17
312 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Ian.

Looking at para 36 of the instructions I think you're correct. Although with the u/c struts and rigging all connecting up I suspect that disassembly isn't easy. Whether or not they do come off I think it's just too bulky for my current storage. A pity as it's a lovely aeroplane.

Good luck with yours and thanks again.

Martyn Johnston08/03/2016 08:15:47
811 forum posts
249 photos

As an owner; yes they are removable.

Each wing is simply a push fit into the little aluminium tubes on the fuselage; really easy.

Rigging takes less than a minute.

Size for storage really isn't an issue, but bare in mind that it is delicate; if there's any chance that you might break the 1/8" square fuselage struts then you probably will. I put some 1/64" ply supports on some of my struts after the first flight.

Frank Niess08/03/2016 08:25:03
3 forum posts
9 photos

Hi David,

while surfing the net, I stumbled accidentally over your post. I had the SIG Demoiselle twice during the past years and I can assure you that, even with full rigging, the wings are easy to remove for storage. Due to my limited space at home had to do this every time I flew her. By the way, they are also to put on easy. The rigging is made up of elastic thread with either loops (top of wing), or hooks, bent of thin wire (u/c). The rigging remains on the wing panels and will be connected to the fuselage. I have to find out how to insert photos, then I can Show you some shots of my Demoiselle in total and close-up.

Frank

Frank Niess08/03/2016 08:34:56
3 forum posts
9 photos

P.S.: I created an album now where you will find some shots of my Demoiselle.

Frank

David Pearce 408/03/2016 09:28:31
312 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Martin, that's good news. It obviously needs a safer storage space than normal, not just leant up against another airframe, but that's ok.

It's an aeroplane I always wanted so I'm pleased it's practical. Thanks again.

Martyn Johnston08/03/2016 09:40:48
811 forum posts
249 photos

And don't even think about flying it if there's any wind.

It flies like an empty paper bag.

Hilarious for those watching, but not much fun.

David Pearce 408/03/2016 10:01:03
312 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Martin. I've read your build blog and others. I love the plane but I'm not yet convinced it's realistic for my build skills. Also, as you say, it needs the balmy sunny evenings where there's no wind and we just don't get those very often nowadays! Or a big indoor space and that's not for me.

Cheers

Martyn Johnston08/03/2016 10:18:48
811 forum posts
249 photos

It's not a difficult build at all, just rather delicate. It's really quite a fun plane to build.

And it gets lots of attention at the field.

David Pearce 408/03/2016 10:41:23
312 forum posts
37 photos

Martin, you are persuading me! I am tempted. I just need to clear the decks of the other projects (as always).

David Pearce 408/03/2016 16:19:53
312 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Frank Niess on 08/03/2016 08:34:56:

P.S.: I created an album now where you will find some shots of my Demoiselle.

Frank

Frank.

Thank you, that's very helpful. You've made a lovely job of your Demoiselle. I see you've covered the bottom of the wing, not left open as in the instructions. It looks better that way but can't be easy with that camber.

Thanks again.

David

Frank Niess08/03/2016 18:05:07
3 forum posts
9 photos

You're welcome wink I covered the bottom of the wings for two reasons: I didn't like the open structure and wanted to imitate the motors cooling system and I do not have the opportunity to fly indoors, so the extra weight was not an issue. Of course covering the bottom was a bit tricky, but it was manageable.

Frank

Ian10108/03/2016 20:06:50
225 forum posts
323 photos

Martyn & Frank, 2 very nice planes.

I have only built with depron, so will be something completely new for me. The fact that it looks unusual is the appeal.

I ordered from SMC. They told me they had no stock and the importer was waiting for a new batch to be made. It may take upto 6 weeks if I was prepared to wait. I said I would willingly wait, so when it arrived 5 days later I was well chuffed. Not sure where they got it from but well done SMC.

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us