By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

A request to the Forum Web Administrator

Could you get links to automatically open in a new tab?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Colbourne10/03/2016 22:04:39
469 forum posts
6 photos

On other forums I've used, when opening a link, it automatically does so in a new tab or new window. On Model Flying.co.uk, links open in the existing tab, losing the relevant thread into the history (Grrr...), so I have to use the back arrow to return to it. If I were to remember, I could right click and use 'open in a new tab', but it would be better if it did this automatically. Is there any possibility of changing the setting?

Thanks, Robin

Pete B - Moderator10/03/2016 22:15:27
7614 forum posts
732 photos

To be honest, Robin, I've trained my right middle finger to to right-click automatically over the years....smile

There is a way for posters to set the link to open in a new window and that is, when the linking screen is open, to select the 'Target' tab at the top and choose the 'New Window' option.

I will pass on your request to see if it's possible but don't hold your breath......

Pete

WolstonFlyer10/03/2016 23:08:45
2104 forum posts
189 photos

It is actually really bad practice (as far as web design goes) to force all links to open a new tab/window.

The user of the web page should decide how the link will open and if they want it in a new window or not, it can also cause accessibility issues for people that rely on software such as screen readers, they can quickly become lost in a sea of open tabs and windows. It is much better to rely on the natural 'browsing' pattern of links opening in the same window and use that back button, or right click and open a new window if you choose to.

John Privett10/03/2016 23:10:02
6015 forum posts
239 photos

I'm sure this has been asked for before, and I thought it was going to be implemented, though it seems not to have been so perhaps I was dreaming!

I totally agree with Robin's request. I normally forget to right-click to open - mainly because in most other places it isn't necessary. And when posting links I nearly always forget to click the Target tab and select New Window (_blank.) It really shouldn't take much much development effort to have the target drop-down default to _blank rather than not set.

John Privett10/03/2016 23:14:20
6015 forum posts
239 photos
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 10/03/2016 23:08:45:

It is actually really bad practice (as far as web design goes) to force all links to open a new tab/window.

In general I'd agree. But on forums with links to 'off-site' content it is quite usual for off-site links to open in a new tab/window.

WolstonFlyer10/03/2016 23:23:39
2104 forum posts
189 photos

It is much better for the user to have the choice how to open the link rather than the link forcing it. I am using an Android tablet right now and it would drive me crazy if every link opened a new tab.

Pete B - Moderator11/03/2016 00:33:04
7614 forum posts
732 photos

A fine example of the conundrum of pleasing some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time - perhaps we should make it the subject of the next poll?......teeth 2

I'll get a view from the techies again - if they're still on speaking terms with me....smile

Pete

ps - I suspect 'the techies',impressive description that it is, is in reality one very hard-pressed young lady who has the IT of several forums and a publishing house to look after... so don't expect an immediate solution, folks!

John F11/03/2016 08:02:39
1318 forum posts
51 photos

It isn't really in the best interest of the website to force a new tab every time you click a link. By the time you've seen a couple of new posts you've got ten tabs open.

It might work for one or two forums but most websites don't do this.

As others have said this would get very annoying over time. The best bet is to leave it down to the user to decide how to interact with a website.

You can either right click and open a new tab or, if you have a mouse wheel, click the centre mouse wheel which automatically opens a new tab.

Kevin Wilson11/03/2016 08:07:11
386 forum posts
13 photos

Doesnt everyone use ctr + click to open links?

Almost happens without thinking here. In fact it is very handy when going thought ebay, banggood or similar.

Ctrl+click all the interesting listings and close the tabs down as I finish with them.

Essjay11/03/2016 10:50:09
578 forum posts
1 photos

It's easy if you're using an ipad, you just hold your finger on the link and it asks if you want to open it in a new window/tab. smiley

Edited By Essjay on 11/03/2016 10:50:40

WolstonFlyer11/03/2016 11:21:02
2104 forum posts
189 photos

Same on Android, hold your finger down on the link and 'Open in new Tab' , it is much better to have the choice than every link opening a new tab by default.

iqon11/03/2016 11:49:52
1470 forum posts
239 photos

If it`s possible, it`s a good idea.......smiley

Essjay11/03/2016 11:53:01
578 forum posts
1 photos

Switching to a new tab or window can be much more useful when you need to go back and forth between the two, for instance copying stuff from one to the other.

Ian Jones12/03/2016 02:13:44
3219 forum posts
1397 photos

Chances are that if you are using a wheel mouse that you can just click the wheel on a link and it will open in a new tab.

gillyg123/08/2017 21:42:29
121 forum posts
19 photos

admin please disregard my submitted photo of a bell crank assy for my avatar, upppps trying to upload photos in the wrong place, sorry Graham

Gary Manuel23/08/2017 21:51:45
2058 forum posts
1515 photos
Posted by Ian Jones on 12/03/2016 02:13:44:

Chances are that if you are using a wheel mouse that you can just click the wheel on a link and it will open in a new tab.

Never knew that - it works. I'll use that in future. Easier than right clicking and selecting Open In New Tab as I've been doing for years.

Peter Jenkins23/08/2017 23:55:25
1329 forum posts
132 photos

I have to say that I use the "Set Target" and open in new tab for all the links I put into my posts. It takes seconds to do and I find it much easier to go between the two tabs when checking on details.

Bob Cotsford24/08/2017 10:27:28
8146 forum posts
449 photos
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 23/08/2017 23:55:25:

I have to say that I use the "Set Target" and open in new tab for all the links I put into my posts. It takes seconds to do and I find it much easier to go between the two tabs when checking on details.

but it would be so much neater if 'new window' was the default as on EVERY other site I've ever visited.

Wilco Wingco30/04/2018 15:14:34
208 forum posts
3 photos

When are you going to fix the link from the front page to the May issue not the April issue of RCM&E????? angry

Pete B - Moderator30/04/2018 21:24:19
7614 forum posts
732 photos

I, and I'm sure the other mods, were unaware of this, WW. If it's been raised before, then apologies for missing this glitch. Now I know about it, I'll let Beth Ashby know and I'm sure she will sort it ASAP......smile

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us