Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Super Models II on Discovery Shed TV

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hogster16/03/2016 17:30:48
506 forum posts
48 photos

I recently discovered this program a few weeks ago and set my recorder to record the series.

Initially the main theme of the program was the building of model of a C130. Which I was thoroughly enjoying. I was under the impression that the build would be followed until completion.

However, somewhere along the series this changed to a large model warship.

Has anyone else seen this series? Did I miss something? I was looking forward to seeing the C130's maiden flight. Did it actually happen?

ChrisB16/03/2016 18:24:32
1220 forum posts
34 photos

It was on TV originally about 2002 and did the boat and then the C17 Globemaster about 2 or 3 years later, subsequently owned and flown at shows by Ali jnr. The odd programme has been on Discovery several times over the years.

At Cosford a few years back they filmed at the LMA show but the episode never appeared.

Hogster16/03/2016 19:38:53
506 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by ChrisB on 16/03/2016 18:24:32:

It was on TV originally about 2002 and did the boat and then the C17 Globemaster about 2 or 3 years later, subsequently owned and flown at shows by Ali jnr. The odd programme has been on Discovery several times over the years.

At Cosford a few years back they filmed at the LMA show but the episode never appeared.

Ah yes a C17 not C130. So it did fly then, that's good to know. I'll keep the recording going and maybe they'll go back to it.

ChrisB16/03/2016 19:57:25
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Yes it flew at Wroughton in the last episode and that was the last we saw of it on TV.

Cuban816/03/2016 20:25:56
2863 forum posts
1 photos

There should be fourteen Supermodels II programmes - in this re-run they've only shown twelve for some strange reason.

I like Mark Found and his quirky presenting style, there must be plenty of scope for similar Supermodels type programmes these days.

ChrisB16/03/2016 20:57:13
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Its about time there was another programme.

In the last 15 years or so I've seen, Model Magic, Model Mania, Supermodels and Supermodels 2 but its been a few years now.

Cuban816/03/2016 21:03:57
2863 forum posts
1 photos

On reflection, I suppose with so much (and often very well produced) modelling material on YouTube, the attraction of spending a lot of money making another niche market programme for a tiny audience on mainstream TV is not very high.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/03/2016 21:04:42

Robin Colbourne17/03/2016 11:01:26
495 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 16/03/2016 21:03:57:

On reflection, I suppose with so much (and often very well produced) modelling material on YouTube, the attraction of spending a lot of money making another niche market programme for a tiny audience on mainstream TV is not very high.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/03/2016 21:04:42

That approach is a bit chicken and egg. We are inundated with programmes about cooking obscure dishes that most of us would just go and buy at the supermarket if we really wanted them, and car shows featuring cars only really suitable for track days, so a series on models would be fair enough. The main reasons that they don't make these programmes is that they like to dumb everything down and its a lot cheaper to film in a kitchen than to go out on location where they are subject to the whims of British weather.

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Model World on BBC presented by Robert Symes Schutzmann in 1975? That was an excellent series in which they showed viewers how to build the free flight glider and a model frigate models in the accompanying book. ​Robert was a lovely chap and very approachable. He would chat to anyone who met him at the shows he attended. He came along to a model railway exhibition in our town, with a diesel electric loco he had built, powered by a Taplin Twin. As I recall, the model glider (Sky Rider?) was designed by Martin Dilly, who was a leading free flighter and SMAE representative at the time.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 17/03/2016 11:02:19

Cuban817/03/2016 12:34:00
2863 forum posts
1 photos

Tastes change and I doubt if the gentle style of Bob Symes would go down well at all today.

James May's modelling programmes weren't too bad though, bearing in mind that they had to cater to a wider audience than just modellers.

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/03/2016 12:36:43

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us