Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

can anyone help identify

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dave brett17/03/2016 19:58:04
1 forum posts

Hi

new member and was wondering if anyone could help identify this engine, it`s quite large. having a clearout of the workshops and found ton`s of bits

Just wondered what it is and what it`s worth, I think it was only run once and was found to not be powerful enough for the size of the aircraft, it has a 16 foot wingspan I believe

It has power master written on it and its about 7 inches high and 11 inches long

Any help would be great

simon barr18/03/2016 08:48:09
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Dave, and welcome.

I'm afraid that you won't get any help with this unless you can show us some pictures....

We are all pretty good on here, but not that good... laugh

Robin Colbourne18/03/2016 15:49:54
415 forum posts
4 photos

The size of it (11" long) suggests it might be a converted strimmer engine. Does it look a bit like this?:

​Back in the 1970s and 80s people were buying petrol strimmers and converting the engines for large models. Many were found not to be as powerful as had been hoped. More luck was had with chainsaw engines such as the Quadra, as they were designed for more power in their original application.

If you can't upload a photo, describe the layout of the engine, materials which bits are cast and which are machined, whether the name cast into the crankcase or on a separate label,etc. and it may jog a few memories. Nothing comes up on a Google search though, which is odd, given how many engine collectors have websites.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/03/2016 15:50:22

Percy Verance18/03/2016 20:09:44
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Looks a bit like a Quadra?  Popular with large model flyers back in the late 70's/early 80's. Not particularly powerful, nor is it worth a lot.

Never having had any special interest in very large models, I can't recall there being a structured LMA back then. But certainly there were large models being demonstrated at shows etc.

Edited By Percy Verance on 18/03/2016 20:24:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us