By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Build of the pre production kits from Warbird Replicas UK

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
leccyflyer21/10/2020 17:58:34
1673 forum posts
349 photos

Yes indeed - I confirm that I will definitely take a JU88 kit as soon as they become available.

maurice northcott21/10/2020 22:05:55
106 forum posts
63 photos

Great - the magic number achieved. I am looking forward to it please Richard - a real definite from me too.

Eric Robson21/10/2020 23:35:28
451 forum posts
95 photos

Hi All, today I managed to undercoat the wing. The motors are wired up and the control rods are in position just the flap servos to locate and connect up. I could fly it in primer but I will wait till the painting is done, as the weather is not good for the next few days I will be able to get on with it. dsc_0679[1064].jpg

maurice northcott22/10/2020 08:38:10
106 forum posts
63 photos

Great work Eric. Nice to see it edging closer to completion. smiley

Eric Robson23/10/2020 00:20:28
451 forum posts
95 photos

Thanks Maurice, I am well on now with the electrics ,undercarriage sorted , not sure what to do with the cowls as they were not radial engines but annular radiators on the model I'm building. I hope you don't have to long a wait for yours.

Cheers Eric.

martin collins 123/10/2020 14:10:27
475 forum posts
212 photos

What wingspan is the model, flying weight seems to pop up as 8-10Lbs on completed ones? Does the kit come with flaps or do you cut them from the wing if you want them?.............Martin

Eric Robson23/10/2020 17:40:12
451 forum posts
95 photos

Hi Martin, just measured mine it is 75" span, the kit comes with flaps as the wing is foam veneered the flaps and ailerons are ready cut with a with a fine trailing edge, the front and ends have to be capped with supplied balsa. The tail plane rudder fin and fuselage top and rear lower are also foam veneered so not a lot of balsa involved, which could be a good thing due to the present shortage. At this point mine weighs 7lb ,batteries weigh 1.6lb so I should keep it under 10lbs.

Cheers Eric.

martin collins 123/10/2020 19:07:20
475 forum posts
212 photos

Seriously considering adding my name to the list for a kit, great job on the P51 Richard but i prefer to build and fly something a bit out of the ordinary, i have a DH Dragon twin engine laser cut from a plan to build but currently nothing twin in my flyable hanger. Top of my list would be a Jap WW2 twin, something like a KI-48 Lily, lots of character and brilliant range of colour schemes. If there is now enough ``twin` interest any chance of looking at something like that in the future Richard?teeth 2 Jap planes are seriously under modeled and yet have the best range of colour schemes!

Sorry for the thread drift, can someone post me a link to the u/c and motors required for the JU88, i will look into it a bit, if i pull the trigger i won`t back out yes

RICHARD WILLS23/10/2020 20:18:34
655 forum posts
97 photos

Hello Martin. There are many problems in the world of model aircraft kit manufacture at the moment . The ARTF onslaught has left a handful of people running cottage industries . This year , we have all been in demand , but then the few kit cutters (including mine) quickly became overwhelmed and at the same time hardware like spinners , retracts and even wheels stopped coming in from china . Finally the Chinese have attempted to buy up the worlds balsa supplies . Based on all of that , it will not be a case of , what do I fancy , more a case of " can anyone make anything ?"

To get the 88s I will have to cajole my hard pressed kit cutter to squeeze me a slot . So in the meantime I am designing a bespoke undercarriage for the 88 , since no commercial versions really do the business , even if you can buy them .

I have the all metal HK versions in mine , which on paper looked great . But working for and aft , they didnt last very long as they are made of very poor metal . My design reproduced through our machine shop should be as tough and compact as you can get , With a replaceable electronics instead of throw away units .

Realistically , if I can get the batch of 88s out , anyone thinking of a twin will be a fool to miss out . Check out the work load and prices of other 72" twins . Oh and finally , compare the weights and consider how that will effect your chances of using it on regular basis .

Richard

RICHARD WILLS23/10/2020 20:21:34
655 forum posts
97 photos

BTW , Im not punting for 88 sales . I didnt expect the interest in Erics build and I will have to do some serious buttering up to get the kits cut . Having said that , I am glad that people have woken up to the design because Adrian Hayward and I must have done over three hundred flight between us and enjoyed them all . ju88 flying 2.jpg

martin collins 123/10/2020 20:31:15
475 forum posts
212 photos

Totally understand Richard, i have timed things badly as i have been into r/c flying for twenty odd years but have only started building my own stuff over the last year, till then i usually bought at bring and buys and refurbing/converting to electric. So it is frustrating that the discontinued kits i now want to build have now become hard to get and shot up in price. Stick me down for a JU88, i will tell the Mrs she can give me it for Xmas, i know you do great customer service and i like to support British companies at this time, i have built a couple of Cambrian kits over the last year and have bought a Cambria one which is in the pile to build. Any rough idea on what the retracts will come out at yet?

RICHARD WILLS23/10/2020 21:10:14
655 forum posts
97 photos

Don't know about price yet Martin , but they will not be silly money and also they will be sustainable with spares and transferable to other similar models . That makes them cheap in the long run .

For example , the HK cheap metal ones are £25 each so £50 a pair but I got through two sets in quick succession until I but a double coil spring in the legs to shock protect them . The reviews sadly show lots of board failures too .

Shame ,as neat design .

Eric Robson25/10/2020 09:56:41
451 forum posts
95 photos

Fuselage and wing painted top and bottom, I used rattle cans, the yellow is primer the underside is Ford Nordic blue which is almost an exact match, it is a 1970's colour so I was surprised to find it on the shelf at Halfords. They only had 2 in stock so I took both the second for my Me 110 which I am going to twist Richards arm for another batch, I think pigs will fly first as the first batch sales were poor , lots of interest but no commitment .However with the balsa disappearing we may see a resurge in foam veneered kits. dsc_0680[1069].jpg

Eric Robson25/10/2020 20:46:36
451 forum posts
95 photos

Managed to get some more paint on today, the green needs toning down, a little heavy with the rattle can in places. Still the cockpit area to attend to and the cowls.dsc_0683[1073].jpg

Ron Gray25/10/2020 21:43:52
2452 forum posts
992 photos

Blends in well with the wallpaper Eric, nice!

RICHARD WILLS25/10/2020 22:35:16
655 forum posts
97 photos

Well spotted Ron ....

That will be urban camouflage then ?

I like it so far Eric . I can imagine that in a screaming dive towards Valetta !

Eric Robson26/10/2020 17:27:01
451 forum posts
95 photos

Thanks Ron and Richard, spent a lot of time modifying the cowls ,I have taken the cooling gills off and extended the nacelle, need to paint it as yet. The paint on the cowl is out of the same can as the rest of the yellow, it actually is more of a sand colour than it appears. I think the spinners are too big and would look more at home on a Focke Wulf 190.dsc_0685[1076].jpg

RICHARD WILLS26/10/2020 17:42:44
655 forum posts
97 photos

Ahh right , Yes they look too big , nice though , How about building two Fw190s to fit the spinners ?

Ok , maybe not .

Right , well on my one I have used the FMs Zero spinner and the Dynam Fw190 spinners .

I have settled on the Dynam 190 and their 13x7 three blade prop . I reckon even though you have higher Kv motors than mine it will still be fine , Just dont rev it up too high when static . ju88flying 1.jpg

RICHARD WILLS26/10/2020 17:43:57
655 forum posts
97 photos

I can get  Radio 4 on those aerials , Ken Bruce comes through a treat ,

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 26/10/2020 17:44:28

Bruce Collinson26/10/2020 18:53:23
576 forum posts

They must be good if you can get Ken Bruce on R 4.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!