Forum sponsored by CML

Advice re choosing a Spektrum receiver

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JulianJ07/04/2016 15:36:37
53 forum posts
11 photos

Dear Sirs,

I'm having difficulty selecting a receiver for my new Foamie. As all my flying is outdoors, I thought the AS3X system may make the model more pleasurable to fly in windy conditions. The AR6335 looks like the obvious choice.

Will standard servo plugs connect straight into the AR6335 or are there adapters required?

Alternatively would it be preferable to go for a much cheaper AR400? Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards Julian

Masher07/04/2016 15:46:45
1109 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Julian

I'm sure you will get many views and opinions on this so I will state that the following points are just my opinions:

Yes the AR6335 has standard servo connectors and requires no adaptors. I have one in a Visionaire and it does ease flying in very windy conditions. However, programming the gains and directions is quite a faff and there is much room for user error.

I would not bother with AS3X myself and just go for a simple standard receiver. If you are considering the AR400, which is fine, I assume that this is not a particularly complex model so best keep it simple.

JulianJ07/04/2016 16:48:11
53 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Masher,

thank you for your opinion.

The model is an MC composite Ultimate 300 bi-plane

I have to admit, keeping it simple sounds like good advice. I didn't realise the AS3X had to be user programmed!

Kind regards

Julian

Masher07/04/2016 16:54:15
1109 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Julian

It may be that you can find a spektrum set-up for that model to download. This is available with the Visionaire and as it comes all fitted out, everything is in the right sense. You can probably find a Youtube showing the AR6335 set-up. It's a bit like setting an ESC - needs concentration or you loose your place in the process. In this case, you watch flashing coloured led's rather than listen to beeps!

Don Fry07/04/2016 16:55:25
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Just a thought, simple is good, but for a few grams more, the AR 600 will give a lot more future proofing in a receiver. You don't have to use the extra channels , but are there if a future model wants them.

John Lee07/04/2016 19:03:02
792 forum posts
93 photos
Posted by Masher on 07/04/2016 15:46:45:

Yes the AR6335 has standard servo connectors and requires no adaptors.

No it does not! The AR6335 has JST-ZHR connectors & would need adapters. It's really an indoor & small helicopter Rx and not really suitable. See this link for the full spec.

The Visionaire has a AR636 Rx which is far more suitable. This is full range & has conventional connectors. It can be programmed via an app on Android or Apple mobile devices & a suitable lead. Again see this link for more details.

The AR400, AR600, or AR636 are all good & suitable, Julian, it really depends on personal preference.

Steve Colman07/04/2016 20:26:48
798 forum posts
483 photos

If the model has a servo in each wing then I would go for the AR600 over the AR400 as you can then set up each aileron servo independently.

On another note, with a small foamie such as that I would also consider an Orange RX which you can get for about 8 quid. The 6ch version that comes with 2 aerials and which is simply wrapped with heat shrink is ideal for use in small foamie models. I fly several models with these installed and they're absolutely fine.

Steve.

JulianJ22/04/2016 09:46:22
53 forum posts
11 photos

Gentlemen,

I just wanted to come back to you all on this. I made the decision to follow the principle of "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid!) & went with the AR400. I felt this was a pretty brave move as it is the first model we've flown that has no gyro/stability aids/panic button.

My son & I tentatively launched our little bi-plane for the first time yesterday evening. Despite the failing sunlight, we had a very successful hours flying. We both feel like 'real pilots' now we've flown a four channel model that has no "pilot aids".

Thank you all for your help!

Kind regards

Julian

fly boy322/04/2016 19:48:43
3754 forum posts
22 photos

Congratulations to you both on the maiden flight. Cheers ps we all know the the great feeling.

Don Fry22/04/2016 20:12:08
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Oh wail thee, who have entered this vale of tears and frustration.

Hooked.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!