Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Documentation for OpenTX 2.1

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy4816/04/2016 17:59:41
1550 forum posts
1 photos

Here is a link to a new full set of documentation for OpenTX.

**LINK**

Masher16/04/2016 18:15:37
1109 forum posts
79 photos

Blimey that's a lot of work Martin, thanks very much for that!

Andy4816/04/2016 18:28:30
1550 forum posts
1 photos

Kept me busy yesterday! Too wet to go flying.

Bob Cotsford17/04/2016 09:18:22
8749 forum posts
489 photos

One question - the firmware upgrade instructions include:

"7. Next you will need to make a lead up to transfer the files. The easiest way is to use an extension lead with plugs at one end and sockets at the other and swap the red and brown pins at one end if using Spektrum colours, or the red and black for the Taranis telemetry colours."

Shouldn't this read "an SBUS lead with plugs at both ends"?

Andy4817/04/2016 09:43:48
1550 forum posts
1 photos

No its correct. Firstly the update is done through the Smart Port not the serial bus, and if you read on to para 9 you'll see I suggest connecting it to a sensor lead already connected to the SPort, therefore a simple extension lead works with the power wires crossed.

Incidentally, all new Taranis Plus as well as the X9E are now being shipped out with OpenTX 2.1, so for anybody who hasn't updated, now is the time.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator17/04/2016 10:25:34
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

That's an interesting development that new Taranis are being shipped with 2.1. Originally FrSky said they would not be doing that. They stuck with the position that they shipped with version 1 - it was just a Tx operating system and was, as far as they were officially concerned, fixed at that level, and that was all they would warranty. Of course they acknowledged that users would update, but their official position was "that was their choice and up to them".

So its interestiing to see they have moced to 2.1. But the question I suppose is are they effectively taking the same position here? So are they saying "2.1 is IT, we don't move from there, if you do that's your choice". I wonder.

I can see their position, OpenTx moves fast - at lightening speed comared to the rate of development at most other Tx manufacturers (some parts of the Futaba documentation are still are pachment I beievewink 2). I can see that FrSky can't be expected to be constantly changing what sub version they ship with. Maybe hey have decided to just go with the major version revisions and not the sub version revisoons?

BEB

Bob Cotsford17/04/2016 10:39:53
8749 forum posts
489 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 17/04/2016 09:43:48:

No its correct. Firstly the update is done through the Smart Port not the serial bus, and if you read on to para 9 you'll see I suggest connecting it to a sensor lead already connected to the SPort, therefore a simple extension lead works with the power wires crossed.

Fairy nuff. I did realise it's done through the smart port, I just think of male=male leads as Sbus as that's what I use them for for more than anything else. For firmware updates I use a male-male lead with one end swapped which I store in the TX's module bay.

Steve Balaam17/04/2016 10:47:57
137 forum posts

Excellent piece of work, many thanks for this.

Just what the Taranis Users have been waiting for.

Steve B

Andy4817/04/2016 13:31:26
1550 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/04/2016 10:25:34:

That's an interesting development that new Taranis are being shipped with 2.1. Originally FrSky said they would not be doing that. They stuck with the position that they shipped with version 1 - it was just a Tx operating system and was, as far as they were officially concerned, fixed at that level, and that was all they would warranty. Of course they acknowledged that users would update, but their official position was "that was their choice and up to them".

So its interestiing to see they have moced to 2.1. But the question I suppose is are they effectively taking the same position here? So are they saying "2.1 is IT, we don't move from there, if you do that's your choice". I wonder.

I can see their position, OpenTx moves fast - at lightening speed comared to the rate of development at most other Tx manufacturers (some parts of the Futaba documentation are still are pachment I beievewink 2). I can see that FrSky can't be expected to be constantly changing what sub version they ship with. Maybe hey have decided to just go with the major version revisions and not the sub version revisoons?

BEB

Remember all 9XE were shipped with 2.0 so no great surprise. I suspect FrSky will continue to jump to the latest major updates, as more and more features are added and some oddities are ironed out. There are some historic things bits of the program that are now are very poor. The timer bleeps/haptic/ voice bit is awful and does not work fully, but there are much better countdown methods anyway.

At the moment it would seem they are working on the Horus, and putting most of their energy into that. They must be working in collaboration with the FrSky people to do that.

Martin McIntosh17/04/2016 19:32:00
3544 forum posts
1220 photos

Just joining in if you don`t mind.

Andy4817/04/2016 21:14:07
1550 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/04/2016 10:39:53:
Posted by Andy48 on 17/04/2016 09:43:48:

Fairy nuff. I did realise it's done through the smart port, I just think of male=male leads as Sbus as that's what I use them for for more than anything else. For firmware updates I use a male-male lead with one end swapped which I store in the TX's module bay.

Right, fair enough, either way works just as well. Probably ought to include that option though.

Hopefully though, once all your receivers are done that's if for a few years.crook Notice now they are selling LBT receivers.

Hoping once the docs have had a good airing and I've had a few months to make all the corrections, they will be put on a new OpenTX website they are working on.

Edited By Andy48 on 17/04/2016 21:17:08

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!