Forum sponsored by CML

F22 Foamy for PSS????

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Flyer26/04/2016 17:29:42
631 forum posts
109 photos

Hi Guys,

Just remembered I bought a edf foamy F22 last year; the previous owner had not been able to get it airborne very easily. This may be the quickest way for me to get anything PSS to fly for the May meet.

It needs a bit of tlc, and I am looking to use brown paper and pva to strengthen the foam. also, I'll be removing the fan, and fitting a ballast box in the fuselage. I may check/ add wing spars too.

The question I am faced with is will the tailerons have enough control authority? Baring in mind the wingspan is approx a metre. The other option is to use ailerons too, but use them as a sort of elevon, as the shape of the wing is predominately a delta. Anyone flown something like it slopeside?

cheers

Ade

john stones 126/04/2016 18:03:09
11648 forum posts
1517 photos

I would have thought the tailerons where effective at slow/fast speeds when it was EDF, so why not as a sloper

John

MattyB26/04/2016 18:04:42
2220 forum posts
32 photos

Hehehe, F22, they glide like a brick... Ask user "Scott Edwards 2", he had one - I think it lasted about half a day! Tailerons were highly ineffective from memory, so cut in some ailerons. Don't expect much of a performer though, it really does have terrible aerodynamics for a sloper.

Edited By MattyB on 26/04/2016 18:05:02

Scott Edwards 226/04/2016 19:16:31
225 forum posts
97 photos
Is it the FlyFly F 22 Raptor ? If so, please can I watch ? Pleeeease ? It will fly nice and flat, but tragically only in one direction. Downwards
Flyer27/04/2016 07:44:25
631 forum posts
109 photos

Due to all the positive comments above ( smile p   I feel I must try! I will be blanking off the intakes, so hopefully that will have some positives. As I usually build bricks, this may be just the thing!

Not sure what model it is Scott, but will post pics up on the weekend when I commence the conversion. Will, of course, take video of the maiden. At the end of the day, if it will not fly nice, it's taking up space that could be occupied by something that does.

Cheers

Ade

devil

Flyer27/04/2016 07:44:26
631 forum posts
109 photos

Due to all the positive comments above ( smile p   I feel I must try! I will be blanking off the intakes, so hopefully that will have some positives. As I usually build bricks, this may be just the thing!

Not sure what model it is Scott, but will post pics up on the weekend when I commence the conversion. Will, of course, take video of the maiden. At the end of the day, if it will not fly nice, it's taking up space that could be occupied by something that does.

Cheers

Ade

devil

Scott Edwards 227/04/2016 08:15:12
225 forum posts
97 photos
I tried a couple, the FlyFly F22 and an EFlite F15. I just about got them to fly into wind, and then carefully crab sideways. If you try to fly them across the slope though, they won't turn back into the wind. The conclusion I came to was that the wing planform and section needs airspeed to operate. Drop the airspeed (as in across the slope) and they just fall out of the sky ! It was fun having a go though Bigger slopes could be better, and I have a Hanger 9 Raptor kit that keeps looking at me saying "yeah, gimme a go"

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 27/04/2016 08:16:22

KiwiKid27/04/2016 15:25:22
493 forum posts
481 photos

Good for you Ade. Haters gonna hate - just do you own thing.smiley

Here's some inspiration: **LINK**

That model was a scratch build so presumably had a slope friendly airfoil.

As for your conversion:

- Yes on the brown paper and PVA, that will strengthen the model and provide a smoother surface reducing drag. Before doing that, as you note, you may want to add some spars - these could just be 1x5mm cf strips slotted into the wings top and bottom.

- I think it would be a good idea to add some chunky ailerons and set them up as elevons as you suggest. The tail plane could remain as tailerons or just be used as elevators mixed to operate in conjunction with the elevons. I have this latter set up on my Herring gull and it works well.

Looking forward to some pics.

Scott Edwards 228/04/2016 07:20:00
225 forum posts
97 photos
Definitely go for it,whatever happens it will be fun. The Hanger 9 F22 slopes OK. It's not scale of course, and intended for IC, not EDF so is less draggy. I've got one ready for a go ! It was this vid that tempted me ..
https://youtu.be/1eXB1fw6KkE
KiwiKid07/05/2016 14:17:08
493 forum posts
481 photos

Woot woot F-22 at the Mach Loop.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!