Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Saito 180td

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Black27/04/2016 17:07:38
54 forum posts
1 photos

hi I havee the above engine in a 1/4 scale cub bought it second hand, I have the instructions but I  can't find on them where the factory default mixture settings are. I would like to set to factory setting and start tuning from there. Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Edited By Michael Black on 27/04/2016 17:08:49

trebor27/04/2016 17:11:53
1725 forum posts
213 photos

Have a look here might give you an idea **LINK**

trebor27/04/2016 17:20:16
1725 forum posts
213 photos

Ooo a twin **LINK**

Michael Black27/04/2016 17:28:36
54 forum posts
1 photos

Ha yes trebor a twin, I already have those instructions it tells the default for the high speed needle but not the low speed thanks for trying though.

Mick

trebor27/04/2016 20:07:12
1725 forum posts
213 photos

Just had a look about and couldn't find anything, there is a chap on here called the Engine Doctor or give these a call if your stuck **LINK**

Didn't realise it had twin carbs as well surprise

Jon - Laser Engines27/04/2016 23:14:42
3950 forum posts
153 photos

If its got normal saito carbs I would wind out the slow run until it is flush with the throttle arm and put 2 turns on the mains...actually, who am I kidding? I would just try to start it and see what happened!

Michael Black27/04/2016 23:26:00
54 forum posts
1 photos

Ha yea with you on that started it and it's not bad but doesn't always run on both cylinders. Both high and low ends were quite different for each cylinder, I will sort it just thought if I had a factory spec it would help. cracking looking engine by the way goes realy well in a cub. It's a twin carb with air bleed different to the normal carbs.

Edited By Michael Black on 27/04/2016 23:31:33

Jon - Laser Engines28/04/2016 08:37:17
3950 forum posts
153 photos

ohhh an airbleed. In that case set the screw so that it half blocks the hole and go from there. I use that as my basic rule of thumb. If a cylinder is dropping is usually tuned wrong, has a naff plug, or the compression/valve clearances are not wonderful. As you have a twin carb setup you should be able to tune it up nicely

Engine Doctor28/04/2016 08:39:21
2016 forum posts
20 photos

Hi , I don't know of a default setting as such but a good starting point for the low end mixture can be found as follows. Make sure the valve clearances are set and equal on both cylinders . Also check that throttle linkage between carbs is set so thst each carb is fully closed and opens identically.Open top end mixture 2 to 2 1/2 turns. Now attach a clean length of fuel tubing to the fuel nipple a foot or so long. With the throttle closed blow down this tube while screwing in the low end idle mixture screw until you can't hear any air escaping. Be careful not to over tighten screw but screw in just enough to stop air escaping. Continue to blow and open the screw until you can just hear air escaping. Both cylinders should be set to this stage before running engine This is a good starting point for tuning. Now start engine and tune both carbs for top end performance . Now tune the bottom end/idle mixture screws . Take your time and only adjust mixture by tiny amounts. You may find that one cylinder needs a different setting due to mechanical differences or wear but this should be minimal. Hope this helps .

john wright 1817/04/2018 13:05:46
4 forum posts

i have a Saito 180 in my 1/4 scale Precedent Stampe it seem to use a lot of fuel any help would be appreciated i did find a bit about it as the fault indicated it could be the low end setting of the carb but now i need to find the topic i cant find it thanks in advance for any help

robert chamberlain12/07/2018 02:14:28
74 forum posts

Saito 72 four stroke question. Don't know where else to post it. A couple of years ago there was an article in RCM&E about case venting. As I recall, it stressed a rather short length. If I need to vent the case I would need about 6 inches to get it out of the cowling. Anyone ever put this engine in an ARF Cub 40? The cyl is mounted at the 7o'clock position. How much oil really comes out of this vent anyway? Should I pump after run oil into this? If the front bearing is sealed that would be a problem, won't it? ----------any thoughts? Bob C

Denis Watkins12/07/2018 04:43:03
2963 forum posts
141 photos

Hi Robert, ALL the 4 strokes which vent, drop about a teaspoon full of oil inside your cowl, which is very messy after a while.

it will flow out via gravity downwards through fuel pipe over 6 inches.

the front bearing makes no difference to oiling, and you can put after run in the crankcase through the vent.

With an OS52 in my ARTF40 Cub, flys more than adequately, so the very powerful Saito 72 would be overkill and wasted in this model

john wright 1802/08/2018 18:57:10
4 forum posts

I have a Saito 180 fs running on 10% liquid gold and it seems to be running very hot this is while i tune it at full revs minus its cowl [ precedent stampe] no it idles very nicely basically is it because the cowl is still off thanks for any help

Denis Watkins02/08/2018 19:08:01
2963 forum posts
141 photos

Most 4 strokes get very hot John, especially the silencer

If it is running OK then you should just fly it

And yes, it will get air cooling whilst flying

John Stainforth03/08/2018 00:12:56
207 forum posts
38 photos

I am a big fan of Saito engines and have two 72's, two 100's, two 125's, a 150 and a 180, and the only one I don't like is the 180. I got mine in the US second-hand but apparently new, so I can't be sure it is an absolutely normal, but it seems very different to the others. I think the compression ratio is a lot higher: it i vicious on starting and absolutely guzzles fuel (totally unlike the others), even after several hours of tuning low end etc. I no longer use it and would be happy to more or less give it away.

Charles Smitheman03/08/2018 07:45:22
202 forum posts
17 photos

Hello John, I wonder if your 180's timing is a tooth out perhaps.

Charles

John Stainforth03/08/2018 18:54:00
207 forum posts
38 photos

Charles,

Thanks for the interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a look.

If the timing was out, I imagine that it would have a pretty drastic effect on performance, but would it cause the symptoms I describe?

John

Edited By John Stainforth on 03/08/2018 18:54:39

Jon - Laser Engines03/08/2018 20:36:29
3950 forum posts
153 photos
Posted by John Stainforth on 03/08/2018 00:12:56:

it i vicious on starting and absolutely guzzles fuel (totally unlike the others), even after several hours of tuning low end etc. I no longer use it and would be happy to more or less give it away.

Sounds like a saito 180. I have owned two and they were pretty savage. Lots of power, but not user friendly. I have been told that a shim under the cylinder makes them far more friendly but I didn't care enough to try it!

John Stainforth03/08/2018 22:34:01
207 forum posts
38 photos

Jon,

Thanks for your insight. If this behaviour really is characteristic of the 180 and not the others, why would Saito have singled out this particular engine for such unpleasant treatment? I presumed that their different engines were more or less scale variations of the same basic design.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us