2109 forum posts
77 photos

Did my A cert with this one,great model

Former Member21/05/2016 14:38:27

[This posting has been removed]

Bobby21/05/2016 14:56:56
88 forum posts
152 photos

Hi Gurth. assembled a 52 for my son many years ago, still in his loft with booklet and transfers I guess, never flown as he went on to kite surfing. I on the other hand took copies of all the parts and aerofoil sections on draft paper should we ever needed to repair it, was offered to me but I like slower flying models and more so now I am approaching 80yrs. from my observations of 52s flying they only seemed to like it fast and landing on the high side of cruise ( could just be the pilots ) have hopefully placed a pic of one sheet info just in case of legal rights whatsits and any other observation policedscf6296.jpg

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator21/05/2016 15:05:49
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Jim Carss on 21/05/2016 14:08:46:

I like your style Jim! There can't be many people who can claim to have done an A-cert with a Gangster!

BEB

simon barr21/05/2016 15:43:47
1059 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/05/2016 15:05:49:

I like your style Jim! There can't be many people who can claim to have done an A-cert with a Gangster!

BEB

I did both my A and B with my Gangster 63 back in the late '80s....

Richie Carey Maddog Designs UK21/05/2016 15:49:38
338 forum posts
747 photos
Posted by Derek Stevenson on 21/05/2016 09:48:08:

About 10 years ago I bought a hammer head kit on ebay for £50. It was probably the plane I had the most enjoyment with. Flew like a dream on a 60 two stroke with pipe. It had the foam core wing an decking. Would buy another kit one on ebay at £50, however these things normally only come around once in a lifetime! 😆

Hi Derek, glad you enjoyed your Hammerhead, I still have one of the original 62" Hammerheads with an OS 120 four stroke (pumped) stuck up front. yes I know, grossly over powered, landings were a little fast even on tick over (understatement lol) until I fitted a three blade prop, which, when on tick over helped, as it act as a bit of an airbrake to slow it down. Though its still fast enough get the old blood pumping, the model sounds grate though lol.

Its funny how things turn out, here am I, discussing the Hammerhead on a thread about the Gangster. you see if it wasn't for the Gangster, I would never have designed the Hammerhead. Many years ago, I was luck enough to have built and flown a Gangster model. (Yes I can relate to some of the comments about the quality of the balsa but that was the norm for some kits back then. I remember, building my first trainer 'President Hi Boy' you know that, die-crush kit, I actually re-cut most of the parts myself in order to build a straight model. I didn't complain about it though because, like I said, that was the norm back then)

After building and flying my Gangster 75" I thought it was the 'bees knees' it did what you told it to do and went where you told it to do. in my view you cant aske any more of any model than that. Anyway, following one or two accidents during landing (you know, when your coming in for that perfect, three pointer and the ground suddenly jumps up three feet and deliberately brakes your beloved model, or the wind grabs hold of it and slams it into the ground. my god this is a brutal hobby at times. its fortunate that I never suffer from pilot error, isn't it lol) well my fourth little (accident) was a black bin bag job. I took the bits home with intention of savaging what I could, then binning the rest. however, back home in my workshop I had a 6million dollar man moment and thought we can rebuild her. so I did. but because I had rebuilt it so many times before, I decided to glass the entire model to help add a little structural integrity back into it. This is when I really fell in love with the Gangster. you see, the repair and glassing of the model, had added a little (lot of) weight to it and boy did this transform the performance of the Gagster, turning it from the 'bees knees' into the 'Mutts Nutts' I flew my gangster for many years after that, it was my main hack. Until the day I had an argument with a four tier wire fence. I had been practicing strafing runs in preparation for flying a Hawker Typhoon I had just finished building. this involved flying over and down the side of a little hill, which I had done many time that day but this was that last flight of the day. You know, that, just one more flight that everyone knows you should avoid like the plague. The wind had picked up a bit, and just as I got over the hill the model hit turbulence. That was it, the model was being sucked down into the ground, I opened the throttle fully to try and fight my way out of trouble but all this did was increase the speed of the inevitable impact. The model hit the wire fence at almost full speed resulting in what can only be described as an explosion. there was foam and balsa everywhere, the only thing I managed to salvage was the motor. Everything else, servos, battery pack and receiver were destroyed.

This was when I decided that I would design something to replace the Gangster. I wanted something that I could fly in all weathers, something I could practice aerobatics with or just potter around the sky with. in short 'another hack model' and so the Hammerhead was borne. Thank you Mr Reeves for endless hour of fun and for inspiring me to design my own models.

richie

Richie Carey Maddog Designs UK21/05/2016 15:50:24
338 forum posts
747 photos
Posted by Derek Stevenson on 21/05/2016 09:48:08:

About 10 years ago I bought a hammer head kit on ebay for £50. It was probably the plane I had the most enjoyment with. Flew like a dream on a 60 two stroke with pipe. It had the foam core wing an decking. Would buy another kit one on ebay at £50, however these things normally only come around once in a lifetime! 😆

About the price, I and many manufacturers like me are producing kits that offer very little profit margin, sign of the times when competing with cheep imports. This, in I my case is down to the fact that I am trying to keep the kits I produce British. And with the exception of one or two fittings in the kits. Everything from laser/router cutting to vac formed canopies and carbon undercarriages etc. Are produced or the materials used to manufacture parts are sourced right her in the UK. Yes I could easily have, passed my designs over to some Chinese company to produce my kits on the cheap and cream off more profits for my lavish lifestyle. however I am of the opinion that, if supporting British manufacturing means cutting a little off my profit margin, this is a small price to pay. Now I am in the early stages of kit manufacturing, therefore I don't have the space in my current workshop to store large quantities of materials. Which means that I don't have the option of cheaper bulk buying.

We are trying to put Britain back on the kit manufacturing map so to speak. and we need your help. So please, when you look at the price of a British produced kit (not those designed in Britain then manufactured in China) please remember that you are also paying for the service we provide. Anyone building one of my kits, who may get stuck with something or may want to change elements of the models to suit themselves. Only have to pick up the phone and you will get to speak to the designer, not some salesman who in all likelihood has no idea how the model works, and then you have the spare parts. how many of you have had to wait weeks for a replacement wing or canopy that has been damaged or in some extreme cases these parts are just not available.

Help support us, and we will produce kit that you can be prod of.

Thanks

Richie

Richie Carey Maddog Designs UK21/05/2016 16:16:20
338 forum posts
747 photos

Jim that picture brings back some memories haha

Richie

Jim Carss21/05/2016 18:49:10
2109 forum posts
77 photos

PV

Yes it is the lite version, had it for years,goes like stink with 55ax up front,goes vertical from take off.£75 for the kit.

BEB

The examiner couldn't wait to get his hands on it after the A test,he never stopped smiling while flying it.

A great design that will go down in history methinks.

wink 2

Former Member21/05/2016 19:05:11

Masher21/05/2016 19:15:04
1106 forum posts
79 photos

Irvine 53 a perfect match PV!

gangster 1.jpg

Former Member21/05/2016 19:29:33

graham Ives 121/05/2016 21:52:13
8 forum posts

Does anyone have the parts drawn out and instruction book for the original 63?

Cheers

Graham

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!