Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Blue Tail Flies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Bowdler19/08/2016 12:10:13
37 forum posts
30 photos

Finished the exhaust cowl this morning, except for painting it.

The poster board / glass / epoxy moulding worked a treat. I added two layers of 25g glass to the inside and then trimmed it to size.

sky hawk cowl moulding.jpg

My drawing of the A4-C shows the area between the top of the cowl and underside of the fin as being completely filled so I made a shroud to fit this area and enclose the elevator linkage. The sides are 1/16" ply with horizontal and vertical balsa spacers at the rear end. It fits nicely inside the tail plane doublers and there is enough clearance for the push rod to operate.

sky hawk cowl parts.jpg

The two parts were then loose fitted to the fuse and then bonded together with thick CA.

sky hawk cowl complete.jpg

It would have been better if I could have tapered the trailing edge to match the fin section but that would have made the shroud too narrow for the linkage at full up throw so I hade to compromise and settle for just blending the rear edge as best I could.

I want to be able to remove the cowl in case I need to get at the linkage inside so the whole thing slides on from the back. I shall hold it in place with four micro servo screws.

Should look good once painted.

Andy Meade19/08/2016 12:20:15
2596 forum posts
679 photos

That is a really nice job there Stephen - a shame you got to that stage this late, as I'm sure you could have flogged a few mouldings to the group!

Phil Cooke19/08/2016 17:04:43
2244 forum posts
1532 photos

Looks great that Steve - very neat solution!

Stephen Bowdler03/09/2016 17:09:56
37 forum posts
30 photos

Just about finished my Sky Hawk in time - next week I will be in Cornwall flying with a few friends so no building time left before the Orme next weekend.

sky hawk 1.jpg

sky hawk 2.jpg

dsc_8300_5660.jpg

Harry Twist03/09/2016 19:20:38
294 forum posts
204 photos

Cracking work Stephen - looks great. Can I ask - did you hand paint the matt black jet inlets and anti flash area in front of the pilot ?

John H. Rood03/09/2016 19:24:12
182 forum posts
239 photos

Soooo cool!!!

Stephen Bowdler03/09/2016 19:50:21
37 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Harry,

The black areas where painted in the same way as the rest of the model - masked and the sprayed with aerosol paint.

Stephen Bowdler03/09/2016 19:53:29
37 forum posts
30 photos

Thanks Harry,

The black areas where painted in the same way as the rest of the model - masked and the sprayed with aerosol paint.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us